Japanese lang1041.asp file semi-ready
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 24 October 2001 :  23:34:18  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks,

I've finished most of the translation for the Japanese lang1041.asp file. I say most becuase I have no idea how to translate the remaining items. I'm not a native Japanese speaker. I'd appreciate it if someone could proofread the file and sent me their feedback. Thanks.

Regards,
K

Pick up the file here - http://www.geocities.com/ethan_91030/index.html

Edited by - seahorse on 24 October 2001 23:35:28

Edited by - seahorse on 25 October 2001 03:12:06

[moved by bozden on 30 September 2002]

<

Edited by - Deleted on 30 September 2002 17:41:44

aldebaran
Starting Member

Spain
30 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2002 :  19:42:56  Show Profile
quote:

Hi Folks,

I've finished most of the translation for the Japanese lang1041.asp file. I say most becuase I have no idea how to translate the remaining items. I'm not a native Japanese speaker. I'd appreciate it if someone could proofread the file and sent me their feedback. Thanks.

Regards,
K

Pick up the file here - http://www.geocities.com/ethan_91030/index.html

Edited by - seahorse on 24 October 2001 23:35:28

Edited by - seahorse on 25 October 2001 03:12:06

What is the state of japanese version?.

<
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2002 :  21:06:08  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:

Zero progress. The file is unchanged since I last posted it. V4 beta 3 lang1041.asp changes have not been incorporated. No response from the general community. No one has volunteered to help me with the remaining translation or proofread the file.

I've got all of the necessary Japanese language changes I need in a heavily moded v3.3. It's customized for company use and tied into an Oracle DB so it's not worth posting to the community unless you've got access to our HR Employee DB

I don't think there is a large enough Japanese speaking population in the Snitz community to justify the work. I'm not willing to commit additional time to the v 4 project unless I can get some help. Sorry.

Regards,
Ken

Edited by - seahorse on 08 January 2002 21:06:56

Edited by - seahorse on 08 January 2002 21:10:30<
Go to Top of Page

aldebaran
Starting Member

Spain
30 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2002 :  08:38:55  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

Zero progress. The file is unchanged since I last posted it. V4 beta 3 lang1041.asp changes have not been incorporated. No response from the general community. No one has volunteered to help me with the remaining translation or proofread the file.

I've got all of the necessary Japanese language changes I need in a heavily moded v3.3. It's customized for company use and tied into an Oracle DB so it's not worth posting to the community unless you've got access to our HR Employee DB

I don't think there is a large enough Japanese speaking population in the Snitz community to justify the work. I'm not willing to commit additional time to the v 4 project unless I can get some help. Sorry.

Regards,
Ken

Edited by - seahorse on 08 January 2002 21:06:56

Edited by - seahorse on 08 January 2002 21:10:30

Well, it's a bad notice... I was interested in your translation, cuz I'm a student of japanese language. Anyway, thank you for all work done.

<
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2002 :  20:59:49  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:

Well, it's a bad notice... I was interested in your translation, cuz I'm a student of japanese language. Anyway, thank you for all work done.

I know how you feel. I'm a bit disapointed by the lack of interest as well. I think that there would be more interest if the Snitz site itself was in Japanese. It's tough for a Japanese speaker to come in and read this site in English and know what's going on. I've been thinking about hosting a Japanese version of the forum, but the time and expense are a real barrier. Know a cheap hosting company that can handle Japanese?

The v4 beta 2 lang1041.asp file is definetly usable. The User side is done. So there shouldn't be any complaints from that end. It's just the admin side that mostly needs work. The tech lingo is a tedious excercise to get right from E to J. If you're a student of Japanese and plan do the admin yourself, it might be easier if the admin side remained in English.

The v4 beta 3 changes are mostly minor. Simple stuff that any beginner in Japanese might do. You know colors, etc. You might want to give them a try. I'm just too lazy to do the work.

Regards,
Ken

<
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2002 :  08:07:03  Show Profile
Plus there are some more in the post v40b03 patches... I know there will be a lot more with v3.4 introduced, may be more than 100 phrases, but mostly they are very similar phrases like the existing ones...

Seahorse, I also could not get any support in Turkish... Please don't give up ... You may like to invite some of your friends in your country to the group...

I wish I could help...

Think Pink
Test Site not ready yet | Post v40b03 Patches<
Go to Top of Page

aldebaran
Starting Member

Spain
30 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2002 :  17:34:57  Show Profile
quote:

I know how you feel. I'm a bit disapointed by the lack of interest as well. I think that there would be more interest if the Snitz site itself was in Japanese. It's tough for a Japanese speaker to come in and read this site in English and know what's going on. I've been thinking about hosting a Japanese version of the forum, but the time and expense are a real barrier. Know a cheap hosting company that can handle Japanese?

Well, I think this forum and its posibilities aren't known by students of japanese and public in general. It's a shame.

