Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

z-man
Starting Member

Netherlands
41 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2001 :  15:29:10  Show Profile
Hi all,

I have got the same problem as Rob. When running the setup of this mod nothing happens. When looking at the code I see the following:

if mLev = 4 then

When running the setup in admin mode, I see that the value of mLev is 0 (adding debug statements).

A few steps further an action is required (update, create). These actions are not invoked from the script. Can anyone help me to install this mod? I have seen a few sites with this mod live and I liked very much.

Thanks in advance.

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2001 :  16:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Ok... so I built the SQL table and then ran slash_admin.asp... and I'm looking at the page, thinking... what does this do?!! I feel like an idiot...

I've gone to see some of your demo sites and it LOOKS like a "Content Manager" of some kind -- but how do you use it? COuld someone give a basic explanation or post a topic link that explains this.

HelP!

Very appreciative of any help...

Rob

UPDATE: OK, I've made some progress. I now have a more basic question that someone might help me with. Right now, when I click on "UPDATE" in the slash_admin.asp form, it populates a table just below (on the same page), with some formated content from various forum posts.

How do I get this in a specific position on a web page? Do I use the slash.asp page as an include? Do I rename slash.asp everytime the content might be different and then use the custom SQL string to define the topics?

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 13 March 2001 17:07:23
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2001 :  18:24:15  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
quote:

yeah.. in the slash.asp there is a variable called strCustomSQL, you just need to add your custom SQL there.. for example, I want to show only post from forum 'news' which forumID is 9, with this I'll replace the current line :

strCustomSQL = " "

with

strCustomSQL = strTablePrefix & "and FORUM.FORUM_ID = 9"

and that would do the trick.

---
Johann Reyes
http://animedj.com

Edited by - animedj on 09 March 2001 09:32:49

Shouldn't this be:

strCustomSQL = "AND " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.FORUM_ID = 9"

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2001 :  18:31:10  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Johann,

Ok, I think I have it working -- I made different versions of the slash file (likeslash_feature.asp and slash_tips.asp, etc.) and even added a few more entries in the mod database that the different versions of the slash files reference.

My question is this: On your website, you actually have images posted -- is this accomplished using the slash file? I need to be able to "display" a forum p[ost that is html. Can this be done? Whenever I try, it just displays the tags, instead of actually rendering the html.

Any hints are appreciated.

Cheers!

PS: Very useful mod!

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2001 :  11:24:24  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
I figured out an approach for the images... and I've got a handle on the MOD. It works great! After using the Content Manager, I just couldn't get a handle on how to use Slash mod.

One comment to improve flexibility. I wanted to be able to pull out any post on a forum category and then identify the specific forum that it came from including a link to that forum. So I added the following:

strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.CAT_ID, " & _
strTablePrefix & "FORUM.F_SUBJECT, " & _
strTablePrefix & "FORUM.FORUM_ID, " & _
...to the SQL string. And then this:

TOPIC_ID = objRec("TOPIC_ID")
F_SUBJECT = objRec("F_SUBJECT")
FORUM_ID = objRec("FORUM_ID")
...to set the variables. Then I changed the display portion to add this information:

<font size="2" color="navy">
<b><%= T_SUBJECT%></b><br>
<font size="1" color="black"><i>Posted by <b>
<% if strUseExtendedProfile then %>
<a href="<%= strForumURL %>pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=<%= T_AUTHOR %>"><%= M_NAME %></a>
<% else %>
<a href="JavaScript:openWindow3('<%= strForumURL %>pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=<%= T_AUTHOR %>')"><%= M_NAME %></a>
<% end if %>
</b> on <b><%= ChkDate(T_DATE) %></b> @ <%= ChkTime(T_DATE) %></i><br>
<hr noshade size='1'>
<%= T_MESSAGE %><br>
<b>[</b> <a href="<%= strForumURL %>link.asp?TOPIC_ID=<%= TOPIC_ID %>">Read more</a> <b>|</b> <b> <%= T_REPLIES %>
</b> reply(s) <b>|</b> From <a href="<%= strForumURL %>forum.asp?FORUM_ID=<%= FORUM_ID %>&CAT_ID=<%= CAT_ID %>"><%= F_SUBJECT %></a> <b>]</b><br>
</font><br>

It works great! Thanks so much for this mod. Sorry I didn't "get-it" initially... had a brain cramp...

Cheers!

Rob

Made a correction with the display portion so that the link to go to the correct forum works...

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 14 March 2001 15:24:47
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2001 :  11:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
I found one small problem...

If the length of the message that is displayed happens to truncate the message in the MIDDLE of someones signature (that happens to use forum code to insert a link or a smilie), VERY STRANGE things can occur. If the "end tag" of some forum code is missing, it can mess up the format, leave "broken link" image containers, mis-colored text, etc.

Any ideas on how this can this be handled?

Cheers!

Rob

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2001 :  12:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Johann,

In an earlier message you mention about a webpage where you use the slash mod three different times. I've assumed that you used three copies of the slash.asp file -- by renaming them and then using them as includes. (Example: slash_1.asp, slash_2.asp, slash_3.asp)

When I do this, I get an error message in IE:
Error Type:
Microsoft VBScript compilation (0x800A0411)
Name redefined
/Cube-TecForumsDevelopment/slash_facility.asp, line 13, column 4
dim slash(), objDict
---^

How have you used this mod three times on that page?

Cheers!

Rob

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 14 March 2001 12:54:54
Go to Top of Page

doflynn
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2001 :  13:27:40  Show Profile
slash mod...

