Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 17 February 2002 :  06:43:20  Show Profile
Hello,

Well I have good news, there is now a Greeting Card mod out. I have cleaned it up a bit to work with Snitz forums, but it has it's own DB.

The MOD was first developed by Sy at www.go2.to and I cleaned it up a bit to look at Snitz better. To download it, click HERE

Regards,

Webmaster @ Classic Motorycling Australia
www.classicmotorcycling.com" target="_blank">Classic Motorcycling Australia

crash
Advanced Member

Netherlands
2064 Posts

Posted - 17 February 2002 :  07:23:23  Show Profile  Visit crash's Homepage
let's have a look at this one here...

-----------------------------
visit Crash's website online 20 Feb 2002!! Please visit!
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2002 :  00:55:16  Show Profile
Crash,

So what do you think of it (and be nice)...

quote:

Regards,

Classic Motorcycling Australia
Go to Top of Page

corkadmin

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2002 :  04:36:07  Show Profile  Visit corkadmin's Homepage  Send corkadmin an AOL message  Send corkadmin a Yahoo! Message
Is this one the same as Huw's?
quote:

Crash,

So what do you think of it (and be nice)...

quote:

Regards,

Sic Parvis Magnum - Small Things Have Great Beginnings
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2002 :  05:26:44  Show Profile
CorkAdmin,

Having not seen Huw's mod, I would say no. I would put Huw's as using the same DB as Snitz, where I can only get it to go with it's own DB.

I have a demo with only one card at the moment as I wanted to clean it up at a site I am developing for a gardener. It is at Botany & Bugs Development Site if you would like to see a demo. It uses Huw's modified forums in the forums area.

It was first done by Sy at www.go2.to and I just did a tidy job on it. I found that quite a few of the pages would not intergrate with Snitz, and altered them to suit.

Regards,

www.classicmotorcycling.com" target="_blank">Classic Motorcycling Australia
Go to Top of Page

suhern

186 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2002 :  07:19:52  Show Profile
I installed it, it looks good and the user interface is simple and rather elegant but I find the admin fucntions a little lacking:

1. cannot delete cards
2. cannot have the same card in different cat unless u set up multiple times for the different cats
3. cannot change cat once the new card is added
4. it would be great if it can be integrated with the upload mod
5. for every card need to set up thumbnail and the actual picture - can this be atuomated

Just some thoughts for future improvements

Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 19 February 2002 :  00:46:54  Show Profile
Sy,

I was just trying to help out. No need to get narky about it.

I don't know why you needed to get all the e-mails as it had just 2 simple pieces of code to go in to the Snitz Forums, that was a link for users to be able to get to the Greeting Cards and the other in the Admin area for administration.

I made sure it was easy to go in and it is. I simply made it so it would show the footer which has a bearing on he way it displayed and had the top of the Snitz forums included in every page. I also would not like to add my name to stuff if it wasn't ready to go out. You did a great job of the inital stuff, but I thought that I would tidy it up a bit to help out. Isn't that what it's all about, helping each other?????????

I have almost got the db script working. Always given you full credit for the actual Greeting Card Mod and said that I just did a tidy up. If you do not like it, then why not put it in your readme.txt file and I would not of bothered to share with others and give you credit.

Cheers....

David

Go to Top of Page

sy
Average Member

United Kingdom
638 Posts

Posted - 19 February 2002 :  04:29:08  Show Profile  Visit sy's Homepage  Send sy a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Sy,

I was just trying to help out. No need to get narky about it.

I don't know why you needed to get all the e-mails as it had just 2 simple pieces of code to go in to the Snitz Forums, that was a link for users to be able to get to the Greeting Cards and the other in the Admin area for administration.

I made sure it was easy to go in and it is. I simply made it so it would show the footer which has a bearing on he way it displayed and had the top of the Snitz forums included in every page. I also would not like to add my name to stuff if it wasn't ready to go out. You did a great job of the inital stuff, but I thought that I would tidy it up a bit to help out. Isn't that what it's all about, helping each other?????????

I have almost got the db script working. Always given you full credit for the actual Greeting Card Mod and said that I just did a tidy up. If you do not like it, then why not put it in your readme.txt file and I would not of bothered to share with others and give you credit.

Cheers....

David

Yeah,

Sorry for being narky, its just that i would have preferred to have posted a completed mod, lots of people have sent PM and emails to me:

1: Delete cards feature (in finished version)
2: Integrate with huws database and admin mode more completely (in finshed version)
3: Music can be applied to all categories and not need a seperate entry in each category (in finished version)
4: Flash cards
5: CDONTS and other email options (developed by John)

I realise that this is all about helping people, when i realeased the code at huws and mailed it to a few people to get their opinions, i just didnt expect to see it posted all over the place.

