Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2001 :  17:15:06  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Well couple of reasons... I don't have a need for the international version of snitz.... And I'm running Huw's modded code.

I don't know, but I feel everyone is being pushed over to the international version. :( Yes.. It might be nice for a couple of people, but you have to totally rewrite every mod! It will take forever to do this. When I do a mod.. I make it for the Standard Snitz and Huw's forum... I give the people a option.

PLUS the international version is beta! so the code you are using will have to be upgraded everytime a bug is found. So it's back to square one.

Don't take me wrong... I've been waiting and waiting for this new Portal Mod... And when It does finally come out I can't use it because it was writen on the Snitz beta international version. And nobody has the option to use it on any Older Versions of Snitz. Alot of people have older versions and don't want to upgrade because of all the mods they have installed.

I'm just having a bad day... Sorry.

Rick

Test Site:
http://www.eastpasco.com running on Huw's Code 3.3.10 SQL 2000
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2001 :  19:09:15  Show Profile
Well, V4 IS going to be international and I hope that mods WILL BE TOO from that point on - It´s just not only a few that benefit from it - there are MANY from the snitz community who aren´t US/UK natives. And we have had to spend huge amounts of time digging out the details in the code to create different language versions. - now all we have to fix up is just the langXXXX file. - please, lets have the old mods updated and internationalized -

regarding portal functions - Tschive and I are working on V2 - a whole new and more Snitz compatible system - if you want to join on the work, let us know - it will rely on Kal Corps forumgroups, category sharing, Rob and Guravbhabu´s DisplayCOntentMod, template Mod and our own and contenttype settings - hope this will be really cool - but any help will be appreciated - go join up at Tschive´s

Morpheus7 - Troelsr@msn.com
Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2001 :  19:52:50  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
I understand that, but everyone has been waiting for a long time for this mod and then you release it as a international version which is totally useless to most everyone because nobody has the international version of snitz and there are no mods for it. And alot of people are still running the Current and older versions of Snitz which now can't use the Portal. And most don't/can't upgrade because they don't want to or they have so many mods installed.

I understand and Thank Each and everyone of you that have put so much hard work into this Portal, But we all have been waiting for a Working Portal for a while now... And it's finally here and guess what? We can't use it

I'm sorry if I hurt anyones feeling or upset anyone, but I've been slammed with messages and emails wanting to know when a Working Portal was going to replace the current buggy one. I kept telling very soon.. Now what do we do?

Can't you guys RIP the Language part out of it so that the 95% of us can use it?

I've been questioned alot about this.. guess everyone is scared to stand up and say something... So I did.. Not to be mean, but to bring this issue to your attention. I guess I'm the bad guy (Spokesman)

Test Site:
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2001 :  20:29:17  Show Profile

The old code for 3.1 should still be available at the site + HuwR is runnin a 3.33 version - why not use that version?

By the time Tschive´s version is fully bugtested and modified further, the current beta4 will become an official release. - Then I am sure that HuwR will start working on an release based on that version (not too big a difference between 3.3 and 4 (mostly replacement of text with langstrings, actually.) - I´ve tested several mods on v4 and they seem to run fine with just a little tweaking and langstr replacements

Internationalism is an IMPORTANT feature that you see in the development path of all the succesfull open source projects around - look at nuke, PHPGroupware a.s.o.

Also, Rick, as far as I remember, there were actually some efforts from our behalf to cooprate with what was happening with HuwR´s Portal whilst he was gone. And as far as I remember, the response wasn´t very positive. - am i wrong? (the term 'garbage' comes to my mind).

Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2001 :  20:39:51  Show Profile
Good news though - the V2 that I´m doing the preface on, should work with both 3.33 and v4 - however it will need heavy updating when new versions and bugfixes to core files are released, since it utilizes them to construct the portal pages - planned features are...

links
articles - with related discussions shown in smaller font below (like nuke)
CMS (maybe)
events w. signup/send to calendar/reminder (both email+mobilephone)
usergroups
classifieds
usersites with customization
And hopefully complete personalization of content (like msn.com)

+ create your own contenttype

All of these utilizing the features allready built into snitz; subscribtion, moderation, printerfriendly + more.

these are the features I am working on now, but many more will/could be added - any suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2001 :  21:14:55  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
quote:

The old code for 3.1 should still be available at the site + HuwR is runnin a 3.33 version - why not use that version?