What does this do?

Go to Top of Page

animedj

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2001 :  14:39:04  Show Profile  Visit animedj's Homepage  Send animedj an ICQ Message
Hello, sorry for not answering before as I had computer problems lately...

Anyways, about the missing tags and all, it's a big problem with the mod, a quick and dirty fix would be something like when it truncates the length before it adds the [x comments] part would be just to add some extra closing tags like </b></font></a>, a much better fix would be to filter out any html tag so it won't mess up our page layout.. (the slash mod was using that before, but as people wanted also be able to see a format i had to remove it), and another one would be just to truncate it when it ends the first paragraph (but be aware that people can write really long first paragraphs) ...

and about using 3 slash mods in the same page, like I said it's a modified version from the one that it's release, and I'm using the slash.asp 3 times in the same page.. (not slash1.asp, slash2.asp) but basically do it's that I define some variables at the page level like how many post to show, how many characters, from what forum or category, and to show the message or not.. so I don't need to load up the config variables for the mod, and I don't get that error..

well, that's basically it.. laters

---
Johann Reyes
http://animedj.com
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 15 March 2001 :  10:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Ohhh!

I get it... thats what I'll do, thanks!

I think version 2 of this could be a function that passes a bunch of parameters to fetch exatcly what you need and then return a bunch of data so that you can format it any way you want...

Thanks again for a great mod and your hard work!!!

Cheers!

Rob

Go to Top of Page

thewarrior
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2001 :  03:58:14  Show Profile  Visit thewarrior's Homepage  Send thewarrior an AOL message
Johann,

Two things I think would make this MOD an A+++ instead of an A+ for me:

1) allow html codes to be passed from the posting so that smiles and formatting would show up.

2) add another field to the db to allow admins to have several slash mods controlled by one admin page... I was contemplating using the same approach that Rob was talking about, which was to have slash_1...etc... I also started to mod the mod to include several pages under one roof, but I've been job hunting lately and haven't had time to finish...

Great code, though. I really enjoy your mod. Hopefully, I will have my web site done soon and will post it for everyone to view. The company I am writing the page for currently is hosting competitions every weekend, and until the season is over, I can't switch to a ISP that has asp capability...

Thanks!

Todd Martin
Jack-of-all-trades...
Master-of-none...
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 20 March 2001 :  13:20:47  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Todd,

A couple of comments:

quote:

Johann,

Two things I think would make this MOD an A+++ instead of an A+ for me:

1) allow html codes to be passed from the posting so that smiles and formatting would show up.

This mod does not control if html codes are posted or not. This is function is under forum control. Please look at this topic:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6346&FORUM_ID=17&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=Selective+HTML+Posting+in+Forum&Forum_Title=DEV+Discussions+%28General%29

quote:

2) add another field to the db to allow admins to have several slash mods controlled by one admin page... I was contemplating using the same approach that Rob was talking about, which was to have slash_1...etc... I also started to mod the mod to include several pages under one roof, but I've been job hunting lately and haven't had time to finish...
...SNIP

Yes, I agree with your sentiments -- I'm now using both the slash mod and the content management mod both modified to suit my purposes -- because they aren't flexible enough. Fortunately both are easily extensible (for an asp programmer!) and thats the beuty of a Snitz Forum!

Cheers!

Rob

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 20 March 2001 13:26:18
Go to Top of Page

scozzaro
Starting Member

Italy
5 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2001 :  01:41:24  Show Profile  Visit scozzaro's Homepage
Where I can download the database with the guestbook?

Go to Top of Page

dan787
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2001 :  05:09:11  Show Profile
This SLASH MOD caused a huge amount of frustration .

Why does the SLASH MOD do? It basically displays the last 5 forum records. If you have a busy site it’s a ‘must have’.

As Mr Homes once said ” elementary my dear Watson “. In other words keep going until the light goes out! …Something like that.

I found that the file within the MODS folder the slash.asp file, actually gave me the good old Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' error code. However, there was no error when implementing the INC files within the destination page!

My advise to any one implementing this Snitz SLASH MOD code is very simple…

1/ Download the files needed from:

http://animedj.com/hacks/slashMod_2.10.zip

2/ Install the files into a directory within your Forum folder.

3/ Run the slash_admin.asp file by accessing it via your browser… ie Forum/MODS/slash_admin.asp Click the buttons etc

4/ The MODS file should now be set up. All you have to do is select the display mode.

* I COULD NOT ACCES THE “slash_admin.asp” FILE IN NETSCAP 6 *

5/ You need to include the following files within the page calling the Slash MOD (The Files are in your original forum code):

<!--#INCLUDE FILE=" Forum/config.asp" -->
<!--#INCLUDE FILE=" Forum/inc_functions.asp" -->

6/ finally you need to call the SLASH MOD via:

<!--#include file=" Forum/mods/slash.asp"-->

The above include can be placed anywhere within your calling HTML page.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards

Edited by - dan787 on 07 May 2001 05:14:15

Edited by - dan787 on 07 May 2001 05:17:04
Go to Top of Page

Warchild
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2001 :  08:13:33  Show Profile  Visit Warchild's Homepage  Send Warchild an ICQ Message
Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0126'

Include file not found

/forum/mods/slash_admin.asp, line 2

The include file 'forum/config.asp' was not found.

Explain that...

I've tried
back slash, forward slash with obviously no results, no includes at all with a "no drivers error" result

WTF is the problem with this Mod?

www.bitterreign.com "Dedicated to darkness"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07