MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 I have a question...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vweyes

74 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2002 :  19:47:13  Show Profile
I am making a little mod for my forum that will help search engine spiders see what we are discussing. The way it works is it takes all of my topics and replies and puts them on a single asp page. I have two questions about this:

What code can I put in the asp that will automatically re-direct to the main forum page, as soon the page is visited so the person doesn't have to load the entire page?

What code can I put in the asp file that will give the page a unique name?

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2002 :  19:53:54  Show Profile
quote:

I am making a little mod for my forum that will help search engine spiders see what we are discussing. The way it works is it takes all of my topics and replies and puts them on a single asp page. I have two questions about this:

Do you mean it'll make a new ASP page for each topic?

quote:

What code can I put in the asp that will automatically re-direct to the main forum page, as soon the page is visited so the person doesn't have to load the entire page?

This one I don't get... sorry

quote:

What code can I put in the asp file that will give the page a unique name?

If you're going to make a new page for each topic, you can use the topic title for the page title and the topic id as the URL so it'd look like http://www.yourserver.com/yoursite/topicid23242.asp

Roland

http://www.frutzle.com

Snitz Exchange | Snitz Icons | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

vweyes

74 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2002 :  20:00:26  Show Profile
no, it's not even a new page for each topic... it's one single page that holds all the topics. I'll try to explain this better. Every single one of the topics is going to be held on the page "page.asp" (not the actual name of the page, but just as an example). When someone searches in a search engine and finds the page page.asp, they would click on it. Now, instead of loading the entire page.asp (because it would hold ALL of the topics and replies), how can I make it so that as soon as the person visits page.asp, it redirects them to default.asp?

Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2002 :  20:16:10  Show Profile
Well, you could do a check to see that if the referring page isn't of the same domain, then the visitor should be redirected. This should prevent the page from redirecting searchengine spiders as they go through the entire site.

There's a topic in the Help: General/Current Version from a week or two, maybe three ago where someone wanted that done with the forums' default.asp: user had to have visited a certain site first or (s)he would be redirected. I'll see if I can find it, but I'd appreciate it if you took a look for yourself too

Roland

http://www.frutzle.com

Snitz Exchange | Snitz Icons | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

vweyes

74 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2002 :  20:27:40  Show Profile
thanks, I found it... I just had to add

Response.redirect("URL")

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07