Sorry for the BA Baracus style attack, i have trashed it. (http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=140118&lastnode_id=382987), but i hope you understand my concerns, this mod is done and dusted now.

Sy

Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 19 February 2002 :  06:00:47  Show Profile
Sy,

You shouldn't dust it off. I know I haven't. You have some good ideas for it, and I would only be too willing to help you get it further. I am working on the intergartion of the Snitz side so it creates the changes to the Snitz DB (which I have done with a script file) and uses the Snitz DB. I am a little bit of the way through it, in getting it to talk to the Snitz DB with your pages.

I want to intergrate it with the Snitz DB if that is fine by you? Can I have your permission to continue work on it and publish it under a dual name? If you don't want me to, let me know and I will NOT release it to the public, but will do it for me only even if it is only a learning experience for me. Let me know, as I said I only want to help.

Cheers,

David

quote:

Yeah,

Sorry for being narky, its just that i would have preferred to have posted a completed mod, lots of people have sent PM and emails to me:

1: Delete cards feature (in finished version)
2: Integrate with huws database and admin mode more completely (in finshed version)
3: Music can be applied to all categories and not need a seperate entry in each category (in finished version)
4: Flash cards
5: CDONTS and other email options (developed by John)

I realise that this is all about helping people, when i realeased the code at huws and mailed it to a few people to get their opinions, i just didnt expect to see it posted all over the place.

Sorry for the BA Baracus style attack, i have trashed it. (http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=140118&lastnode_id=382987), but i hope you understand my concerns, this mod is done and dusted now.

Sy

Go to Top of Page

sy
Average Member

United Kingdom
638 Posts

Posted - 19 February 2002 :  06:41:08  Show Profile  Visit sy's Homepage  Send sy a Yahoo! Message
Yes, no problems at all!

Glad for your help, I have updated the archive at the various mod repos, so you may like to start your modifications to that.

I will be uploading my new forum to go2.to, and there will be an area for mods and discussion of them, please stay tuned.

making a dbs file is a good idea too, if users want the cards to be part of the snitz db, then they can also import the tables from the cards.db to snitz.db and change con2.asp to reflect the new db location.

Sy

Go to Top of Page

ru55ian

81 Posts

Posted - 20 February 2002 :  11:27:02  Show Profile  Send ru55ian an AOL message  Send ru55ian an ICQ Message  Send ru55ian a Yahoo! Message
Ok guys.... this is what i am talking about.

Great to see that someone is working on this.
SY thanks for starting the project..
and to all thanks for trying to make it better.

I would really like to see the flash added to it.
As well as "date on with to send the card" --- i know that this feature will not be easy to add.. yet i know it will delight many users.
Ohh... one more thing... possibly adding a box for adding poems and quotes to the postcard.
And one last thing. Ability to choose background pictures as well as colors would be awesome.

If anyone is still working on this... and interested in implementing some (hopefully all) of these features, please reply on the possibly date of the re-release of this mod.
Thanks in advance.

We can learn from the past, but those days are gone...
We can hope for the future, but there may not be one...
Go to Top of Page

Kinki
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2002 :  20:25:46  Show Profile  Send Kinki an ICQ Message
hmm.. i can't seem to get through to your forum to download this code.

I get this error (is your server busy/error in code?)
quote:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e37'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'Active_Users'.

D:\INETPUB\FREEASPCODE\WWW\SNITZ\../config/inc_top.asp, line 69

Please email me when I can get the code again. Thanks! kinki416@rogers.com

Come visit my forum and Chat!
http://www.dreamformations.com
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2002 :  23:04:58  Show Profile
Kinki,

(Great name *grin*)

Try in this spot. I have set-up a folder at Yahoo: You should get it here.

quote:

hmm.. i can't seem to get through to your forum to download this code.

I get this error (is your server busy/error in code?)
quote:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e37'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'Active_Users'.

D:\INETPUB\FREEASPCODE\WWW\SNITZ\../config/inc_top.asp, line 69

Please email me when I can get the code again. Thanks! kinki416@rogers.com

Come visit my forum and Chat!
http://www.dreamformations.com

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

freddydoes

108 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2002 :  02:12:59  Show Profile
hmmm... everything worked fine, but i never got my card that i sent myself

http://www.physicsforums.com
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2002 :  04:43:13  Show Profile
freddydoes,

Did you go in to the admin side of of the Greeting Card (admin_greeting_cards.asp) and set-up your mail server? Keeping in mind that the version you have only supports CDONTS... I am working on getting it intergrated properley with Snitz so it can work on the mail you use.

quote:

hmmm... everything worked fine, but i never got my card that i sent myself

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

freddydoes

108 Posts

Posted - 26 February 2002 :  11:31:42  Show Profile
yeah i have the server setup ok, if i use ASPmail on snitz, does that mess up the greeting card, even though i know my server has cdonts?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07