Page: of 4

aldebaran
Starting Member

Spain
30 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  07:12:51  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

http://www.ls3k.com/snitz/40b3/ The file works, I dont know if the database will accept posts in Japanese though, you will have to try. (It's an Access 2002 with a DNS)

Japanese pages, also Snitz Forums in Japanese, would have to work perfectly under a Windows 2000 or XP. Perhaps only specifics programs that need access to system functions (CGI for examples) could have any problem, I don't know really. But I'm sure, HTML pages in japanese work perfectly under Windows 2000.

quote:

Alright, Nathan! The file works, but there is a problem with the encoding. If you leave the encoding up to the browser to auto select, you get gibberish (mojibake in Japanese). In IE you have to got to View>Encode> and select Shift JIS encoding for the page to display properly.

I don't know about other languages, but when I put together Japanese pages I always include this meta tage in the head to avoid problems.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=x-sjis">

Will other double byte languages have this encoding problem? Bozden, do you know? Turkish uses the latin alphabet, doesn't it? What about Russian/Cyrillic(sp?), Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, etc?

Regards,
Ken

Ok, this is important. Is not necessary to include a char encoding in HTML page to can see correctly japanese chars, only you should use it when you introduce japanese chars directly without decodification. This is a disadvantage by two reasons:

* When japanese encoding is active I can't see correctly chars of another languages. For example, in the page of example, http://www.ls3k.com/snitz/40b3/, if I select japanese language and after I select the combo to change the language again, I can't see correctly the word "Turkish" (in natal language). I could not see correctly another letters or symbols, for example "¿,¡,ñ" from other languages. I think this ocurred because you have used directly japanese chars, not decoded system.

* User sometimes needs to change font encoding in Internet Explorer or his browser to can see correctly japanese chars.

Well, then what is the solution?. Solution is to use unicode chars following way. With following way you can see japanese chars although you have selected western alphabet encoding in your browser, the user doesn't need change the font encoding and can see any symbol in any language.

See this HTML example of a web page. Copy it in notepad, save the page as .html and load in your browser. There isn't any meta tag and char encoding:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

Japanese chars: &#12390;&#12401;&#12366;&#12402;

Spanish chars: ¡,ñ,¿,ü,ó

Another languages chars: ö,ä,è,ì
</BODY>
</HTML>

I can see correctly all chars, and in this moments I am working with a NT 4.0 with Japanese IME support downloaded from Microsoft and I have western alphabet selected in IExplorer.

Example:

Japanese chars: てぱぎひ (do you can see correctly this with western alphabet selected in your browser?).

But the disadvantage is in some html editors you can't introduce japanese chars directly because the chars aren't decoded automatically to this system. But I think Frontpage 2000 decodes japanese chars automatically, I'm not sure. Microsoft Word decodes chars when you save the document in html format.

Edited by - aldebaran on 11 January 2002 07:32:54<
Go to Top of Page

aldebaran
Starting Member

Spain
30 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  08:09:19  Show Profile
quote:

http://www.ls3k.com/snitz/40b3/ The file works, I dont know if the database will accept posts in Japanese though, you will have to try. (It's an Access 2002 with a DNS)

Nathan Bales - Romans 15:13

Yeah, it's beautiful, Snitz Forums in Japanese!. Is the translation of seahorse?. If it isn't, where can I download it?.

Well, I only see two problems at the moment:

* The encoding of the page, in my last post I speak about this.

* Tooltips don't show correctly although I have selected japanese encoding in IExplorer and I can see perfectly rest of page. I only see unreadably symbols in tooltips (|||||||).

<
Go to Top of Page

aldebaran
Starting Member

Spain
30 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  08:13:44  Show Profile
quote:

Turkish uses Latin alphabet but has a couple special characters which cause troubles in latin-1, so as Nathan suggessted, the use of encoding type in LangNNNN.asp (olso in v40b02) solves the problem.

The preview problem is solved in v40b03patch001...

I am doing the tests with 4.03. When the 4.04 release?.

Please, move the post of chika here!.

Regards.

<
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  09:47:58  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Wow, using those references, you would practically have to translate the whole thing completely then translate it into that using software.

The major major drawback of that is that its not human readable/writable.

<edit> coarce, none of this is readable/writable be me

---------------------------------

Snitz Exchange | Mod Resource

Edited by - Nathan on 11 January 2002 09:50:12<
Go to Top of Page

aldebaran
Starting Member

Spain
30 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  10:19:08  Show Profile
quote:

Wow, using those references, you would practically have to translate the whole thing completely then translate it into that using software.

The major major drawback of that is that its not human readable/writable.

<edit> coarce, none of this is readable/writable be me

Well, I know that it is a little illegible, but the advantages of this are many, it is not necessary any char encoding type in the page, it is standard for everything!.

I also believe to remember like I have said before the Frontpage 2000 go translating to those codes the Japanese characters as you write. Then it doesn't have to have a lot of difficulty to write them there and later to copy them from the code HTML to where it is.

