New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2002 :  20:09:44  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
I have a question for my own forums, but it may also be considered a request for this forum.

I would like to do the following with a forum I am setting up. I want only a small group of people (perhaps moderators) to be able to post Topics, but I want all the other members to be able to reply "only" to those topics. I don't want the general membership to be allowed to post "Topics" to that forum though ... only "Replies".

My test site is not up on the server yet ... only up on PWS on my test computer at home, so I don't know if this is possible in the real world.

I also have some similar questions for this forum. Can a new Forum be created here under the "Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group" category called something like "Available MODs" where each Topic posted in that forum addresses all the issues relating to just one particular MOD's version? For example, only one Topic would address "MyMOD v.1" and not all versions of "My MOD".

Or, would it be better to take it up a notch and just create another set of Categories located on a new site and instead of using Topics as launching areas, use Forums? I suppose a lot of MODs as topics could limit specific questioning.

The reason I ask is because I am having trouble understanding which MODs or even updated versions of those MODs people are referring to in their posts here at Snitz.

There was a post in the Forum called "Announcements: Community" under the topic called "MOD: Clean Snitz with Bug Fixes and Hide Email" http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27151 where a member posted a message stating he had created a zipped version of the Snitz forum where over 30 forum bugs were fixed.

Though he did not include MODs in that zip he does call his zip file a MOD interestingly enough.

This takes me back to another question about my forums. Is it possible for the moderators of the topics in of a forum to alpha/numerically arrange the topics? For example, when a new/updated version of a MOD is posted as a topic, can both topics be placed chronologically next to each other?

An example of this for my own forum might be if a recipe for a vanilla cake I created in March of 2002 is posted called "Ety's Wonder Cake version 1". Then in May of 2003 when I create another vanilla cake recipe called "Ety's Wonder Cake version 1.2", the topics won't be 16 zillion topics away from each other, and the users of any of my "Ety's Wonder Cake" recipe versions will know exactly where to find a history of that recipe's usage, commentary, and progress.

I don't want my users to have to search seemingly on an endless journey for new information.

I'm looking foward to your replies!

Etymon

Edited by - etymon on 07 May 2002 20:36:01

eanwd
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2002 :  22:57:16  Show Profile
Interesting idea Etymon.
What about "Snitz Mods for Dummies" forum?
I agree that information about mods can be improved.
And first of all information about other sites focused on Snitz mods could be more obvious (something like seperate links to theses sites visible from the main forum).

eanwd

Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2002 :  17:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Thanks for the reply, eanwd!

"What about "Snitz Mods for Dummies" forum?"

I think there is a Forum for Dummies. Whoever got that going did us a big favor.

"And first of all information about other sites focused on Snitz mods could be more obvious (something like seperate links to theses sites visible from the main forum)."

I heard that there is a Snitz forums webring. I wish it were at the bottom each page here. Someone has written a URL submission MOD (not sure of the correct title). That would be really nice for us to share our forum URLs with each other as well.

Thanks again,

Ety

Edited by - etymon on 08 May 2002 17:39:03
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2002 :  18:39:43  Show Profile
quote:

I would like to do the following with a forum I am setting up. I want only a small group of people (perhaps moderators) to be able to post Topics, but I want all the other members to be able to reply "only" to those topics. I don't want the general membership to be allowed to post "Topics" to that forum though ... only "Replies".

My test site is not up on the server yet ... only up on PWS on my test computer at home, so I don't know if this is possible in the real world.

If you have it working locally there's a very very small chance it won't work online. The only things keeping it from working online are, for as far as I can think of right now,
- coding that's specific to your computer (such as using localhost in the URLs)
- chosing the wrong host

quote:

I also have some similar questions for this forum. Can a new Forum be created here under the "Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group" category called something like "Available MODs" where each Topic posted in that forum addresses all the issues relating to just one particular MOD's version? For example, only one Topic would address "MyMOD v.1" and not all versions of "My MOD".

To do that, you'd have to give the MOD creators the right to close their own topic. The moderators can't keep track of which MOD is outdated or if a newer version has been released. It's up to the MOD creators to start a new topic when a new version is released. It'll automagically move up so the topic about a specific MOD that has had the most recent last reply should be the latest version.
Also, thanks to the efforts of several people (Da_Stimulator, RedBrad0 and Nathan among others) there have been two sites where you could download MODs. The versions there were the latest available. I'm speaking in the past tense because the first site went offline a while ago and the one that was still working has been hacked so it's probably not available now either.

quote:

Or, would it be better to take it up a notch and just create another set of Categories located on a new site and instead of using Topics as launching areas, use Forums? I suppose a lot of MODs as topics could limit specific questioning.

One site just for MODs where each MOD gets it's own forum? Part of this has already been established (see above). I don't think it'd be doable to have a forum created for each new MOD... it'd be a tremendous strain on the administrator for one.

quote:

The reason I ask is because I am having trouble understanding which MODs or even updated versions of those MODs people are referring to in their posts here at Snitz.

Some MODs are created and then never looked at again for various reasons. One of those is that the MOD creator leaves this site and his/her site goes down. That explains some of the broken links.
Again, to prevent this and give one central place to find MODs, the Snitz Exchange was started (that's the one that went down a couple days ago). Remember that it's the responsibility of the creator to provide working links. If the creator isn't around, there's a very good chance that the MOD will be uploaded to the Snitz Exchange.

quote:

There was a post in the Forum called "Announcements: Community" under the topic called "MOD: Clean Snitz with Bug Fixes and Hide Email" http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27151 where a member posted a message stating he had created a zipped version of the Snitz forum where over 30 forum bugs were fixed.

Though he did not include MODs in that zip he does call his zip file a MOD interestingly enough.

FYI, at least one MOD was installed: Hide Email. That's a MOD by Davio which will be a standard feature in the next version.
The forums he's distributing can be called a MOD as it's a MODified version of the standard forums. I don't see the problem there.

quote:

This takes me back to another question about my forums. Is it possible for the moderators of the topics in of a forum to alpha/numerically arrange the topics? For example, when a new/updated version of a MOD is posted as a topic, can both topics be placed chronologically next to each other?

An example of this for my own forum might be if a recipe for a vanilla cake I created in March of 2002 is posted called "Ety's Wonder Cake version 1". Then in May of 2003 when I create another vanilla cake recipe called "Ety's Wonder Cake version 1.2", the topics won't be 16 zillion topics away from each other, and the users of any of my "Ety's Wonder Cake" recipe versions will know exactly where to find a history of that recipe's usage, commentary, and progress.

I don't want my users to have to search seemingly on an endless journey for new information.

I guess you could change the sorting in such a way that it's no longer sorting by last reply, but by initial creation date, or by subject (alphabetically).
I know it's not a solution, but do you refer to the previous topic in the new version's topic? That'd solve part of your problem. Also, the search feature is there for a reason. Again, not a solution, but I do believe I have a valid point.

Don't know if you'll find this reply useful, but at least I've killed another couple minutes

http://www.frutzle.com

Snitz Exchange | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2002 :  19:29:42  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage
Thanks FrutZle,

I think you've answered all my questions quite well. I suppose that if I want special features to kick in (as with the recipe anology), then I should probably set up different instances of the complete Snitz under another filename on my site ... as in ".../forum" for the main discussion board and then ".../recipes" for the recipe's discussion board. This way I can omit the options you mentioned without it affecting the features of the other Snitz.

Thanks for the helpful reply,

Ety

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07