*Unofficial* Snitz doc's and Addons
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 24 December 2000 :  23:43:26  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
Well I'm just now getting the preliminary stuff done, layout etc... But I plan to have open within a couple weeks an 'unofficial' snitz doc's and addons site. Providing documentation written by me and other people on things such as: how to handle members, assign moderators, edit/delete/lock/move topics, and all that sort of stuff you get SOOOOOO many posts here about. Its nowhere near done yet, but http://www.cfm-resources.com/s/stimscripts (I didnt want to make a new account, and this one had nothing in it, so forgive the irrelavance of the url).

In the meantime, if you have any doc's you wanna submit, ship them over to da_stimulator@hotmail.com and I'll put them in. When its done I plan to have a submission form via the web to make this easier.

Also included will be a snitz addons/mods section (a better version than my previous failure...) which will include mods/addons and stuff.

I will make this site whether or not you guys make official documentation or not... so.... Unless you dont want me to make it then I wont.

Send you idea's, thoughts, insights, death threats, critisizms, submissions, retractions to da_stimulator@hotmail.com or post them here.

Da_Stimulator
Stimmy's Forums - Using 3.1 SR3
"We all die someday, but your goin down before I do" - Me<

Reinsnitz
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 25 December 2000 :  19:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Reinsnitz's Homepage  Send Reinsnitz an AOL message  Send Reinsnitz an ICQ Message  Send Reinsnitz a Yahoo! Message
Well... I think it's a great idea... but why be "Unofficial"? I think we would gladly Officialy endorse what you do... and set you up with an appropriate URL to boot I'd just need to know what URL would be best suited for this kind of site... like forummods.snitz.com or mods.forum.snitz.com or something... just let me know... we'll do it up right

Reinsnitz (Mike)
><)))'>
<
Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 25 December 2000 :  20:09:55  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
heh, well if you officially endorse it, then I gotta come up with a better design, or I could just use Snitz's basic layout.

Dosnt matter to me what url is used... appropriate ones that jump out at me are:
forumdocs.snitz.com
docs.forum.snitz.com

Because it will be more online documentation and help than Addons and such... Just a place to reference to for all those FAQ's in the forum, but with more in depth information than a normal faq.

Da_Stimulator
Stimmy's Forums - Using 3.1 SR3
"We all die someday, but your goin down before I do" - Me<
Go to Top of Page

Reinsnitz
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 27 December 2000 :  23:30:16  Show Profile  Visit Reinsnitz's Homepage  Send Reinsnitz an AOL message  Send Reinsnitz an ICQ Message  Send Reinsnitz a Yahoo! Message
quote:

heh, well if you officially endorse it, then I gotta come up with a better design, or I could just use Snitz's basic layout.

Dosnt matter to me what url is used... appropriate ones that jump out at me are:
forumdocs.snitz.com
docs.forum.snitz.com

Because it will be more online documentation and help than Addons and such... Just a place to reference to for all those FAQ's in the forum, but with more in depth information than a normal faq.

Anyone have any other ideas? since neither of us seem realy sure of what to call this new "Documentation Reference" website?

Your ideas/comments are welcome!

Reinsnitz (Mike)
><)))'>
<
Go to Top of Page

frankie

Vatican City
304 Posts

Posted - 28 December 2000 :  00:26:24  Show Profile  Visit frankie's Homepage  Send frankie an AOL message  Send frankie an ICQ Message  Send frankie a Yahoo! Message
faq.forum.snitz.com

Just a thought!!

Note: you can call the FAQ link on this site here, HELP instead!

ô¿~

Edited by - frankie on 28 December 2000 00:30:42<
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 28 December 2000 :  08:37:09  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
I was working on a format for official documentation using Tex (you can read here why that isn't done yet).
That made it possible to edit one textfile (with any text-editor), add the needed markup to convert it to HTML (with frames navigation), RTF (when imported in Word including index) and Windows Helpfile.
Because I own a copy of Adobe Acrobat I can also convert it to PDF including clickable index.

I use the Tex2RTF converter version 1.64 (freeware) to do the converting.
All these versions can be generated in 5 minutes time after updating the source-file.

Da_Stimulator,

Please do start with the documentation if you like. If you use HTML with as little markup as possible it won't be that hard to convert it to Tex once I had some time to work on it (might be a few weeks). If you use screendumps please create them in both JPG and WMF.

I aggree with Mike that we can make this official documentation.

Pierre Gorissen <
Go to Top of Page

kycable

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 19 January 2001 :  02:44:47  Show Profile  Visit kycable's Homepage  Send kycable an AOL message
Pierre,

After making about 55 pages of the documentation already I had sent Mike a copy of the first 5 pages that I have done. Currently I am up to page 56 of the document.
The first 53 pages is for installation and admin functions, I am currently on the top level and user functions for the board. If you would like a copy of what I have, please let me know and I will send it to you.

Jeff Brown
Web Zone Complete
<Snitz with many addons><
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 19 January 2001 :  03:10:11  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
quote:

After making about 55 pages of the documentation already I had sent Mike a copy of the first 5 pages that I have done. Currently I am up to page 56 of the document.
The first 53 pages is for installation and admin functions, I am currently on the top level and user functions for the board. If you would like a copy of what I have, please let me know and I will send it to you.

Jeff,

I would like to have a copy (please).
One thing I want to make sure you, and anyone that writes "official documentation" understand:

If documentation is going to be official, it is going to be released as freeware under the GPL license, that means you won't be able to earn money on it by just selling copies of the documentation even if you wrote part of it. Neither will anybody else for that matter.
There will be however be a "credits" page were on a chapter per chapter basis those who wrote the chapter or helped writing the chapter will be given due credit.
This probably is going to be a huge team development thing but you don't have to be afraid that you would write 56 pages and end up seeing them in a manual without the right credits given.

Did you download Tex2RTF and/or code the pages with that or did you use Word ?

Pierre<
Go to Top of Page

redbrad0
Advanced Member

USA
3725 Posts

Posted - 19 January 2001 :  06:51:55  Show Profile  Visit redbrad0's Homepage  Send redbrad0 an AOL message
i think faq.snitz.com or forum.snitz.com/faq or as frankie said faq.forum.snitz.com

Brad<
Go to Top of Page

kycable

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 19 January 2001 :  19:11:54  Show Profile  Visit kycable's Homepage  Send kycable an AOL message
Pierre
I have not downloaded it yet, I am currently working on all of the variables, and functions in the programming section. I have basically just "cut and paste" the FAQ section to make it look full. Due to my stupidity I overwrote all of the work I have done, I will E-Mail you what I have.

Redbrad, I will also implement a FAQ section in the manual. There will be several version of it... HTML, PDF, DOC, and TXT formats... I will also be looking for a "unix/linux" EMAC version and Apple version as well.

Jeff Brown
Web Zone Complete
<Snitz with many addons><
Go to Top of Page

Roger Stenning
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 01 April 2002 :  04:47:42  Show Profile  Visit Roger Stenning's Homepage
I dunno if this would help others or not, but a graphical flowchart of the way that the forum operates, naming the files called for different functions, and how they display on the default page, would be useful in any such documantation. Just my five pence worth.

Aside: It's actually make it easier, IMHO, for people with minimal knowledge of ASP, but with good working knowledge of HTML, to modify the look of the forums, I suspect. It's actually a problem that I've encountered in trying to modify my copy, by the way; I'll get there in the end, but a layout flowchart would do wonders!

Cheers,

Roger Stenning,
Editor and Webmaster,
Practical Airsoft (http://www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/)

Editied for telling sperrors!

Edited by - Roger Stenning on 01 April 2002 04:49:52<
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07