Page: of 3

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 23 November 2001 :  17:12:49  Show Profile
Try this
<!--#INCLUDE VIRTUAL="../chat/online2.asp"-->

GauravBhabu
There is only one miracle...That is LIFE! | It is difficult to IMPROVE on Perfection, There is no harm in Keep Trying.
Go to Top of Page

retro

123 Posts

Posted - 23 November 2001 :  17:21:58  Show Profile
Still no go

It just feels like I'm missing something here. This shouldn't be this hard.

Obviously the
vUserCount = Application("UserCount1") 
command isn't grabbing the count if the file isn't being called from a virtual directory. I think the problem is that others have their forum folders in virtual directories and then the chat as a subdirectory. I, on the other hand, have my forum in a directory and then the chat is in a directory on the same level and is also a virtual directory.

Hmmmm....time to play some more I guess <G>! I will figure this out!

Thanks for the help!

Sean

Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 23 November 2001 :  17:28:43  Show Profile
that seems to be the reason to me as well

GauravBhabu
There is only one miracle...That is LIFE! | It is difficult to IMPROVE on Perfection, There is no harm in Keep Trying.
Go to Top of Page

retro

123 Posts

Posted - 23 November 2001 :  18:52:05  Show Profile
I think I'm going to ask my host to create a virtual directory for my forum. We'll see if calling the function from a virtual directory makes the difference or not. If it does, then this is a relatively simple mod to make that will really enhance the Pipey chat application.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Sean

Go to Top of Page

retro

123 Posts

Posted - 23 November 2001 :  20:18:11  Show Profile
I'm at my wits end. Hopefully someone will come along and solve this riddle. I have tried everything I can think of and just can't seem to make it work. Here's the final recap.

1) I created a subdirectory of my forum and called it "chatfiles" and moved the Pipey chat there.
2) I had my host create two virtual sites. One called chat that points to the chatfiles folder and the other called forum pointing to the forum folder.
3) I dropped the code in a file called online.asp and put it in the chatfiles folder. When I call the file using it works. It's ugly, but it works.
4) I created a file called chattest.asp and put it in the forum directory. All it does is include the online.asp file. When I call that file at it fails (you can tell it fails because there is no zero in the parentheses).

What this tells me is that a page that relies upon the Application() function cannot ever be included in a file outside the virtual directory where it is located and work.

BTW, I tried this with the INCLUDE FILE command with a direct path, and the INCLUDE VIRTUAL command using both ..\chat\online.asp and the \chat\online.asp calls.

I hope that someone who is smarter than me can figure this out. I'd love to have this mod, but don't have any more time to spend trying to get it to work.

Good luck to you

Sean

Edited by - Retro on 10 May 2002 17:05:03
Go to Top of Page

retro

123 Posts

Posted - 24 November 2001 :  02:16:21  Show Profile
Okay...I just couldn't let it go. It is a great mod and I wanted it. So I figured out how to make it work:

1) The code that eauxvives posted works great. Just make sure that you customize the link to your chat page (look through the code, you'll see what I mean).

2) The Pipey chat files NEED to be in the same folder as your forum files. Normally, I avoid mixing application files in the same folder, but this was the ONLY way I could get it to work. If you've read this far...you'll know that I've tried just about every possible combination of folder/virtual directories.

3) You need to have a virtual directory defined for your forum. If you can't do it yourself, just contact your host and telll them that you need a virtual directory to your http://www.yourdomain.com/forum directory. Probably best to name your virtual site "forum".

4) The Pipey chat files include a default.htm file. Delete this or rename it. Most hosts will load default.htm files before a default.asp file, so the default.asp file that your forum relies on won't load if you go to http://www.yourdomain.com/forum/ . Instead the Pipey chat page will load.

5) Just follow the instructions and make sure that the online.asp file is also in your forum directory.