This type of encoding is very important. Think in a asp multilingual chat, what type of char encoding should have the page to be able to show all the international characters correctly?, because is impossible to have more than a char encoding type at the same time. The only solution is to use this type of codification.

Regards.

Edited by - aldebaran on 11 January 2002 12:28:59

Edited by - aldebaran on 11 January 2002 12:30:21<
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  19:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
How could posted messages and usernames and stuff be encoded?

Snitz Exchange | Mod Resource
<
Go to Top of Page

aldebaran
Starting Member

Spain
30 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2002 :  09:49:44  Show Profile
quote:

How could posted messages and usernames and stuff be encoded?

Automatically messages with japanese chars, usernames, passwords, etc. are encoded to directly references to unicode chars in Snitz Forums 4.03 beta. In fact, they are codes HTML, so you should never execute an instruction like Server.HTMLEncode of ASP that removes the code HTML of a text because then Japanese chars don't show correctly.

If you have texts with japanese chars don't encoded, you can use Frontpage 2000 which translates automatically these chars to directly references. For example, I opened the lang1041.asp with Frontpage and chars were converted automatically to this system.

Lang1401.asp under 4.03 beta has already been converted to this system after solve some errors with assignment of variables due problems with quotations marks. I have tried it and works perfectly.

Regards.

<
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 15 January 2002 :  04:46:29  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:

Lang1401.asp under 4.03 beta has already been converted to this system after solve some errors with assignment of variables due problems with quotations marks. I have tried it and works perfectly.

Aldeberan,

If you have found any errors, please let me know so I can fix the file. Thanks.

Ken

<
Go to Top of Page

aldebaran
Starting Member

Spain
30 Posts

Posted - 16 January 2002 :  06:56:13  Show Profile
quote:

Aldeberan,

If you have found any errors, please let me know so I can fix the file. Thanks.

Ken

I have sent you the asp page with fixed errors. There were some small errors with quotation marks, but these were easy to fix, so I fixed these errors.

I have tried a bit and I haven't more errors. Now I think only possible small errors can be in translations. But I can't help you with this due to my small level of japanese, sorry. Only a japanese native person can help us.

Aldebaran.

<
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2002 :  20:46:44  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:

Ok, this is important. Is not necessary to include a char encoding in HTML page to can see correctly japanese chars, only you should use it when you introduce japanese chars directly without decodification.

Hi Aldeberan,

I've taken a look at your unicode file version of the lang1041.asp file and I can't read it. The unicode encoding is not very human friendly and I don't have the software necessary to make it readable.

While I understand your desire make the Japanese language file as accessable as possible, the unicode encoding makes it tough for me to continue any further translations on the lang1041.asp file. Is there any other way around the unicode encoding?

Ken

<
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 20 January 2002 :  20:50:23  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:

Turkish uses Latin alphabet but has a couple special characters which cause troubles in latin-1, so as Nathan suggessted, the use of encoding type in LangNNNN.asp (olso in v40b02) solves the problem.

This might be an easier solution. I've taken a look at the unicode version and it is not human friendly unless you have the software necessary to make it readable. Adding encoding type might be the most practical way to go.

Ken

<
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

593 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2002 :  22:34:09  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

Ok, this is important. Is not necessary to include a char encoding in HTML page to can see correctly japanese chars, only you should use it when you introduce japanese chars directly without decodification.

Hi Aldeberan,

I've taken a look at your unicode file version of the lang1041.asp file and I can't read it. The unicode encoding is not very human friendly and I don't have the software necessary to make it readable.

While I understand your desire make the Japanese language file as accessable as possible, the unicode encoding makes it tough for me to continue any further translations on the lang1041.asp file. Is there any other way around the unicode encoding?

Ken

<
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

593 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2002 :  22:40:51  Show Profile
Totally new and innocent....and not techie...but interested Japanese version...Couldn't open asp file for JA - probably not having tools or environements to open the file properly..

Tes‚”
ƒeƒXƒg
ŽŽŒ±
ýÄ

“ú–{Œê

<
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

593 Posts

Posted - 22 January 2002 :  23:10:21  Show Profile
My previous message does not show properly with Japanese (EUC) setting in IE6.0. Using MS Global IME editing tool (which I assume is unicode based in handling charsets) so Japanese autoselect in broswer is set to Japanese shift-jis? Both auto select and shift-jis can display Japanese properly.... I don't have a native Japanese OS environment - working on XP Home machine wtih Global IME Japanese as a Japanese editing environment... Don't have Front End but have Office XP where Global IME for Japanese editing can be used in MS Word....not in an editor. As for a text editor, using NJ Star....

Would like to take a look at your Japanese translation but don't know how to open your .asp file properly.... Any suggestions? (Although I am not technically sophisticated at all, I can try).

Thanks.

<
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 23 January 2002 :  04:25:16  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
You can use Notepad to just open it up as a txt file. Failing that virtually any HTML editor will open up and display .asp code for you.

HALO - an EverQuest and Camelot Guild<
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07