MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 mod idea -- skinpacks!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jay_v

85 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2002 :  21:52:42  Show Profile
How about a mod that allows you to choose a skinpack for your snitz forum? Skinpacks would contain icons, background images, font & color info, etc. Download a skinpack, enable it and voila a new look for your forum. What do you guys think?

Edited by - jay_v on 18 May 2002 21:53:14

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2002 :  22:23:59  Show Profile
It's not that simple (yet). Right now those variables are loaded from the database so you'd have to get a new table in there for the different configurations and then create several color schemes. Each color scheme (theme or skin, whatever you want to call them) would need a DBS_ file to insert the necessary information, perhaps an extra table, into the database.

Once version 4 is released work on version 5 should be started which will be a forum containing CSS. In that case all you'd have to do is insert the name of a CSS file into the database and add a selection box to the admin options. Choose the file and in inc_top.asp the correct CSS file will be included and voila, your forums will use it.

IMHO it'd be better to add some CSS to your forums and then do what I suggested. Adding a CSS file to your site and its name into the database is a lot easier than adding multiple color configurations, not to mention that it'll keep your database size down.

http://www.frutzle.com

Snitz Exchange | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

jay_v

85 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2002 :  22:54:15  Show Profile
hmm... will it be necessary to create new tables in the database? won't it be possible to have something that merely changes the variables all at once?

Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2002 :  23:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Contrary to what Frutzle thinks, I don't think adding a templates/style system to 3.4 will be so hard.

Tossing around making a mod for it.

Nathan Bales
Go to Top of Page

alex042
Average Member

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2002 :  01:08:29  Show Profile  Send alex042 an AOL message  Send alex042 a Yahoo! Message
Why not use a CSS for site themes? That would cut down database field requirements to just 1 or 2 to identify where the CSS file is.

Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2002 :  02:08:44  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Snitz doesn't have CSS. It would be easier to work with what ya got first eh? Then try to add whatever later on.

Nathan Bales
Go to Top of Page

redbrad0
Advanced Member

USA
3725 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2002 :  03:42:48  Show Profile  Visit redbrad0's Homepage  Send redbrad0 an AOL message
isnt this basically around in a mod? there are mods so users can select what site they want to use, well i know http://www.iamviet.com/ does it, and i thought he told me it was a mod, maybe you should contact him and ask him how he did it, or where the mod is.

Brad
Web Hosting with SQL Server @ $24.95 per month
Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2002 :  13:33:18  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
I am writing a skins mod, I've got the colors into a bit of Javascript, which loads up predefined colour sets into your Snitz configuration. But I've held back on developing it for now, as it relies on CSS, and I think that the next Snitz will have CSS support, so I'm just waiting for that to come along.

There is another way though, if people make skins packs, containing all of the icons, then that could be extracted over the top of the existing icons, then you have your new skin. If that was added to the Javascript that I've got for the colours/backgrounds, then it would be a complete skins mod.......

John

For snitz mods and information, see the Cosmic Cat Snitz Mods Homepage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07