DEV Discussions (General)
 What Are The Functions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2002 :  15:03:08  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
With all this hacker news going on lately, it really makes you thing of what vulnerabilities you have.

Perhaps, worse than that is, how many vulnerabilities have I made?

I had no idea that any page could be exploited like members.asp; but worse yet, how many times have I left that same hole open in a MOD or in one of the 4 different MODs I have in motion that are just waiting for 3.4 to come out so that I can complete? How about the massive project I have going on at work (lucky thats on an intranet and I don't have to worry about hackers quite the same).

I always wondered what all those =trim, chkstring, (string, "SQLstring") things were all about. Now, I wonder are these functions that are exclusive to Snitz? Are these functions found in inc_functions.asp Should I be using them when I make a MOD or install a MOD that doesn't have them? Or are these functions that are resident to ASP, and can be used anywhere within ASP pages.

Either way, it would be nice if someone here with some knowledge could perhaps shed a little light on this subject for those of us not quite as familiar with the specs of the language.

I know that either HUW or Richard (I think) mentioned a while back that inc_functions was being broken up and that a read me was being constructed for all the different function found in these files. Is this true and is it on target for release with 3.4?

Hopefully, with some help we can stop the holes befor ethey are found, and this can only be done with the power of knowledge. This is especially true in a community where a lot of the MOD developers are learning as they go (like myself). And although the MODs work like intended they may be leaving exploitable holes hereinto unknown.

blackinwhite
Average Member

Turkey
657 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2002 :  15:40:53  Show Profile
actually most of the functions, including the chkstring(bla bla), are in inc_functions.asp.

It is a real treasue, and I am newly discovering what I can do with Snitz. (you know, it's a huge compilation of different coders who help snitz grow.)

quote:

I know that either HUW or Richard (I think) mentioned a while back that inc_functions was being broken up and that a read me was being constructed for all the different function found in these files. Is this true and is it on target for release with 3.4?

I didn't know that, are there any such a readme file for the functions.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2002 :  15:43:59  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
Check out this post about SQL Injection attacks.

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26930

I highly recommend reading everything you can on the subject. These functions are not at all unique to Snitz. These functions are necessary to many, if not all, web applications using a database.

@tomic

http://www.skepticfriends.org
Go to Top of Page

blackinwhite
Average Member

Turkey
657 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2002 :  15:59:21  Show Profile
quote:

Check out this post about SQL Injection attacks.

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26930

I highly recommend reading everything you can on the subject. These functions are not at all unique to Snitz. These functions are necessary to many, if not all, web applications using a database.

@tomic

http://www.skepticfriends.org

wooww, thanks for the topic link @tomic, it's really great.

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2002 :  16:46:51  Show Profile
quote:

The functions are being broken up, but there is no readme file for what each function does. We are only doing a readme file on how to set up your forum.

«------------------------------------------------------»
Want to know when the next version comes out,
as soon as possible? Join our Mailing Lists !
Go to Top of Page

MFHOWLAND
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2002 :  16:11:12  Show Profile
Security is always an ongoing process. I started learning about security about a year ago with a company that got hit with a worm. The main site page was replaced with one of those lame "You are now owned by NTO".

The holes that you see in Snitz are not uncommon. It is good to see people helping to get rid of these and make the forum better. There are different attacks that work on different SQL DB systems.. for Instance you can do DROP statements against SQL Database easily, but it is harder with MS Access or even Oracle.

Some type of attacks are SQL Injection attacks where you can run database commands because someone leaves a single quote open or doesnt validate a numeric string, etc.. About 100% of these errors could be fixed if people would code ASP using the ADODB.COMMAND object. It allows you to setup parameter fields, assign them as types (Integer, String, etc..) and then you do not have to worry about all of the parsing issues.

One big problem a forum like snitz has is anyone can see the source code and thus figure out where the holes are. A nice feature of snitz (I think) is you can rename your tables? If I can see the code but not guess the name of your table it makes it harder to hack your system.

Another form of attack that has nothing to do with this forum in particular are OS attacks. The attack that got my old system was done through IIS with a very popular attack that lets you run commands on the IIS Server. I was able to shut those kinds of holes down by applying patches.

One thing you should do is keep vigilant with your log files (If you can). On an IIS server you can check and see what commands/pages people are calling and look for anything out of the ordinary.. for instance, is someone using the work UNION in an URL when I have no pages called union. Or is CMD.EXE being called.

Anyway, just keep reading and soon you will be an expert.

