New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MDGamezz

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 19 July 2002 :  13:42:12  Show Profile  Send MDGamezz an AOL message  Send MDGamezz an ICQ Message
Looks good so far from what I've seen.
I'll keep you posted if I find anything else.

Thanks

MDGamezz
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 19 July 2002 :  18:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
I haven't worked on my forum in over three days. Will d/load the files tonight and give them a look over this weekend. Thanks for the MOD! Can't wait!

Sincerely,

Etymon

Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 July 2002 :  01:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
quote:

The zip and text files have been updated to fix a minor glitch involving Anonymous Users.

quote:
Awesome! Can't wait to see how you did it.

Etymon, the text file contains a fully commented version of this MOD, so you can see exactly how it works.

c ya in the funny books
MeTV - tvthemetunes.net - forums
house of design - graphic design consultants

"No one can earn a million dollars honestly."

Edited by - MeTV on 17 July 2002 07:17:27

Ok, I am at home now. Going to try and do this this morning. Hmm ... *grabs coffee mug!*

By the way, thanks again for making this MOD!

Talk to you in a bit.

Etymon

Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 July 2002 :  01:32:50  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

Ok, I'm using Access2000 with Personal Web Server on my PC at home. This is the message I got using Huwr's admin_mod_dbsetup.asp ...

I'll create a workaround, just thought someone else might encounter the same.

brb

Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 July 2002 :  01:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

I think what you are wanting to do is to insert the new records of strShowModeratorsForum and strShowAUForum into the existing field of C_VARIABLE ... and the values of 1 and 1 into the existing field of C_VALUE.

In your dbs file you have:

MeTV's Who's Here Mod
[INSERT]
CONFIG_NEW
(strShowModeratorsForum,strShowAUForum)#(1,1)
[END]

but it doesn't explain to the database which fields to put the records in.

It should look like this:

MeTV's Who's Here Mod
[INSERT]
CONFIG_NEW
(C_VARIABLE,C_VALUE)#('strShowModeratorsForum','1')
(C_VARIABLE,C_VALUE)#('strShowAUForum','1')

[END]

Edited by - Etymon on 20 July 2002 01:51:40
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 July 2002 :  02:52:25  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

Ok, I got it working ... it looks really nice!

A few things I had to tweak.

Your site has a black background, so the font color of "white" looks good in your forum. In the Admin Options under Font/Table Color Code Configuration, there is an option called Default Font Color:, so instead of hard-coding the font color of white perhaps remind your new MOD user to go to their Admin Options in "Font/Table Color Code Configuration" to tweak that color. This way they will see a font they can easily control the color of.

Next, for ease of implementing other MODs around yours and for unistallation purposes, whenever there is a "replace this with that" instruction, in your help file, it might be better to actually start your replacement beneath your '################ Begin MeTV's Who's Here Mod #### area.

For example, step #'s 3, 4, and 6 have code above the '#### area that is meant to be included in the replacement effort. It should be beneath it. The same goes for the bottom of the replacement instructions. All the replacement code should be before the '### area. This makes for a clean presentation of your replacement code.

Lastly, on step #7, I fear that newbies to ASP and Snitz might literally do what your seeming to ask.

For the first part of step #7 you have this:

7. Upload forum.asp, admin_config_features.asp, admin_config_activeusers.asp, config.asp and pop_config_help.asp to your forum directory. ...

I don't think you meant to tell people to literally take those files (yours) and upload them into their forum.

I think you meant that if they have a clean version of Snitz v3.03.05 that they can upload those files, but if this is the case, this should be a separate instruction somewhere in the beginning of the procedure.

Step #'s 1-7 should be declared as an install procedure for an existing forum with other MODs already installed.

--------------------------------------------------------

For the second part of step #7 you have this:

7. To complete installation, go to Feature Configuration and Config Active Users in your Admin Options and make sure Show Moderators In Forums and Show Active Users In Forums are turned on.

