Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 07 January 2002 :  22:35:32  Show Profile
Howdy,

I have now added the updated Newsletter Mod to Free AspCode.net Snitz Modifications/Addons for downloading.

This will allow users to subscribe to the Newsletter and took away a few of the bugs that was in the previous version.

I hope this helps a few people out..

Regards,

Webmaster @ Classic Motorycling Australia
Classic Motorcycling Australia

xMANIGHTx

Italy
191 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2002 :  15:53:52  Show Profile  Visit xMANIGHTx's Homepage
I've posted somewhere a fix for the date that is automatically put in the newsletter form. So the correct forum/format date is displayed. Thanx to the friends here that helped me.
Then I put in this forum a trick to make members automatically "subscribed"
Why don't you include an option in the admin config to select if the members can choose or if they are automatically subscribed (and maybe leave them the option to unsubscribe via E-mail)

Distractly yours... manight@audiopro.it
Go to Top of Page

hoff_s
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2002 :  22:02:26  Show Profile
great work, Classicmotorcycling.

This mod was firstly requested by Rick, after the first release, I didn't get chance to update it, thanks for your guy's contribution.

Regards
Hoff_s

Edited by - hoff_s on 10 January 2002 22:13:59
Go to Top of Page

Dynamix

Germany
205 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2002 :  11:14:47  Show Profile
Iīve got some questions, beofre i install this MOD:
Is it possible with this MOD to subscribe to the newsletter if some one isnīt a member of the forum or is it only for registered users?
Can i include the form to register in other pages on a website as on forum pages?
And is every new user who registerd to the forum also included in the newsletter-table?
Which component does it use to send out the newsletter -that one which is used for the forum?

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2002 :  11:31:33  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
quote:

Is it possible with this MOD to subscribe to the newsletter if some one isnīt a member of the forum or is it only for registered users?

Yes

quote:

Can i include the form to register in other pages on a website as on forum pages?

You will need to make connection to the db.

quote:

And is every new user who registerd to the forum also included in the newsletter-table?

No

quote:

Which component does it use to send out the newsletter -that one which is used for the forum?

Whatever you use for a email on your server

[/quote]

Test Site:
EastPasco Huw's Code 3.3.10 SQL 2000
Snitz Mod Resource
Email
Go to Top of Page

Dynamix

Germany
205 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2002 :  11:49:24  Show Profile
Thanks for your really fast answers, rick7165!
Ok. Iīll try it.

Go to Top of Page

Korak
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2002 :  15:25:35  Show Profile
Sounds very nice!
Gonna download the script and try it out right away.
One question...any idea how many subscribers it should be able to handle without problems?
Is there any queing-function for sending the newsletter?
I'm using Jmail.

//Korak
Eskobar Online
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2002 :  00:49:11  Show Profile
Korak,

I use JMail as well, and it works fine sending to my list of 80 or so that I have. It sends with out any hassle at all..

quote:

Sounds very nice!
Gonna download the script and try it out right away.
One question...any idea how many subscribers it should be able to handle without problems?
Is there any queing-function for sending the newsletter?
I'm using Jmail.

//Korak
Eskobar Online

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2002 :  01:04:59  Show Profile
do you have any idea when the number of subscribers is up to 1000, 5000 or even more?

Thanks.

Edited by - bjlt on 16 January 2002 01:05:45
Go to Top of Page

hoff_s
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 17 January 2002 :  22:12:21  Show Profile
When I made this mod, I want to make it relative independent, in this case, if you do a little modification, you can put it in any website. but if you want, you could easily put a subscribe checkbox in the registration page and check it by default, then any new user registration will get newsletter. of course, you still have choice to let user just subscribe newsletter without go to registration step. if there are lots of person ask for this feature, I will find some time to do an update for this mod.

in fact, newsletter is a very popular features for a website, it's out of my expectation that lots of people are interested in it. in real life, I am c++ developer, specially deal with COM/DCOM/ActiveX + IE/Mozilla programming, quite busy now.

Happy Programming
Hoff_S

Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 18 January 2002 :  01:05:48  Show Profile
Hoff_s,

I would like to run as test site for you when you work out the include in registration. I have tried and not been able to do it. I just do not know Snitz as well as I would like to. If you have something on the cards that may give me an idea as to where to get started, that would be great.

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

hoff_s
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 18 January 2002 :  18:33:31  Show Profile
sure, will do. but maybe you can hack into it, basically, you need to modify two files, one is register.asp for new user registration, another is pop_profile.asp that is for user information update, such as unsubscribe. another one could be pop_delete.asp, but this file is for delete user, so we could not go to this step, i.e. even user was deleted from member table, he could still receive newsletter and this is not bad.

Hoff_s

quote:

Hoff_s,

I would like to run as test site for you when you work out the include in registration. I have tried and not been able to do it. I just do not know Snitz as well as I would like to. If you have something on the cards that may give me an idea as to where to get started, that would be great.

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

Extra Sports
Average Member

USA
644 Posts

Posted - 18 January 2002 :  19:23:02  Show Profile
Good job classicmotorcycling,
I just installed it and didnt believe it worked since last time I worked 2 hours and no luck! Good job

Extra Sports
Huw's forum in WinXP Theme!
www.es.pcfools.net
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 18 January 2002 :  23:24:11  Show Profile
That is what I found out (4 hours of trying to get it to work), so I ripped the code apart and with the database strings and got it to work. Done a few little touch ups and away it went. Found now it is real easy for everyone to use.

I am still going to try the subcription during registration, but hopefully Hoff_s will work it out for us all. I just need time to sit down and work on it.

quote:

Good job classicmotorcycling,
I just installed it and didnt believe it worked since last time I worked 2 hours and no luck! Good job

Extra Sports
Huw's forum in WinXP Theme!
www.es.pcfools.net

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

benny

57 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2002 :  14:41:10  Show Profile
Having some trouble getting this too work.
I get an error like this:

MailingList Records

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e37'

The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'FORUM_Maillist'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.

/user/heyppl/forum/nladmin.asp, line 32

And there is no table in the DB, despite when trying to install it says it already exists:

Hoff_s's Newsletter Mod

Creating table(s)...
CREATE TABLE FORUM_MAILLIST( ID int IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL , EMAIL varchar(50) NOT NULL , ACTIVE bit NULL , ACTIVE_TEMP bit NULL DEFAULT (1), DATE_CREATED varchar(20) NULL )
Table already exists

help would be appreciated

Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2002 :  21:30:41  Show Profile
You shouldn't be getting those errors. There are 2 versions of the Newletter MOD, hoff_s original one (which would give you those erros) and hoff_s that Classicmotorcycling fixed up. Go here and this should be the good one

Intrepidone

Edited by - Intrepidone on 27 January 2002 21:32:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07