Thanks,
Marshall

Go to Top of Page

redbrad0
Advanced Member

USA
3725 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2002 :  18:09:48  Show Profile  Visit redbrad0's Homepage  Send redbrad0 an AOL message
I hate to say this, but I am glad that all of this is coming out in the open. It is really making people aware of the risks of not doing good codeing. One thing I have learned is no matter what you get returned via a forum, querystring, or database, is check to make sure the correct value is being passed thru. without this, it can cause all these problems. if your site uses snitz that helps run the entire site, then you need to use the same functions thruout the entire site, or write your own. Just because the forum is safe, doesnt mean that the rest of your site is, and then can still cause trouble on the forum thru other parts of your site.

Brad
Web Hosting with SQL Server @ $24.95 per month
Go to Top of Page

blackinwhite
Average Member

Turkey
657 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2002 :  18:11:16  Show Profile
quote:

Security is always an ongoing process. I started learning about security about a year ago with a company that got hit with a worm. The main site page was replaced with one of those lame "You are now owned by NTO".

The holes that you see in Snitz are not uncommon. It is good to see people helping to get rid of these and make the forum better. There are different attacks that work on different SQL DB systems.. for Instance you can do DROP statements against SQL Database easily, but it is harder with MS Access or even Oracle.

Some type of attacks are SQL Injection attacks where you can run database commands because someone leaves a single quote open or doesnt validate a numeric string, etc.. About 100% of these errors could be fixed if people would code ASP using the ADODB.COMMAND object. It allows you to setup parameter fields, assign them as types (Integer, String, etc..) and then you do not have to worry about all of the parsing issues.

One big problem a forum like snitz has is anyone can see the source code and thus figure out where the holes are. A nice feature of snitz (I think) is you can rename your tables? If I can see the code but not guess the name of your table it makes it harder to hack your system.

Another form of attack that has nothing to do with this forum in particular are OS attacks. The attack that got my old system was done through IIS with a very popular attack that lets you run commands on the IIS Server. I was able to shut those kinds of holes down by applying patches.

One thing you should do is keep vigilant with your log files (If you can). On an IIS server you can check and see what commands/pages people are calling and look for anything out of the ordinary.. for instance, is someone using the work UNION in an URL when I have no pages called union. Or is CMD.EXE being called.

Anyway, just keep reading and soon you will be an expert.

Thanks,
Marshall

thanks for sharing your experinces.

what an unsafe world we live by!

Go to Top of Page

redbrad0
Advanced Member

USA
3725 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2002 :  18:55:27  Show Profile  Visit redbrad0's Homepage  Send redbrad0 an AOL message
quote:

yea imagine that, lets take for example i send you some code im working on (aka my gallery) so you can work on something on it then you just disappear. you are probley trying to release the code as one you wrote also. you cant trust anyone with anything!!!!

Brad
Go to Top of Page

blackinwhite
Average Member

Turkey
657 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2002 :  02:29:47  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

yea imagine that, lets take for example i send you some code im working on (aka my gallery) so you can work on something on it then you just disappear. you are probley trying to release the code as one you wrote also. you cant trust anyone with anything!!!!

Brad

yes, I just finished coding it, just looking for a suitable name.
but you realized before it's too late.

just calm down man, if I need some code, I'll code it myself.
I'm just busy to deal with it nowadays, I'll send the css-integrated files back to you in a couple of days.

Go to Top of Page

redbrad0
Advanced Member

USA
3725 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2002 :  03:40:03  Show Profile  Visit redbrad0's Homepage  Send redbrad0 an AOL message
well i sent you many emails and you never responded. ive allready had to change a bunch of stuff in the code

Brad
Go to Top of Page

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2002 :  13:01:53  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
I want to make sure...

if I use a case select to set the variable from a request.form/querystring I shouldn't have to chkstring it right? afterall, if it doesn't match a case then nothing will be set. I just want to make sure. I have no need to be injected :)

Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2002 :  21:29:05  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Thats correct snaayk.

www.daoc-halo.com
Go to Top of Page

sijpie
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2002 :  11:44:22  Show Profile  Visit sijpie's Homepage
Snaayk's original question really never got answered.

I'll try to rephrase it here:

If I am requesting a text string wich will form part of an SQL query, which ChkString() case should I use to weed out potential damaging code?

Is it important to run trim() first ie: trim(checkstring())?
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2002 :  12:00:52  Show Profile
for text string: chkstring(Request.QueryString("EXAMPLE"),"SQLString")

you can use trim as well, though in most cases, it should not be necessary.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07