Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Arne
Starting Member

Denmark
13 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2001 :  10:45:58  Show Profile  Send Arne an AOL message  Send Arne an ICQ Message  Send Arne a Yahoo! Message
Hi,
It is a great MOD and I just want to inform you that it works fine in v.3.3 with a few modifications. Your description is so good that the integration to 3.3 is quite easy. It only took ˝ hour to make the changes. I now run it with the JPilot and it looks nice. Thank you!

Arne

Go to Top of Page

Cyber Paladin

55 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2001 :  10:51:56  Show Profile  Visit Cyber Paladin's Homepage
Cool idea. I thought about something like that, but I hit one road block. That only works if the page refreshes over and over again thus keeping you active in the active users. I'm using JIRC as well. The problem is that if that person opens the chat window and stays a bit and closes the forum (not chat) then the active users will timeout. So all the active chatters disappear....

WAIT! <- Just had a eureka moment, hehe
Invisible frame! Stick a small invisiable frame on the page with JIRC. Set it to refresh say every 9 or so minutes (a little less than the timeout setting for the active users, something high tho don't want users to get really slow). It's so simple! Hehe. Funny how that idea came to me when I wasn't thinking about how to fix it.

Remember... Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.
Go to Top of Page

Arne
Starting Member

Denmark
13 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2001 :  11:04:54  Show Profile  Send Arne an AOL message  Send Arne an ICQ Message  Send Arne a Yahoo! Message
Hi,
Invisible frame :-) Could you provide the code for such, I am a bit tired and would love it if you just wrote the code here, and I am not really sure what you mean anyway ;-) though the sound of it is good.

Arne

Go to Top of Page

Martha2Mary

New Zealand
250 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2001 :  16:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Martha2Mary's Homepage  Send Martha2Mary an AOL message  Send Martha2Mary an ICQ Message  Send Martha2Mary a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Whew, finally got this going and I love it! I think it's really important to have some way of knowing if there are people in a chat room to bring even more in.

The only things I wish were different would be to have the blinking icon blink forever and to combine the sql/recordsets for this and Active Users to speed things up. The code is almost identical so it shouldn't be too tough.

I also have a problem with special characters such as in my @tomic moniker being inserted into the chat entry form. AOL members have had some trouble entering as well. Isn't there some bug involving this chat room and AOL members?

Hi @tomic,

I am so glad that this mod worked for you! In regards to your 'wishes', the icon below is one that will continuously flash, so just save it and use instead of the one in the zip.

In regards to the recordsets, someone who has more knowledge of asp code could no doubt improve on what I have done. You see, in a previous life, the active_chatters.asp page in the zip was actice_users3.asp. I knew that the information I needed to display how many Members were on my chat page was already being recorded by the Active Users code, so I just had to figure out how to retrieve that info, and limit it to display and count only those who were on my chat page. So, I studied the active_users pages, modified one, and renamed it active_chatters. That is the limit of my asp skills, so if anyone knows how to do what @tomic would like to, please go ahead, and then let us know what code needs to be changed/modified.

I'm not sure what to do about the moniker problem, or the AOL problem - it might be worth checking into via the JPilot Support Forums. I had someone on a Mac who couldn't get it to work, but found a work-around at the JPilot Forums which does work, so they might have something similar for AOL.

Hope some of this is helpful!

*If Knowledge is Power, and Power Corrupts, what hope is there for Mankind *
Go to Top of Page

Martha2Mary

New Zealand
250 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2001 :  16:51:10  Show Profile  Visit Martha2Mary's Homepage  Send Martha2Mary an AOL message  Send Martha2Mary an ICQ Message  Send Martha2Mary a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Hi,
It is a great MOD and I just want to inform you that it works fine in v.3.3 with a few modifications. Your description is so good that the integration to 3.3 is quite easy. It only took ˝ hour to make the changes. I now run it with the JPilot and it looks nice. Thank you!

Hi Arne,

I'm pleased to hear that it worked, and thank you very much for letting us know!!

Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2001 :  17:32:40  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
Thanks for the graphic! Was too lazy to open Image Ready and do it myself

quote:
You see, in a previous life, the active_chatters.asp page in the zip was actice_users3.asp.

I noticed that actually. It was especially apparent in the part that collapses the MOD. If you click the minus both Active Users and the Online Chatters collapse

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Martha2Mary

New Zealand
250 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2001 :  20:59:49  Show Profile  Visit Martha2Mary's Homepage  Send Martha2Mary an AOL message  Send Martha2Mary an ICQ Message  Send Martha2Mary a Yahoo! Message
ROTFL - I told you I didn't know much about asp

I have updated the .zip in the first post so that the Hide/Show Option works for *just* the Online Chatters Cat!

:)

Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2001 :  21:15:17  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
For not knowing much about ASP, you did a fine job. I hadn't made the change myself yet because I sort of liked the way both MODs collapsed together because they are so closely related.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

enkabe
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2001 :  11:25:11  Show Profile
For Conquerchat users:
Well the good news is. Martha2Mary's solution inspired me to do the following.

I renamed default.asp to chat.asp . In chat.asp right under
<!-- #include file="constants.inc" -->

I've put this piece of code.

========

<!--#INCLUDE FILE="config.asp" -->
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_functions.asp" -->
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="inc_top.asp" -->
<%
if strDBNTUserName = "" then
doNotLoggedInForm
end if
if strDBNTUserName <> "" then
username = strDBNTUserName
end if
%>

========

Users have to login befor they are allowed to chat.

The bad news is, It is still showing (0) users in the chat room.

But I'm half way there, I will look into it later.

Go to Top of Page

Al_Rock
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2001 :  23:52:15  Show Profile
I was reading this post, and went looking for some other good java solutions (because I didn't really want to see the 'unregistered' all over the jpilot one).

Anyways...I found a free one that isn't too bad. It uses their server (which IMHO can be good and bad...I like not taking the resource hit, but if they ever go pay-based or server down..I'm in trouble)

http://www.quickchat.org/ <--- you can go through and reg and be able to connect to their IRC server and have your own channel...also allows you to register and protect your channel like most (undernet, dalnet) irc servers allow you to.

So far it works ok, and you can pass the login name automatically to the applet...and remove all the advertising code w/o any ill effects.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2001 :  22:45:46  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
I found one thing. Add this right above the line that says ' End WHOS Online SCRIPT

rsChatters.Close
Set rsChatters = Nothing

' END WHOS ONLINE SCRIPT

this goes along with the closing of all the recordsets for the Who's Online code. If that's not there i recommend you add it too. Should look like this when complete:

rsWho.close
set rsWho = nothing
rsOnline.close
set rsOnline = nothing
rsChatters.Close
Set rsChatters = Nothing

' END WHOS ONLINE SCRIPT

@tomic

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07