Mods Requiring Addition of Tables in DB
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2001 :  01:53:33  Show Profile
Those who create Mods and need to Add new tables to the database, please follow the guidlines as below. This has beem tested on version 3.3.03.

• Create a new file in your text Editor and name it dbs_MODNAME. You may change the file extension from .txt to .dbs or .asp afterwards

• Do Not use reserve words. Else it will give an error.

• Use some letter in front of the field names to avoid this e.g. A_Field1, A_Field2...

• Description Should be the Top Line

• Write [CREATE] in the next line

• If You want to create a field with Auto Number then write the Field Name in the Next Line, otherwise Leave it Blank

• Write Each Field Name in a separate Line

• Write [END] in the line next to the last field Name Line

• Here is an Example

Following is an Example for Mod BannerLinks and will create a Table FORUM_BANNER with AutoNumber Field Named LinkID

MOD BannerLinks DB SetUp
[CREATE]
Banner
LinkId
B_Name#varchar(255)#NULL#
B_Path#int##0
B_Images#varchar(255)#NULL#
B_Type#int##0
B_Kind#varchar(50)#NULL#
B_Char#varchar(50)#NULL#
B_Date#date##
B_DateLast#date##
B_Url#varchar(255)#NULL#
B_Introduction#varchar(255)#NULL#
B_Display#int##0
B_Click#int##0
B_Accounts#varchar(50)#NULL#
B_PassWord#varchar(50)#NULL#
B_Class#varchar(50)#NULL#
B_CPM#int##0
[END]

Following is an Example for Mod BannerLinks and will create a Table FORUM_BANNER without AutoNumber Field

MOD Banner Links DB SetUp
[CREATE]
Banner

B_Name#varchar(255)#NULL#
B_Path#int##0
B_Images#varchar(255)#NULL#
B_Type#int##0
B_Kind#varchar(50)#NULL#
B_Char#varchar(50)#NULL#
B_Date#date##
B_DateLast#date##
B_Url#varchar(255)#NULL#
B_Introduction#varchar(255)#NULL#
B_Display#int##0
B_Click#int##0
B_Accounts#varchar(50)#NULL#
B_PassWord#varchar(50)#NULL#
B_Class#varchar(50)#NULL#
B_CPM#int##0
[END]

Share A Square at forumSquare

GauravBhabu
There is only one miracle...That is LIFE!

RDoGG™

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2001 :  08:08:06  Show Profile  Visit RDoGG™'s Homepage  Send RDoGG™ an AOL message  Send RDoGG™ a Yahoo! Message
hey GB. great guidelines, but you've just reinvented the wheel.

Check out HuwR's description at his site:

http://magicmushroom.org.uk/forum/file_library.asp?showmethefile=7

RDoGG™
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2001 :  08:18:05  Show Profile
You are right RDoGG™. The search on snitz was not directing to that source. And I came to know after I was done assisting a member on this at snitz.

GauravBhabu
It is difficult to IMPROVE on Perfection, There is no harm in Keep Trying.
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2001 :  09:26:21  Show Profile
Cool with some tutoring, though.

1 - could you teach us how to set a dynamic string in the config.asp from the DB also?

2 - would the statement from this DB setup file also work when writing to database from a new mod - like: could i write [INSERT] table_table and so on in my e.g. HOST_MOD.asp?

mph73

Morpheus73 - morpheus73@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2001 :  09:45:16  Show Profile
This is again a topic about documentation. Like the others I also keep the documentation I created on my site and direct people towards there. Two weeks before, there was a member who (re)started to put some standarts. Do you "see" that guy around?

We desperately need some standarts, especially on MODs (some do very well):
1. File naming standarts ***
2. Variable naming standarts ***
3. Coding standarts
4. Documentation standarts
5. External/Internal version numbering standarts (for mods) *****
6. etc etc etc

Do you remember if the latest "released" version of person A's mod B is v3.1sr4 compatible or not? And where is the Internationalized version of Events Calendar mod? Do you remember it's existance?

Should a MOD writer create a new connection or use the existing one? Is it OK to set myConn to nothing? What's the decision in what case? And again speed-up questions/remarks on swapping bw html and asp... Where is the knowledge base of selected Q&A's? (No, this forum is not a knowledge base, even with the new search engine you find a lot of unrelated stuff). Where are the volunteers for keeping it? Can we ask for volunteers?

Sure I'm talking about nonsense for free time work. Some of the guys just collect the mods, make a good "unofficial" library of them. Very nice and important work and best way to find them back...

The problem is not related to the core code, but to the the MOD's. They are very important. Who has a working unmodded forum installation? But it will really suck after the next major version change. Think about people creating v4.0 compatible language files... Dozens of language.asp or inc_language.asp files will be created with thousands of new strHello variables. And, yes! I'll help on putting standarts but it must be a group work - I wrote a lot of code on base snitz code but they were not such as these nice codes around. You know more about these. While Huw is away with whom can I work about changes in MOD DB setup about the idea of installable language packs?

