Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)
 Great multi-platform portal website with snitz!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AnimeMetro
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2002 :  01:15:37  Show Profile
Am I missing something here? The database has the tables for the Picture Gallery but there's no code for it. I don't see the asp pages anywhere....

Other than that, it seems that it could be really cool with only a few modifications.

Go to Top of Page

Starting Member

Italy
33 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2002 :  15:27:50  Show Profile
I like what the MaxWebPortal has to offer...but I could definitely do without the "Header" with the MaxWebPortal logo.

Does anybody know if the header can be modified / removed or does MaxWeb require it to stay as part of the free download. Something a bit more inconspicuous (like Snitz) would be nice.

Thanks

}--joe--{
Go to Top of Page

Kelly_Hero
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 10 April 2002 :  20:16:45  Show Profile  Visit Kelly_Hero's Homepage
Personally, I have had lots of problems with the MaxWebPortal. I've encountered bugs in the pic mod, the events calendar, the color schemes, the joke of the week, smilies,and I can't remember what all else. I've read through their support forum (when I've been lucky enough to catch it up) and have been able to fix some things. Other things, such as the events mod, I've yet to get anyone to respond to my questions.

I understand the guys who write these and put them up for everyone to use probably don't have a lot of time to help people like me who have questions, but a simple "We'll look into it and get back to you" would be appreciated instead of being ignored altogether. I don't mean to sound ungrateful for their hard work, but if I knew how to create my own, I wouldn't be here looking for one someone has already created. I would also put this note on their forum, but I haven't been able to pull it up for a couple of days now.

As of now, I'm looking for a new portal.

Kelly

The world is full of idiots. All we can do is accept the fact and move on. :o)
http://www.lighthousedesign.net
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 10 April 2002 :  20:26:14  Show Profile
the "MaxWebPortal" is really just a Snitz Forums 2000 Forum with a lot of the MODS that are posted here at this site already added. But, since they (being "MaxWebPortal") have decided to add these MODS and release this "MaxWebPortal", then they are solely responsible for the support of it. Please direct all inquires about this "MaxWebPortal" to their support site, or via e-mail to whoever is in charge.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly_Hero
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 11 April 2002 :  00:31:22  Show Profile  Visit Kelly_Hero's Homepage
I was merely adding my two cents worth.

Go to Top of Page

Kelly_Hero
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 11 April 2002 :  01:15:20  Show Profile  Visit Kelly_Hero's Homepage
I've been sitting here since my last post, wondering why I was so ticked at "being told off" for expressing my opinion about the aforementioned portal mod. Then it dawned on me. I "found" said portal through this very forum, downloaded it, and formed my opinion based on my experience with it. I don't think there's a better place to voice my opinions and experiences regarding the same than here so that someone else may read what I have to say and make a decision to download or not.

If you don't want people to voice their opinions about what they find in this forum, even if you don't intend to support it, then I think you should either delete this topic from the forum, or warn people that they have no right to voice their opinions!

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 11 April 2002 :  01:41:01  Show Profile
My post was not intended to "Tell you off" (it wasn't even directly solely at you), I was merely stating how we stand in regards to support questions involving the "MaxWebPortal". You are more than welcome to post your opinions on the "MaxWebPortal" here.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly_Hero
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 11 April 2002 :  02:28:46  Show Profile  Visit Kelly_Hero's Homepage
Thanks Richard for your reply. Just to let everyone know, I was finally able to post my opinion about the support issue on the MWP forum and got a reply from one of "the big guys". I'm waiting to see if we can get this sorted out.

I fully understand your position on not providing technical support for mods created by other people. I'm sure it causes the original developers lots of headaches!

For the record, I have three different versions of Snitz forums online and this is the first time I've ever had anything to gripe about.

Kell

Go to Top of Page

blackinwhite
Average Member

Turkey
657 Posts

Posted - 11 April 2002 :  08:41:35  Show Profile
I was just shocked when I see this in hotscripts.com as a seperate code titles as "MaxWeb Portal" since all th stuff used in it was coded by snitz modders.

some changes in the code doesn't mean to put it as a speretae code, I think.

Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 11 April 2002 :  09:29:01  Show Profile
quote:

I was just shocked when I see this in hotscripts.com as a seperate code titles as "MaxWeb Portal" since all th stuff used in it was coded by snitz modders.

some changes in the code doesn't mean to put it as a speretae code, I think.

They can distribute it as they wish as they have left all Snitz GPL/Copyright information in place. As they've spent time on modifying it they can put their own copyright stuff in there too which makes it a product of their own based on Snitz and Snitz MODs (all of which have the same license as Snitz).

It might not sound fair, but that's the way it is.

http://www.frutzle.com

Snitz Exchange | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

Raichelle

370 Posts

Posted - 11 April 2002 :  16:18:11  Show Profile
His forum looks pretty. I never knew a 3.1 can be customized that much with features I haven't seen on any snitz forum yet like the quick reply and referral feature ( I had a post about that last year but no reply ).

