Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 02 February 2002 :  16:31:31  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
Ok, here goes, a second try at getting this thing going:

What I did is:

I took the structure suggested by Sabre Cat here and converted it into a Docbook structure using separate files for each chapter.
I uploaded the files to Sourceforge using CVS. You can find the sourcefiles here.
You can see the results of running the build using just this frame here (scroll down).

Because I want writers to be able to upload their textfiles, I'm going to use SourceForge.

This is how I want to suggest we start:

* If you like to contribute, just pick one chapter
* If you don't have a Sourceforge account yet, register for a free account
* Goto the tracker for the documentation, check that nobody else is writing the chapter yet, and announce that you are going to do it (here).
* Get the template from CVS, add the text
* Submit the file using the tracker so that it can be included.

I haven't added a credits page yet, but if you contribute by writing a chapter or more, I'll add your name to that page.

Pierre
Join a Snitz Mailinglist<

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 02 February 2002 :  17:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage

With this system in place, I dont know if there is a need for the inbox and outbox forums.

Nathan Bales - Romans 15:13
---------------------------------

Snitz Exchange | Mod Resource
<
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  00:22:17  Show Profile
We can use the info from the pop_config_help.asp to fill in some of the sections. Insteading of re-writing them. Richard updated all of it for the 3.4 version. So every admin function in the admin options has a help section for it.

- David<
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  00:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
There is no point in trying to write documentation targeted at version 3.3.03 is there. . .

**Sees a new banner above Snitz.

<
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  01:06:53  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
quote:

We can use the info from the pop_config_help.asp to fill in some of the sections. Insteading of re-writing them. Richard updated all of it for the 3.4 version. So every admin function in the admin options has a help section for it.

We can start by adding those and then adding extra info were needed/available.

Even if the info that is in the documents is for version 3.3.03 for now, updating it when 3.4 is available is less work than starting from scratch by then.

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  03:48:34  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
I started with some of the info from the online help.
You can see that for the manual there are a lot of places where more info/help is needed.
i.e the authentication type. The online help just says that you can select either one of them, but doesn't explain what one does and what the other does, or what you need to do before you'll be able to use NT authentication etc. etc.

The documentation framework might need some work also, i.e. changing a couple of sect1 sections to sect2 sections because there is way to little info in them for a complete html page.

I added revision codes to the chapter, so you now can see what revision you are looking at. Source-files and examples are re-uploaded to sourceforge.
See this topic if you need instructions on how to get the files using CVS.

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  11:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Using the tracker is confusing. Are there any instructions for it other then the popup helps?

<
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  12:16:51  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
quote:

Using the tracker is confusing. Are there any instructions for it other then the popup helps?

You managed to post an item telling that you are going to write the chapter about the bad word filter.
I could ask you to explain what you did, or what was confusing....
The alternative is to use the forum here, but I don't think sending the files to me by mail is such a good idea, we used to do that with MOD files and sometimes they got lost in my account.
So that would restrict this to people that have a place to upload the files. If that is not a problem, it is fine with me, and we'll move back to the DOC forum here at once.

Any objections/suggestions ??

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  16:30:40  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
I managed to post that I was going to do it, then I updated it with the file when I finished it. Is that how I'm supposed to do it?

<
Go to Top of Page

mbiolsi
Starting Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  18:22:26  Show Profile  Visit mbiolsi's Homepage  Send mbiolsi an AOL message  Send mbiolsi an ICQ Message  Send mbiolsi a Yahoo! Message
I am wondering... are you making it too hard for people to get involved with this project? All of the above, including the 5 parts on how to write the doc is WAY over my head and WAY too much time to invest.

Did you notice that a LOT of people have viewed the forum but nobody, other than admins, have actually done anything? Perhaps you need to step back and try to get a simple Word file to start and then it would take no time for someone with the expertise to cut and paste into whatever else you wanted.

By trade I am a pastor, and I have learned that if you make it too hard for volunteers to help they will get discouraged and you will not get the involvement that you desire. Make it as easy as possible for people to get involved, keep the structure simple and you will be able to get this off the ground.

Just a thot...

Mike

<
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  20:46:47  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Tell ya what, if you want to do a section, post it in this forum and I, or someone else who is comfertable with XML, will translate it for you.

The method (DocBook) that Gor has chosen is perfect for the needs. It means we can have only one set of docs that need updated, but we can output it in many different forms.

The way to checkout and submitt files is still confusing. . . but we will either have to get used to it or not.

Gor - If I use images, do I just attach the image files to the 'checkout/checkin' form like I did the xml file?

<edit value="I just had an idea, could HuwR's file attach mod (restricted to img and xml files) be implemented on the doc forum? (or set up another forum elseware that we could use the mod) Then we (forum people) could use these forums rather than the CVS, which is confusing.

Edited by - Nathan on 03 February 2002 20:52:33<
Go to Top of Page

Rasco
Advanced Member

Germany
3192 Posts

Posted - 04 February 2002 :  16:52:45  Show Profile  Send Rasco an ICQ Message
Haven`t read all, so far. But to this point, it looks very good. Hope, I can help you.
Go, reading the other stuff....

<
Go to Top of Page

mbiolsi
Starting Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2002 :  15:09:43  Show Profile  Visit mbiolsi's Homepage  Send mbiolsi an AOL message  Send mbiolsi an ICQ Message  Send mbiolsi a Yahoo! Message
Found some documentation for a User's Guide posted here:

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=2&TOPIC_ID=21860

Hope this is helpful?

<
Go to Top of Page

gor
Retired Admin

Netherlands
5511 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2002 :  15:39:39  Show Profile  Visit gor's Homepage
Sorry, weekend ended, work is kind of busy, will get back on the topic asap.

Pierre
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07