I think you meant something like this:

7. To complete the installation:

1) Go to Admin Options and log in as the Admin.
2) Then, go to Feature Configuration and make sure that Show Moderators In Forums is turned "on".
3) Finally, go to Config Active Users in your and make sure Show Active Users is turned "on".

----------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, I am using both IE and Netscape. I have one user logged in as the Admin and another as just a common user with no special privledges (spelling?).

Anyway, I have each browsing a different forum, but I still get the same text from your MOD ... "Users browsing this forum:". Since neither are in the same forum, the text might should read ... "Users browsing these forums". The differences between the two phrases is this changed to these and forum changed to forums.

Is this happening with anyone else?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't mean to butcher your help file, but I think it is a great MOD, and you did a fine job on the coding side, especially with networking with other Snitz members to get it off the ground!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your MODs!

Great job!

Etymon

Edited by - Etymon on 20 July 2002 03:24:22
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 July 2002 :  03:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

MeTV?

I think what you are trying to do is what another Snitz member did last year with a MOD called WhosInside. The member's name is GauravBhabu, and you can download that MOD at http://www.forumsquare.com.

The difference (I think) between your MOD and that one is that yours is based off of Active Users 4.0 and GauravBhabu's is based off of Active Users 3.5. Just a speculation.

Maybe you can take what knowledge you have of Active Users 4.0 and modify GauravBhabu's files to fit that logic. I haven't gotten that familiar with it to be capable of the interpretation.

Let me know how you are doing with this, and I will keep you posted of any new discoveries on my end as well.

Cheers,

Etymon

Edited by - Etymon on 20 July 2002 04:09:36
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 20 July 2002 :  14:36:24  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
just for the sake of giving the correct author credit for the WhoIsInside Mod, it would belong to Iron Heart of http://www.someplacesomewhere.com . G, just packaged it up nicely for everyone. I know this info is going off on a tangent, but this has been one of the better mods I have seen and used before it was packaged here and would like to see the correct Author get the credit he deserves. Okay, rant over... (although it really was not a rant )

http://www.nineinchnailz.com

Edited by - dayve on 20 July 2002 14:36:48
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 20 July 2002 :  18:09:17  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

No, no ... go ahead and rant. Definitely give credit where credit is due. Iron Heart is given credit in the whosinside.txt file in the download.

MOD WHOISINSIDE
Author: IronHeart
http://www.someplacesomewhere.com/
Modified/Repackaged By: Rakesh Jain (GauravBhabu)
http://www.forumsquare.com/
rakeshjain@iname.com
Last Updated : Jan 18, 2001

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was giving credit elsewhere.

Thanks for the note,

Etymon

Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 20 July 2002 :  21:27:46  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
oh, I've never seen the readme file, that's good. like I said, Iron Heart hooked me up long ago so I never had a need to download it from here but noticed a lot of people that G. did the mod. I'm glad that is in the readme file.

http://www.nineinchnailz.com
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2002 :  06:47:36  Show Profile
Wow, thanks for all that feedback Etymon, it is greatly appreciated. Won't get a chance to edit anything today, but I'll go through your points one by one tomorrow and apply all the changes/fixes you've suggested.

Don't fully understand where you're coming from with changing "Users browsing this forum:" to "Users browsing these forums:", perhaps you could elaborate a bit?

You're right, what my Mod does is essentially the same as Ironheart's Who Is Inside one, I tried editing his to work with AU4 (with some help from Crash), but I just gave myself a headache and a broken forum!! Also, there seems to be less coding involved in my version, maybe that's because his does a little more than mine.

Don't worry about butchering my readme, this is my first major Mod, so I expected people to be picking holes in it.

Once again, a huge thank you, be sure to let me know if you need any help with the Birthdate Mod.

c ya in the funny books

"No one can earn a million dollars honestly."
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2002 :  17:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
quote:

Wow, thanks for all that feedback Etymon, it is greatly appreciated.

Sure, no problem!

quote:

Don't fully understand where you're coming from with changing "Users browsing this forum:" to "Users browsing these forums:", perhaps you could elaborate a bit?

