New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2002 :  20:12:20  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
I need help. I would like to get help in either creating a MOD or a script (probably more like a MOD though) ... that will give me a user named Demo with a password called demo, which will only allow Demo to have "read" capability on my site. I don't want the user to have any "write" capabilities. I don't know how to program this though it may be so easy it'll make a person laugh. I'm all thumbs here!

I've seen several useful MODs to deter people from registering and then never coming back. What I want is to either have a link where a prospective memeber can click on a link called Demo or have it as part of the registration process where a person could access the site using the Demo username and demo password.

Either way the user will be taken to a special page (I can do this part) where they will be introduced to the different features of the site in a glorified "Help" file with snapshots, etc of the site along with readme tutorials, etc. (I haven't decided how much time I am going to put into this part, but it's something that the other members will be using too - not sure yet what to do exactly).

Esentially, I want the prospective member to be able to view what a normal member would view, except I don't want the user to be able to edit anything. This way, the Demo profile can be used by others, and it shouldn't be tampered with like with someone changing the password, etc.

I suppose this could get into a very detailed MOD. What I mostly want is just to know how to give a user read permissions only.

Thanks for the help,

Etymon

Are you looking for answers at Snitz? | Searching the forums is easiest!
Basic | Advanced (Internet Explorer only)

Edited by - Etymon on 24 July 2002 20:25:42

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2002 :  20:20:30  Show Profile
All you'd have to do is edit post.asp to display a "you're not allowed to use this feature" message if the person trying to make the post, is one with member_id X
At least, if all you want to do is make sure the Demo user doesn't post.

Roland

http://www.frutzle.com

Snitz Exchange | Snitz Icons | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2002 :  20:33:12  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

Right, I don't want them to be able to post. I have Private Messages installed and the PM Pager. I do want them to be able to see the functionality and the messsages but I do not want them to be able to delete the messages that will be "preprogrammed" into the Demo account.

I want the account to "look" like a very busy active account where posts were made, replies were sent, etc.

It's sort of like a virtual tour I suppose.

Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2002 :  21:14:51  Show Profile
Posted in the wrong topic I'll come back here to reply in a minute...

Roland

Edited by - FrutZle on 24 July 2002 21:15:58
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2002 :  21:30:28  Show Profile
Well, if you have the member ID of the Demo user, all you have to do is this:

<% if (member_id = "X") then %>
<p align="center"><font face="<% =strDefaultFontFace %>" color="<% =strForumFontColor %>" size="<% =strHeadFontSize %>">You're not an official member of these forums. Please <a href="policy.asp">register</a> if you wish to use this function of the forums.</font></p>
<!--#include file="inc_footer.asp"-->
<% Response.End
end if %>

That ought to do it. All you'd have to do was insert the correct member_id, find the correct place to add that code and make sure it's put in correctly (no <% and/or %> if you're pasting inside an ASP block). It should work just fine.

Roland

Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2002 :  17:50:24  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Cool, thanks!

Ok, so if I want them to not post I would put that in post.asp.

How about if I didn't want them to have editing access to anything at all? As in, the Demo user account would be like a normal member in that the user could see all the functions and novelties that a normal user would see, but they would not be allowed to add anything to it nor take anything away from it?

I want them to be able to see all the MODs in action, etc. ... I want them to be able to browse what the site has to offer but not be able to manipulate any part of it.

Where would I place that kind of coding?

Behind the scenes, as the admin I would be the only one who could edit that account.

By the way, thanks for offering icons on your site!

Etymon

Edited by - Etymon on 25 July 2002 18:01:55
Go to Top of Page

James
Average Member

USA
539 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2002 :  15:12:40  Show Profile  Visit James's Homepage
It should be possible to find anywhere a write is made to the database (or a cookie), and put in a check for the member_id = "X". This would make it that the demo user could use all the features of the forum without making any changes to the database or cookies. Wouldn't this be about the best way of handling it?

-
*Interested in Radio Control*
*The RC Web Board - http://www.rcwebboard.com/*
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07