*Edited* Found it and his forum code was included also

Edited by - raichelle on 11 April 2002 17:05:47
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaDL
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2002 :  16:38:09  Show Profile
I'm using MWP and like it. The only prob I have had was when I deleted a color scheme, then named a new one the same as the one I deleted. Then my server wouldn't let me into the FTP (but I got in this morning) and reuploaded the db, but that was it.

I'm loving it, and at least I knew that it had to be the database messing up because of two fields being named the same.. hehe...

Ok.

Mine is up at:

http://freehost02.websamba.com/blueportal/

I don't have much up, just news and a poll, but I'm liking it alot :)

Go to Top of Page

PatriciaDL
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2002 :  17:23:10  Show Profile
the "header" is inc_top.asp and inc_top_short.asp

The bar that says register, etc.. is inc_nav_bar.asp

I just changed the bgcolor="#(actualy hexcode here)" to the color code I wanted

The angle thingy and the control panel buttons I edited. :)

Go to Top of Page

fsgateway
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2002 :  11:59:11  Show Profile  Visit fsgateway's Homepage
I am one of the support mods from maxweb, there are many posts pertaining to some of the problems you have encountered, all you have to do is a search, look, read... and maybe you can correct alot of the issues.

And many as the majority have no problems at all. It may be as simple as a mistake on your part. We have just as good of support as do snitz forums. It amazes me that you would come to snitz for support on a modified version of snitz and expect support for a modified code.

Snitz has a wonderful script that is modified by alot of people who make wonderful portals out there, before you trash someone, you should read their posts in the forum and get an idea of problems presented.

quote:

Personally, I have had lots of problems with the MaxWebPortal. I've encountered bugs in the pic mod, the events calendar, the color schemes, the joke of the week, smilies,and I can't remember what all else. I've read through their support forum (when I've been lucky enough to catch it up) and have been able to fix some things. Other things, such as the events mod, I've yet to get anyone to respond to my questions.

I understand the guys who write these and put them up for everyone to use probably don't have a lot of time to help people like me who have questions, but a simple "We'll look into it and get back to you" would be appreciated instead of being ignored altogether. I don't mean to sound ungrateful for their hard work, but if I knew how to create my own, I wouldn't be here looking for one someone has already created. I would also put this note on their forum, but I haven't been able to pull it up for a couple of days now.

As of now, I'm looking for a new portal.

Kelly

http://www.fsgateway.com
If at first I don't succeed, there is always next year.

Edited by - fsgateway on 21 April 2002 23:28:24
Go to Top of Page

Kelly_Hero
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2002 :  02:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Kelly_Hero's Homepage
quote:
I am one of the support mods from maxweb, there are many posts pertaining to some of the problems you have encountered, all you have to do is a search, look, read... and maybe you can correct alot of the issues.

As it so happens, I spent countless hours and read through EVERY SINGLE post on the MaxWebPortal and did not find an answer to my question concerning a specific error I was getting on my forum. I even asked for help several different times and got no reply from anyone, not even any suggestions as to what might be causing the error, if not the solution. Note: I just checked my last post (dated April 5, 2002) and it STILL has not been answered. I don't consider that very good support.

Also, since I did not start the topic that I posted in concerning my particular error, but replied to a topic where someone ELSE had the same error, I think it was obvious that I as you put it...."search, look, and read..."

In all fairness, I did receive a private message from the Admin after I posted the same comments on the MaxWebPortal forum that I posted here. My post there was deleted by the Admin. Apparently comments about lack of support are not allowed in the "Support" topic of that forum. At any rate, I NEVER received a solution to my error.

quote:
And many as the majority have no problems at all. It may be as simple as a mistake on your part.

After doing some research about Microsoft and VBScript errors,and combing through the posts on THIS forum, I found that the problem did indeed lie in faulty coding of some of the mods to the MaxWebPortal. This was, incidently, code on pages that I had simply uploaded to my server and that I had not altered in any way.

quote:
It amazes me that you would come to snitz for support on a modified version of snitz and expect support for a modified code.

If YOU had bothered to read the posts above, *G*, YOU would have noticed that I did not post in this topic asking for help on a "modified version of Snitz forums". I was simply stating my opinion of a product that I had found dis-satisfactory, so that other's may benefit from my experiences.

quote:
Snitz has a wonderful script that is modified by alot of people who make wonderful portals out there, before you trash someone, you should read their posts in the forum and get an idea of problems presented.

I did my homework - and then I dumped MaxWebPortal.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BTW: If anyone else has problems with this particular error:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e10'
No value given for one or more required parameters.

Try checking to make sure the capitalization in your SQL statements and the field names on your database match. If they do not match, you may get the error above. I manually fixed my pages so that my statements matched the field names capitalization exactly, and my errors went away. :o)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07