It appears that regardless of what forum I was in, the same users were browsing the same forums I was in. Perhaps this is specific to my test environment, so you may need more candidates to thoroughly check those findings.

quote:

You're right, what my Mod does is essentially the same as Ironheart's Who Is Inside one, I tried editing his to work with AU4 (with some help from Crash), but I just gave myself a headache and a broken forum!! Also, there seems to be less coding involved in my version, maybe that's because his does a little more than mine.

Not that Crash is any less familiar with that code, but Nathan (the creator of both AU 3.5 and AU 4.0 made a standing offer sometime back that he would help anyone who wanted to recreate the WhoIsInside MOD. The third to the last post in this topic describes that offer ... http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25716

quote:

Don't worry about butchering my readme, this is my first major Mod, so I expected people to be picking holes in it.

If you want to pick up some tips from MOD authors, then some of the best work I have seen is from the following people:

RichardKinser writes terrific instructions using just a text file format. Most any MOD RichardKinser writes has a simple layout that makes his MODs a joy to install.

MarkFindlay wrote the most logical help file in .htm format I have ever seen here at Snitz. It was so exhaustive I almost didn't want to read it. However, it was the most complete and forward-thinking for that style. His MOD was the Calenday Events Email Notification MOD. In that help file he offers the template freely to other MOD authors.

Crash used a template from MortiOli. The template is sleek. I enjoyed the layout a lot. Personally, I thought Crash's graphics gave it a very professional appeal as did MortiOli's layout. They went well together. Look at Crash's Award Member MOD (he has it at his website). Also look at MortiOli's Gender MOD. That has the same template.

Those are some of the greats to learn from as far as layout. I don't want to leave out other great contributors either. Those mentioned above are just some of the "formats" that I found appealing right off the top of my head. If I sat here and really thought about it, I am sure I would find many others.

As far as coding, I really can't think of any MOD author who has rancid code. Some of the code is for older browsers and the authors are no longer with the Snitz code. But that's where new authors can pick up and run with it.

quote:

Once again, a huge thank you, be sure to let me know if you need any help with the Birthdate Mod.

Thanks again! You are welcome. I have received a lot of help here myself. I don't mind returning the favors. ... The Birthdate MOD is on my list. If I get stumped, I will come a hollerin'.

Have fun!

Etymon

Are you looking for answers at Snitz? | Searching the forums is easiest!
Basic | Advanced (Internet Explorer only)
Go to Top of Page

aviv

474 Posts

Posted - 28 July 2002 :  07:59:08  Show Profile  Visit aviv's Homepage
Can this mod be installed on AU 3?

ThanX
Aviv
Hebrew Snitz support center
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  13:22:30  Show Profile
Wow, it's certainly been a while since I worked on this one, been so very busy with other stuff. Once again Etymon, I am in your debt, I've taken everything you said into consideration, and hopefully it shows.

quote:
Originally posted by Etymon:
It appears that regardless of what forum I was in, the same users were browsing the same forums I was in. Perhaps this is specific to my test environment, so you may need more candidates to thoroughly check those findings.

I tried my darndest to recreate this glitch in my own test forum but couldn't do so, which would lead me to believe it is specific to your test environment. Any chance you could provide me with a URL where you have it running?

quote:
Originally posted by aviv:
Can this mod be installed on AU 3?

Nope, it will only work with AU4, you can download IronHeart's Who Is Inside Mod from Crash's Site, which will run off AU3.

Anyways, enough waffle, the zip file has been updated with some minor changes as well as the removal of the code from forum.asp into an include file.

Just for those of you wondering exactly what in the Sam Hill this Mod does, here's a screen shot from forum.asp:

c ya in the funny books

"I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work."

Go to Top of Page

mortioli
Average Member

United Kingdom
898 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2002 :  08:25:11  Show Profile  Visit mortioli's Homepage  Send mortioli an AOL message  Send mortioli a Yahoo! Message
Does this work with 3.3.03?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07