By the time Tschive´s version is fully bugtested and modified further, the current beta4 will become an official release. - Then I am sure that HuwR will start working on an release based on that version (not too big a difference between 3.3 and 4 (mostly replacement of text with langstrings, actually.) - I´ve tested several mods on v4 and they seem to run fine with just a little tweaking and langstr replacements

Internationalism is an IMPORTANT feature that you see in the development path of all the succesfull open source projects around - look at nuke, PHPGroupware a.s.o.

Also, Rick, as far as I remember, there were actually some efforts from our behalf to cooprate with what was happening with HuwR´s Portal whilst he was gone. And as far as I remember, the response wasn´t very positive. - am i wrong? (the term 'garbage' comes to my mind).

Morpheus... That's my Point! The Portal code out here now has Tons of bugs in it... You guys should of FIXED this portal First! before doing V 1.0... We have all been waiting for the new portal with all the bugs out of it... Instead you guys release a totally different version that is no good to us. You should fix what you have out here first.
AS for the trying to fix the Portal that was done... We got tired of waiting for you guys to fix it, but then we hear you're going to release it very soon... Here we wait for it and now it's totally usless.

Test Site:

Edited by - Rick7165 on 03 November 2001 21:21:06
Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2001 :  21:20:06  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Morpheus... I'm not going to sit here and fight with you over it... from the past I've learned you like that.

My whole point is:

You have a portal out here. YOU should of fixed it first.

You released a Portal that is no good to about 95% of us that have been waiting for YOU guys to fix and come to find out you had no plans on fixing it.

I'm Done!

Test Site:
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2001 :  21:52:24  Show Profile
Well, Rick, Check the previous releases - they´re all entitled ALPHA! - this means just in testing phase - SHOULD NOT be used in production enviroments - The 1.0 is the first OFFICIAL RELEASE of the portal mod. It is the product of our experiences with the different alphas - v1.0 is the only one you can expect any kind of service on, since it is the first real release of this -

but nevermind setting a copy up that will work with 2.2 isn´t reakky that hard - just <%INCLUDE langXXX%> containing only the langstrings for the portalpages (delete all other pagerelations) and then put it in you inctop or config file for 3.3 - that should actually do the trick. - pr if you dont want to mess with the config/inctop, put the include in the top of each of the portal specific pages.

Go to Top of Page

kovan

134 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2001 :  23:51:55  Show Profile
i feel my 2 cents are needed in this

rick, who ever is writing this mod, is doing it on their own time, and your not paying them. If your not happy with it, dont use it

morph, i have to agree with rick on the fact that you guys dont fix the problems and keep jumping to things that hardly anyone wil use
one must learn how to walk before they have the ability to run
so you know, articles, news, and links (thats half of the original portal)
contains more bugs than you could imagine
.. now think about all the other addons you have introduced,
mobile, cms, etc

word of advice for you guys
make something work first,
the sooner you guys learn this, the better you will be off

you and others got me in trouble with Huw over this, i hope your happy about that

but at the end of the day, we are ALL trying to make something that we can SHARE with others

so why not make something work then we will help you make the rest work

this was the SOLE reason we at huw's verson decided to take another route and not wait for yours to release
because we KNEW you guys could never deliver something useful
you were putting WAY too much on your table and could not meet your deadlines

NOTE: by saying "you" i am refering to everyone involved in the creation of this mod (excluding brent)

EVERYONE ELSE
i have modified the original portal
contains NEWS, ARTICLES, AND LINKS
if anyone is interested, email me personally i will give it to you
however i will not release it because i dont want to piss some people off

Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2001 :  04:53:23  Show Profile
If you want to use it - use it. Kovan, I partly agree with you that when a mod is released it should be stable and as compatible as possible, but I have to stress again that v1.0 is the first official release of this version, therefor there has been no support for 3.1 or 3.33. - I am sure sooner than we think everyone will be using International version. - But from very early on, internationalisation was an important feature for Tschive and us who helped him out on this Mod.