That's it! If you want to see it in action, you can visit my site at

Enjoy!
Sean

Edited by - Retro on 10 May 2002 17:05:51
Go to Top of Page

eauxvives

Bhutan
145 Posts

Posted - 26 November 2001 :  03:44:42  Show Profile
retro,
great work!
just wanted to add something: mine works despite the fact that the chat files are not in the same directory as the forum...(in fact, in order to avoid the pb with virtual directories, I put the chat files in the root directory. it's dirty, but it works)

Go to Top of Page

AnimeMetro
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2001 :  02:22:38  Show Profile
Has anyone had a problem with the chat not working after a page or two of text is entered. After about 20 lines or so, or changing the mood icon, the chat stops displaying any further typed text. I am quite sure that I've set it up correctly since everything else works fine, but was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this type of problem and if they had any ideas.

Go to Top of Page

fpgal

93 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2001 :  01:21:54  Show Profile

Pipey freezes on my users constantly. Make sure you have the latest version of the Chat Room and of Flash. Then tell your users to try Refresh and then Reload (if Refresh doesn't work) whenever it freezes on them. It's a cool chat room but a royal pain in terms of that crashing problem. Unfortunately Pipey has no idea what's wrong either; I emailed him about it. Also, it starts really going wacko if you have more than eight people in it at once. Keep that in mind.

fpgal

Go to Top of Page

AnimeMetro
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2001 :  01:50:13  Show Profile
Thanks...I'd love to continue to use Pipey; however, since I run a large site and have a lot of people in my current chat room, it's not an option.
The reason I am looking for a new chat room in the first place is a security problem.
I have successfully integrated Snitz forum with Microsoft Exchange Chat server and can pass the user name into the java chat applet. The problem is that the java app has some limitations. I can't find a way to pass a password on connect. Even if I find a way to do that, people can still just log into the forum with another browser - say netscape and ie at the same time - and then go to the chat. It will automatically tell them that the name is in use and to pick another one.. So, this allows people to pretty much be able to pick any name they want and impersonate someone. At least they can't access the administration functions.

Now if there was a way to make sure that Snitz was not able to be used in multiple browser windows when you are logged in....
Or if anyone knows of other java apps that can connect to both Snitz and Microsoft Exchange...that would help a lot.

http://www.animemetro.com

Edited by - animemetro on 05 December 2001 01:20:47
Go to Top of Page

Kenno
Average Member

Cambodia
846 Posts

Posted - 04 December 2001 :  22:06:23  Show Profile  Visit Kenno's Homepage
quote:

Has anyone had a problem with the chat not working after a page or two of text is entered. After about 20 lines or so, or changing the mood icon, the chat stops displaying any further typed text. I am quite sure that I've set it up correctly since everything else works fine, but was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this type of problem and if they had any ideas.

Yes, I have that problems. I have to log in and off so many times. I don't like it much, but for now I can't find any alternative way.

In these days of computer viruses, asking if you may put your disk into someone's computer is the technological equivalent of unsafe sex.
Go to Top of Page

ferrarihead
Starting Member

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 05 December 2001 :  22:32:04  Show Profile  Visit ferrarihead's Homepage  Send ferrarihead an ICQ Message
ok i installed the chatroom code
i see chatroom is empty, but i dont see and code in the header
saying how to enter the chatroom

how do you do that?

ferrarihead

Small minds talk about others. Average minds talk about current events. Intelligent minds speak about new ideas.
Go to Top of Page

mas

78 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2001 :  18:31:57  Show Profile  Visit mas's Homepage
someone can say to me where I can download this mod?

Webmaster of VincereOnLine.it
Go to Top of Page

eauxvives

Bhutan
145 Posts

Posted - 11 December 2001 :  11:19:04  Show Profile
I'm not sure which mod you're talking about
well, you can download the flash chat at http://www.pipey.com/
to integrate the chat with the active users mod, just add the code that I posted at the top of this thread .
If you're simply looking for the active users mod, it's at http://freeaspcode.net/snitz/default.asp

Go to Top of Page

rbecking
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - 11 February 2002 :  08:45:10  Show Profile
I have tried Pipey chat and all I get is a rotating clock! Tried other websites that use it too and i only get it on them too. What is wrong?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07