Time after time coding on Snitz will be more problematic because the number of lines in the code is constantly increasing. If you add one more feature, you will have to change more files, introduce bore bugs... And some of these nice mods will eventually go into te core code.

The only solution I can think of is a MODder Board (a collection of good -systematic- MODder/coders) who will decide on or collect the standarts, evaluate the MODs, point on what's missing, let the MOD coder correct it, help if necessary. If the quality is good enough it will be versioned and put into the safe and made accessable. Otherwise it will dim in the depths of the archives.

And, why not have another group of judges for the MOD of the Month?

(My $1 - Wrote too much )

PS: Please do not answer to this. Just think about these for a while! I'm not offending anyone, but as a computer engineer, I know that (at least some of) these are a must! I'll be around to do some of them for sure .

Think Pink
Test Site & Guidelines | DL Post v40b02 Files
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2001 :  10:01:53  Show Profile
Huw has a very nice collection and interface! That means that I have been so lasy to dig into his site .

Think Pink
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2001 :  10:02:48  Show Profile
I fully agree with Boz! - Snitz is too unorganized...for inspiration on how to organize a project like this, look at www.phpgroupware.org. - instead of the MOD/w and MOD W/O code, we should make a group of DEV´s with strict moderators like Boz Was on internationalization, decide on the progress and oversees the implementations...

mph73

Morpheus73 - morpheus73@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2001 :  10:25:57  Show Profile
quote:

Snitz is too unorganized...

quote:

with strict moderators like Boz Was on internationalization, decide on the progress and oversees the implementations...

The one above are both overemphesized. I had the time in the last two monts as I was working somewhat parttime. There are a lot of people around doing extra ordinary work! The need is to spend some time for thinking and re-organizing. I have my own reasons, because I'm afraid of the following fact: Few people will use v4.0 because there will be no mods compatible with them.

Last night I worked on Events (Int. version) and found that even in it there are a lot of work to do! From left-over strings (few), wrongly formed links, to te "date" format itself. I plan to re-organize it (in language) put some common code into inc_language.asp, package it and send back to Aznknigth to look and release. It is one of the major mod's, but lacks moderation etc features which came in v3.3.

Yes something like this:
quote:

instead of the MOD/w and MOD W/O code, we should make a group of DEV´s

Think Pink
Go to Top of Page

Gonzbert
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2001 :  11:23:19  Show Profile
I think the problem is, that there is no real website, where snitzers can find a collections of ALL official MODs. When I started with snitz, I thought the few MODs avaible on the snitz homepage are all. But after reading some topics in this forum, I know better. There should be an offical snitz-MOD website.

@bozden:
you believe that few people will use v4 because of uncompatible MODs. A possible solution is to implement all important MODs, like Event Calendar, PN-Functions. An admin should be able to enable/disable those features in the admin screen. Then nobody has a problem, but it is hard work for the snitz team.

Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2001 :  11:41:59  Show Profile
quote:

but it is hard work for the snitz team.

Think Pink
Go to Top of Page

liqu1d
Starting Member

Greece
47 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2001 :  12:06:50  Show Profile  Visit liqu1d's Homepage
quote:

Last night I worked on Events (Int. version) and found that even in it there are a lot of work to do! From left-over strings (few), wrongly formed links, to te "date" format itself. I plan to re-organize it (in language) put some common code into inc_language.asp, package it and send back to Aznknigth to look and release. It is one of the major mod's, but lacks moderation etc features which came in v3.3.

I agree with Boz... I am translating Snitz Forum for the Greek language (btw, boz, I'm alomost done)... So, I tried to translate Events. It is really difficult just to find all the strings.. And god the dates, the "data" format as boz characterizes it, it is really difficult to translate it... Just translate it, not create langauge files for it...

Standards is the key! Boz, you are absutely right...

regards

liqu1d magic
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2001 :  12:10:05  Show Profile
quote:

PS: Please do not answer to this. Just think about these for a while! I'm not offending anyone, but as a computer engineer, I know that (at least some of) these are a must! I'll be around to do some of them for sure .

And, I believe that will not serve much purpose.
I hope the standards, which must be set, will be set by those who are in position to do so.

However, I want say, I put this guidance only after working good part of night, assisting a member. See Below:

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&TOPIC_ID=16144

I made several tests with the code and found out some issues which I listed. I searched snitz and found out no reference to those. May be I was lazy to look at HUW's (and snitz search did not take me there). And I looked within myself to find the solution.

GauravBhabu
It is difficult to IMPROVE on Perfection, There is no harm in Keep Trying.

Edited by - GauravBhabu on 01 September 2001 12:13:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07