Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GriffinGold
Starting Member

Portugal
5 Posts

Posted - 11 July 2002 :  14:59:43  Show Profile
Hi all.

I have upgraded from Snitz 3.1 SR4 to the latest 3.3.05 version.
In the meantime I installed Email Validation Mod. Nice code, congrats.

My question is: having an already somewhat big member list, and implementing the email validation mod, is it possible to make the current members register with a valid email address? Or by other means, is it possible to send validation keys to the emails of the members already registered without their intervention (not changing their email)?

If someone had the same idea, please answer back.

Thanks,
GriffinGold

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 12 July 2002 :  21:43:24  Show Profile
If you manually validate exisitng members, what do you do to thier accounts in the meantime? Lock them?

«------------------------------------------------------»
What new features are going to be in the 3.4
version? See the 3.4 UnOfficial Features List !
Go to Top of Page

GriffinGold
Starting Member

Portugal
5 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2002 :  07:05:08  Show Profile
Thanks for the answer Davio.

I don't validate the users manually, neither am I thinking in doing it. The problem is related to already registered members that can have fake emails.
Implementing the email validation mod will protect from new registrations, but what about the existing ones?

Maybe there could be an alternative that you could email the entire member list (or some of them) with different activation keys. In the meantime you could say: "To continue posting in this forum you need to check the validation key sent day "x" to your email "x"

Regards,
GriffinGold
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2002 :  13:59:56  Show Profile
I fully understand what you are saying.
I just want to know what do you do to thier accounts while thier email addresses are being validated. With the validation mod, when a new user registers, thier account is put on hold until they validate thier email address. So they can't login until they validate htier email address.

So what do you have in mind when already registered users are being validated? Do they still continue using thier accounts? But that would make the email validation useless. So I would think you need to lock thier accounts. Would you want to lock your moderators and Admins accounts too until they have validated thier email address?

And what if thier email address is a fake. They won't get the link to validate thier email address. So how will they know they need to re-register? And if they re-register, what about all the posts they already made to the forum?

I could go on and on. So you can see why I didn't implement any such feature about validating existing members.

«------------------------------------------------------»
What new features are going to be in the 3.4
version? See the 3.4 UnOfficial Features List !

Edited by - Davio on 13 July 2002 14:01:16
Go to Top of Page

GriffinGold
Starting Member

Portugal
5 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2002 :  12:50:28  Show Profile
Hi Davio,

Ok, so you could put the accounts on hold (locking them) or you could simply not let them post or reply to any messages. Nevertheless the account would be functional.
I think locking admins isn't that much important since they (usually) are of confidence. About moderators it depends, so maybe it should be better to make the solution for them too.

If their email address is a fake (the point of the solution is to prevent this) they would be unable to logon or post any messages.
Possible consequences:
1- The user leaves (so I would think it's contribution is not that important)
2- The user creates another account (fine, since it has to put a valid email address)
3- The user contacts the admins by email to resolve the matter

None of the accounts would need to be re-created since the admin has fully access to the members profile and could change the email by itself. Yes, it could be a lot of hard work but the point of this would be to make every single user register with a valid address. I'm guessing a lot of people put a valid one.

What do you think?

Regards,
GriffinGold
Go to Top of Page

James
Average Member

USA
539 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2002 :  22:33:54  Show Profile  Visit James's Homepage
What you may want to do is send a generic e-mail out to all your users letting them know that the forum has been upgraded. Then wait and see what e-mails get bounced back. The ones that get bounced back should be investigated further to see if they are fake addresses, etc.

-
*Interested in Radio Control*
*The RC Web Board - http://www.rcwebboard.com/*
Go to Top of Page

GriffinGold
Starting Member

Portugal
5 Posts

Posted - 18 July 2002 :  11:48:47  Show Profile
Hi James,

That solution is the most simple and maybe one of the possible way outs of the upgrade.
I have already added the email mod for that purpose.

Hope there aren't many bouncing emails.

Thanks,
GriffinGold
Go to Top of Page

James
Average Member

USA
539 Posts

Posted - 18 July 2002 :  22:58:41  Show Profile  Visit James's Homepage
Just don't kill all the accounts that get bounced back. Read the messages as most ISP send a reason the e-mail is being returned. Sometimes the users account is just over their limit, etc.

-
*Interested in Radio Control*
*The RC Web Board - http://www.rcwebboard.com/*
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07