Regarding the features of V2. It will be a whole new system, that relies on the Snitz structure, and hardly uses any of the old portal files. Also it will utilize a the topic table to store other content in and read from it depending on its Contenttype and grouprelations

will be a while though - The good thing is that when the basic system is running, all the features I mention above will be easy to implement.

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2001 :  07:31:11  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
quote:

If you want to use it - use it. Kovan, I partly agree with you that when a mod is released it should be stable and as compatible as possible, but I have to stress again that v1.0 is the first official release of this version, therefor there has been no support for 3.1 or 3.33. - I am sure sooner than we think everyone will be using International version. - But from very early on, internationalisation was an important feature for Tschive and us who helped him out on this Mod.

Regarding the features of V2. It will be a whole new system, that relies on the Snitz structure, and hardly uses any of the old portal files. Also it will utilize a the topic table to store other content in and read from it depending on its Contenttype and grouprelations

will be a while though - The good thing is that when the basic system is running, all the features I mention above will be easy to implement.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?????

Gezzzz.... Listen the Point is YOU RELEASED A TOTALLY USLESS MOD!!! Snitz 4 NOT officially Released... It is not on the download page which makes it the MOD IS USLESS!

The point is you should of fixed what you have out there!!! Even YOU told me that they were fixing the Portal Mod. Hell How did we know you would fix it alright! Fix it so Nobody can use it.

STOP STOP STOP Forcing these people to use Snitz Version 4. Are you doing this so you can get these people to rewrite the mods for you??????

You want me to use the International Version? Ok.. I'll send you my code and over 100+ mods You will need to rewrite them... Oh and BTW I need them back in 24hrs. If you're going to force people to use this because you will not fix the Portal you have already out here... I say YOU rewrite all the MODS for Everyone so we can use your "NEW" Portal Version 1.0

Tell you want... I'm not going to say another word about this... I'm going to Take your PortalMod V1.0 rip it apart... Change the code... And make it so people can use it. So when I'm done... will this mean I can label it as "MY" (Rick's PortalMod)?

Test Site:
Go to Top of Page

Romee

Netherlands
180 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2001 :  08:43:41  Show Profile
Hello Rick,
I am very happy with the first releases of mods for the international version of Snitz. I translated earlier versions of the forum in Dutch as other people in the Netherlands did. In my production-environment I I still use the translated heavely modded version 3.3.
Like you I am not looking forward to implement all these mods again in the new version. But there is no alternative.
For us, people living in countries with our own language, it is huge step forward to have this international version. I have noticed a lot of sites in non-english speaking countries, that allready use it. And since the bugs of version 3.3 are also solved in the int. Version (thanks Bogden), I must say it is pretty stable.
What I don't like in your reaction is the assumption that 95% don't want mods for the intern. Version. (Or even that nobody wants it)
I think you are wrong. For me, and others, it is a logical development, an anticipation on the moment that version 4 will be officially released. It develops, and you have to adapt. But nobody forces you.
Romée

Go to Top of Page

dssww

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2001 :  09:45:55  Show Profile  Visit dssww's Homepage
The purpose of this topic was to introduce v1 of tschives portal, I see that we are off topic a little so I would like to see from Morpheus & Tschives is that you at least have a working forum before you release the additional portal code. I don't know if you really used the beta v4 of snitz or your own international version of 3.1sr4. I looked at your development site quickly and the same bugs you had in the alpha version of the forum is still in this release. (Show all topics still doesn't work, replies greater than 5 are not showing).

Good luck to all & I hope you provide the support as needed.

Go to Top of Page

tschive

Switzerland
63 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2001 :  11:26:36  Show Profile
once more time the same discussion ......

kowan, dssww please stop the fame.

i hope you noticed that in the v10 i release only the portal code.
when you install this version you are working with the original, not modified, version 40b02 of the snitz forums.

any other mods (who are used in the portal dev site) are not included.

the code of the portal code ist tested and "bug free". many peoples have downloaded and installed the code without probs!

regards
tschive

;-)
.... und tschüss
Go to Top of Page

kovan

134 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2001 :  12:33:49  Show Profile
keep up the good work

oh ya
and my name is kovan
not kowan

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07