Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 09 March 2002 :  21:14:52  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
After much testing, and a little bugfixing, V1.01 of ccHTMLMail is now released.
Please let me know if you download it, and tell me know what you think.
Also, any bug reports would be appreciated.

======================================================================
Description
This Snitz modification allows you to create and use templated HTML
emails for email notifications generated by Snitz. Forum members can
choose from Plain Text mail or HTML mail in their profile settings.
HTML mail support can be enabled/disabled at board level by admins.
Includes support for CDOSYS email component.

Snitz Version(s) tested on
Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.3.03

Web Server Software tested on
Microsoft IIS5 on Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft IIS5 (PWS) on Windows 2000 Workstation
Microsoft IIS5 (PWS) on Windows XP Professional

Databases Tested On
Microsoft SQL 2000
Microsoft Access 2000
MySQL V3.23.41 (NT)

Email components supported.
  • CDONTS

• CDOSYS

• Persits ASPEMail Premium

• Persits ASPEmail Free (BETA. There is an issue with some email clients, see Installation Notes - Don't use with ASPEmail unless you are willing to do some investigation/debugging!)

• JMail (Beta, See Installation Notes!)

Author: John Oatham
Download URL: http://www.cosmic-cat.co.uk/snitzmods/

Difficulty level for installation:
4-5 (Should be easy for any competent asp developer, takes about 3/4
of an hour following the installation.txt instructions).

Requirements
Snitz v3.3.03
CDONTS, CDOSYS Persits ASPEmail, or Jmail mail component.

Installation Instructions
Please see the separate file installation.txt (supplied with the
zipfile) for full installation instructions or refer to the online
installation guide.

For the latest version of this software, please see
http://www.cosmic-cat.co.uk/snitzmods/
or
http://www.ls3k.com/snitz/mods.asp

Additions to Beta Version
  • CDOSYS Support
  • Improved Templates
  • Template preview from admin email options
  • HTML can be disabled/enabled across whole board by admins
  • More tags (particularly for Moderation and Subscription notifications)
  • Easier to install (slightly)

Edited by - joatham on 10 March 2002 19:54:53

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2002 :  00:44:15  Show Profile
Joatham,

I have just finished installing this on my site, but it can not find the DB fields to enter the data it needs to run. Is there something missing?

Cheers...

Regards,

Webmaster @ Classic Motorycling Australia
Classic Motorcycling Australia
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2002 :  01:16:46  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
I am assuming joatham uses the same config_new table style application variables that I do in all of my mods.

That system requires Snitz version 3.3.03 and higher excluding Huwr's code. I think Huwr uses a slightly different system or the old fashioned config table.

Nathan Bales - Romans 15:13
----------------------------------

Snitz Exchange | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2002 :  02:05:48  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
You might want to change (in your templates) the strDefaultFontColor to strForumFontColor when the table cells are strForumCellColor

For some reason I'm getting an extra ">" in the subject of the emails when I send from pop_mail.asp. And I got one freak text email out of the blue.

Edited by - Nathan on 10 March 2002 02:59:59
Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2002 :  13:53:43  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
quote:

I am assuming joatham uses the same config_new table style application variables that I do in all of my mods.

That system requires Snitz version 3.3.03 and higher excluding Huwr's code. I think Huwr uses a slightly different system or the old fashioned config table.

That's right - I use the config_new table from v3.3.03, so it won't be compatible with other versions. I might look at making it compatible with HuwR's forum, as that seems to be very popular, but would prefer if someone else with experiece of Huwr's code could do that and contact me with the details so that I can add it to my Mod

John

Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2002 :  14:02:16  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
quote:

You might want to change (in your templates) the strDefaultFontColor to strForumFontColor when the table cells are strForumCellColor

Good point, I spent a few minutes updating the templates, but left them as they were in the end as I didn't want to spend too much time on them. I'm hoping that some people will do some more whizzy template designs and let me add them to my downloads..

quote:

For some reason I'm getting an extra ">" in the subject of the emails when I send from pop_mail.asp. And I got one freak text email out of the blue.

Which email component are you using? (I've had a few troubles with ASPEmail and JMail).I haven't changed any of the subject details from the default Snitz code, so they should be as they were before. I will take a closer look later to see if I can work out where that closing tag is coming from..

The freak text mail is an odd one. I've been testing this for a couple of weeks and haven't had a "ghost post". What was in the mail, was it like a subscription notification, or something else? (If you get it again, perhaps you could send me details by email).

John

Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2002 :  18:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
I was using aspEMail and the freak text email came when sending an email from the users profile.

Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2002 :  19:51:06  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
quote:

I was using aspEMail and the freak text email came when sending an email from the users profile.

I've had nothing but trouble with the ASPEMail and it's HTML format . The premium version is fine, you can set the content encoding type (using the line I remarked in inc_mail.asp) and it seemed to work fine, but on the free version it has trouble. It seems to be connected with the length of lines in the HTML string, so I've tried padding it with CrLf characters (as suggested on their website), but that seems to have brought on more problems than it solved.. Funny thing is, with my client (Outlook 2000 full version) it seems to be fine, but with other clients (like Outlook Express) the emails don't show correctly. Which mail client are you running, and are you using the free or premium version of ASPEmail?

