New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RichardB
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2002 :  10:31:49  Show Profile
Hello.

The markup syntax for making URLs differs from UBB. I didn't like that. Through the beauty of OSS, I decided to change it.

No offense, but your code was illegible. Granted, I've never programmed in VBScript/ASP in my life (nor any web-based language; just your average C++ student here), but I found it much cleaner to code the ReplaceURLs function from scratch. Used what seems to be the standard syntax around here for diffs.

ftp://anonymous@richardberg.net:2281/zips/Server%20apps/Snitz%20extras/url%20mod.zip

(ignore whatever mangling Snitz does to the above - just paste into another browser)

Someone with more time/interest can write up a readme or something ;)

http://forum.richardberg.net

Edit - ok, fixed, though I can't imagine a Windows archive tool that doesn't support RAR...note: my bus to the Men's 1/2 round (go Duke) leaves in literally a few minutes so I won't be around to answer questions for a few days...

Edited by - RichardB on 14 March 2002 11:07:44

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2002 :  10:41:59  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
it would be much more helpfull to most of the people here if you distribute it as a zip.

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2002 :  14:47:26  Show Profile
downloaded the file but it was empty.
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2002 :  15:50:08  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Same here empty file.

www.daoc-halo.com
Go to Top of Page

es4725

205 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2002 :  23:37:28  Show Profile
hmm... empty zip - and can't connect to SQL server at that link, so page is non-functional... things aren't looking up and up here...

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2002 :  23:43:55  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

Edit - ok, fixed, though I can't imagine a Windows archive tool that doesn't support RAR...note: my bus to the Men's 1/2 round (go Duke) leaves in literally a few minutes so I won't be around to answer questions for a few days...

Edited by - RichardB on 14 March 2002 11:07:44

Well, that link doesn't work at all.

Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 15 March 2002 :  16:17:09  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
quote:

The markup syntax for making URLs differs from UBB. I didn't like that.

LOL, what an entrance for your first post, may I suggest downloading UBB instead to take advantage of their wonderful markup code??

http://www.nineinchnailz.com - your source for everything nine inch nails !
Go to Top of Page

RichardB
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 17 March 2002 :  07:44:56  Show Profile
Hi everyone, apologies for the curt responses earlier but I'd been up for 24 hours and really was in a rush.

Not sure how you guys managed to crash IIS while I was away () but it's back up now. Anyway, the mod is for anyone who feels more at home with UBB syntax, which is basically 100% of my forum constituency - if you like Snitz's then more power to ya.

I'll probably be doing something similar for smilies; I actually think the bracket idea is a good one to prevent ambiguity but unfortunately it wasn't intuitive after years with UBB. (A "disable smilies" checkbox a la OpenTopic would be next on my list if I did this). Further suggestions welcome; like I said I know nothing about ASP/PHP/whatever (Thursday is still kinda in a haze...)

Edited by - RichardB on 17 March 2002 07:53:13
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 17 March 2002 :  08:18:25  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
The download link still doesnt seem to offer anything more than an empty zip file though.

Edited by - Gremlin on 17 March 2002 08:22:07
Go to Top of Page

RichardB
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 17 March 2002 :  11:05:30  Show Profile
Ok - not sure why it doesn't work (does for me) but I've put a copy of the file here: http://www.duke.edu/~jrb/url_mod.zip

http://forum.richardberg.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07