I don't understand when you say "Know a cheap hosting company that can handle Japanese?". What do you mean when you say "handle japanese"?.

quote:

The v4 beta 2 lang1041.asp file is definetly usable. The User side is done. So there shouldn't be any complaints from that end. It's just the admin side that mostly needs work. The tech lingo is a tedious excercise to get right from E to J. If you're a student of Japanese and plan do the admin yourself, it might be easier if the admin side remained in English.

Sorry, but I have tried to contact with you by email. I send you an email cuz I have some problems when I try to load the asp page. Problems are with unfinished strings, with quotation marks (").

quote:

The v4 beta 3 changes are mostly minor. Simple stuff that any beginner in Japanese might do. You know colors, etc. You might want to give them a try. I'm just too lazy to do the work.

Regards,
Ken

Well, my japanese level is very slow. Sorry, I won't can continue translating the forum.

Cheer up Ken!. You have done a great work. Thank you very much for all!.

Regards.

<
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2002 :  21:20:45  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:

Plus there are some more in the post v40b03 patches... I know there will be a lot more with v3.4 introduced, may be more than 100 phrases, but mostly they are very similar phrases like the existing ones...

Seahorse, I also could not get any support in Turkish... Please don't give up ... You may like to invite some of your friends in your country to the group...

I wish I could help...

Thanks for the vote of support. Just for aldeberan, I started adding in the v4b3 changes to my file. Should I wait for the v3.4 additions before I finish the changes?

What bothers me most about the translation is that I'm not a native Japanese speaker. I'd really like some feedback to make sure I get the best translation. My translation probably sounds strange to native Japanese.

By the way, I wish you could help too. ha ha.

Regards,
Ken

<
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2002 :  21:32:00  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:

Sorry, but I have tried to contact with you by email. I send you an email cuz I have some problems when I try to load the asp page. Problems are with unfinished strings, with quotation marks (").

I've read your email and I'm not sure what the problem is with unfinished strings. The Lang1041.asp file was from v4b2. Bozden, is this a beta3 related issue?

How embarassing... I haven't tested the lang1041.asp file. That's part of the reason I need feedback. I just started the translation on the assumption that the file would work. Since we've moded v3.3 here at work, it's tough for me to spend time working on v4. I don't have the environment necessary to work on it at home.

Regards,
Ken

<
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2002 :  22:27:28  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:

I don't understand when you say "Know a cheap hosting company that can handle Japanese?". What do you mean when you say "handle japanese"?.

All the sites I've worked on are hosted by a server with the same native language. Japanese language site are hosted on a Japanese version of NT, or Win2k. English sites are hosted on the English version of NT or Win2k.

What I'd like to know is if I can host a Japanese site on an English NT or Win2k server? If so, I'd like to find a cheap host in the States that I could host a Japanese version of snitz on.

I have no idea if there are any cheap ASP hosts in Japan. But I might give one a try if someone can point me to a good host. By cheap I mean 2500 yen or less a month.

I was thinking of trying 121hosts, but the topics on them in the hosting forum aren't very positive right now.

I need a place where I can test my translated lang1041.asp file too.

I hope that's clearer.

Regards,
Ken

Edited by - seahorse on 10 January 2002 22:29:32<
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  00:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
http://www.ls3k.com/snitz/40b3/ The file works, I dont know if the database will accept posts in Japanese though, you will have to try. (It's an Access 2002 with a DNS)

Nathan Bales - Romans 15:13
---------------------------------

Snitz Exchange | Mod Resource
<
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  00:49:13  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:

http://www.ls3k.com/snitz/40b3/ The file works, I dont know if the database will accept posts in Japanese though, you will have to try. (It's an Access 2002 with a DNS)

Alright, Nathan! The file works, but there is a problem with the encoding. If you leave the encoding up to the browser to auto select, you get gibberish (mojibake in Japanese). In IE you have to got to View>Encode> and select Shift JIS encoding for the page to display properly.

I don't know about other languages, but when I put together Japanese pages I always include this meta tage in the head to avoid problems.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=x-sjis">

Will other double byte languages have this encoding problem? Bozden, do you know? Turkish uses the latin alphabet, doesn't it? What about Russian/Cyrillic(sp?), Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, etc?

Regards,
Ken

<
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  01:06:34  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:

Nathan,

The system seems to work fine. I didn't think there would be problems, becuase I can post Japanese to the Snitz forum too. The only problem I've found seems to be that the posting preview function displays question marks for Japanese characters, but when you look at the post in the topic it looks fine.

Are you running a "stock" NT server? If you are, maybe I can get away with hosting a Japanese forum from a US host.

Thanks for all the help.

Ken

<
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  01:09:43  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Its a readyhosting W2K machine. It also runs fine on my XP machine.

<
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  01:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
There should be an 'encoding type' vairable that can be defined at the top of the LangNNNN.asp file. Then it can be included in a meta statment in inc_top.asp

<
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  06:52:15  Show Profile
Turkish uses Latin alphabet but has a couple special characters which cause troubles in latin-1, so as Nathan suggessted, the use of encoding type in LangNNNN.asp (olso in v40b02) solves the problem.

The preview problem is solved in v40b03patch001...

Think Pink
Test Site not ready yet | Post v40b03 Patches<
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07