MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 File database mod? Anyone?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Schwanke

77 Posts

Posted - 08 August 2002 :  16:23:17  Show Profile  Visit Schwanke's Homepage
Has anyone found a mod that would allow you to have a file database? I am talking about the files actually being in the database for security reasons so that you could allow/deny access much the same way as with the forums.

I run a public/private snitz forum and we have use of uploading files to each other that we dont want shared with the world. I am probably going to have to cludge my own solution if I dont find something nifty but I was hoping to, well, find something nifty. :)

Obviosly I want it to work with 3.4 since Ill be upgrading to that to get all the new features that would require mods now.

An added requirement is that it works with access97 since thats the database system we are using and I cant work with anything newer.

Thanks for any help. Wish I could subscribe to this thread.

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 08 August 2002 :  16:55:48  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
That's simply unpractical since there is a 'real' size limitation to an Access database file, that would limit the number of files you could store inside the database.

So I don't think you can have that type of feature being run from an Access DB, except for small demos. And using Access 97 would even make it worse. Access 2000 should be the minimum to use.

-------------------------------------------------
Installation Guide | Do's and Dont's | MODs
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 08 August 2002 :  20:25:40  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I wouldn't even attempt it with Access, since it does not have a proper BLOB field which you need if you wan to store files in it.

It is not a very efficient use of a SQL server, files are best stored on a file server, you can set up security so that they can only be downloaded via a script, and are not viewable from th web, what other security do you want.

Subscriptions are not enabled here because it puts too much load on the server
Go to Top of Page

Schwanke

77 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2002 :  13:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Schwanke's Homepage
Hmm. Well thanks for the info atleast. I can stop trying to write my own. LOL. :)

Umm. Well my issue is that I dont think my web service provider supports that kind of security. But I can always ask.

<><
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07