Intrepidone is working to see if he can find a fix for this prob, but after almost a week of fruitless attempts to sort it, we decided that it was best to release the MOD with a note that ASPemail might have probs working with this mod. I might have to pull ASPEmail out of the list of components until such time as we've worked out a workaround..

BTW, try remarking line #191 in inc_ccHTMLMail.asp (the one which replaces all the spaces with line breaks) and let me know if that sorts it out.

There's also a similar issue with JMail, but I think that's probably okay now as I've changed the code slightly for that component (but I need someone who's using JMail to confirm that for me)..

John

Edited by - joatham on 10 March 2002 20:13:23
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2002 :  20:19:13  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Free version of aspEMail

Outlook 2002

Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2002 :  20:31:44  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
quote:

Free version of aspEMail

Thought it might be . We are looking at this now, it seems to be connected with vbNewlines and CrLfs in the HTML stream.
Have you tried remarking line #191, does that resolve the extra > in the subject?
Also, have you found any truncation of the message?
If you view the headers/HTML source of the message, are there any spurious "!" characters in it?

John

Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2002 :  20:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Commenting lines 190 and 191 took care of the <

I also sent a lenghty email without truncation.

Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2002 :  20:52:00  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
quote:

Commenting lines 190 and 191 took care of the <

I also sent a lenghty email without truncation.

Ah, looks like I'd broken it with my fix then . I will take those lines out of the current version.

John

Go to Top of Page

mortioli
Average Member

United Kingdom
898 Posts

Posted - 29 March 2002 :  06:17:56  Show Profile  Visit mortioli's Homepage  Send mortioli an AOL message  Send mortioli a Yahoo! Message
Hi.

I installed your MOD (following the instructions.txt), but it didn't work, so I went back and looked at the modified files which you included, and noticed that some of them had different code in them, compared to instructionc.txt (pop_mail for example). I then changed my files to the code given in your files, but it still didn't work.

Am I supposed to be able to switch on HTML Email, and are members supposed to be able to choose if they get HTML Email or not?

Btw, I added the templates to the Admin Email Config, so its not that it can't find them.

Also, I get this when trying to preview a template:

Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800401f3'

Server.CreateObject Failed

/snitz/pop_ccHTMLMail_preview.asp, line 36

Invalid class string

Is it possible that I could send you my files to have a look at?
The files are heavily modified, so this may be the problem.

Thanks for your time!

Oli

www.mortioli.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 29 March 2002 :  20:14:16  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
Hi there Oli,
quote:

I installed your MOD (following the instructions.txt), but it didn't work, so I went back and looked at the modified files which you included, and noticed that some of them had different code in them, compared to instructionc.txt (pop_mail for example). I then changed my files to the code given in your files, but it still didn't work.

Can you tell me where the differences are between the instructions and my modified files so I can amend the instructions? Also, can you give me more detail on which parts you are having trouble with working?
quote:
Am I supposed to be able to switch on HTML Email, and are members supposed to be able to choose if they get HTML Email or not?

Yes, the modifications to admin_config_email.asp include a checkbox where you can turn on/off the HTML mail globally. The inc_profile/pop_profile.asp modification will show each member an option of plain text or html mail in their profile settings, this will not show if you have disabled html mail in the admin email configuration.

quote:

Invalid class string

The pop_ccHTMLMail_preview.asp file uses the MSWC.Tools component which is installed by default with IIS, but it looks like you don't have that installed. All it does is to use the component to check if a file exists. What version of IIS are you running, or are you using a different web server engine? I will sort out some replacement code for that file that doesn't rely on the Tools component being installed.

quote:

Is it possible that I could send you my files to have a look at?
The files are heavily modified, so this may be the problem.

Feel free to send me the files and I will setup a test on my system here to see if I can find out why there's a prob. However, depending on how heavily modded they are I might not be able to find a solution, but I will take a look for you. If you are running an Access database, please send me a blank copy, or one with the admin password removed so I can test it. If you are using a different database (MySQL or SQL Server) I will need to know the mods to the tables which you have made.

John

Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 10 April 2002 :  20:30:25  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
quote:

Invalid class string

If anyone else has this problem (ie there is no MWSC.Tools component installed at your isp), I have now amended pop_ccHTMLMail_preview.asp so that it doesn't require that component. It does use on error resume next though, which I've heard is not accepted on Brinkster..

Anyway, If you want the revised version of the file, drop me an email and I will send it to you!

John

Go to Top of Page

joatham

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 13 April 2002 :  19:31:06  Show Profile  Visit joatham's Homepage
Hi, just to let you know of another incompatibility with ccHTMLMail

If your host is running IIS4 and VBScript 4 (?) then the tag replacement routines won't work correctly.

I'm currently working on a fix for this and will post it as soon as it's available. It's not a major change, just a change to some code in inc_functions.asp and a couple of changes in the additional files. Also, you will have to change the supplied html template files too.

If you are getting a "Unexpected Qualifier" error at line 59 in inc_functions.asp, this is what will be causing it!

For further details see www.cosmic-cat.co.uk/snitzmods/

John

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07