New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 01 August 2001 :  11:36:20  Show Profile
well, I might still be the only one wanting this....usergroups.

But I found a opensourcescript, that could be implemented with the existing Snitz DB. I´ve been trying to mess around with the code, but my ASP is not good enough (huh!). Maybe someone can help me? here are the features of the usergroup system:

EmplDir is a basic, yet fully functional Employee Directory that you may use as a framework to create an expanded system or use 'as is'.
It is great online system for small companies.

Features include:
- Front page picture of the "Employee of the Month"
- Search by Name
- Search by Department
- Search by Email
- Sorting by any of the columns (Name, Title, Department, Work Phone, Email)
- Administration of Members
- Administration of Departments

And here is the link to the zip and the info:http://www.gotocode.com/apps.asp?app_id=6

and to the demo:http://www.gotocode.com/apps/empldir/asp/

This file is used as an example of CodeCharge...I´ve only been playing around with it for ˝ hour, but it seems cool in generating all sorts of code...check it out:
www.CodeCharge.com

maybe later on, the emp_dir could be used in the allowed memberlistMOD and or in the general check of memberacces?
Morpheus73 - morpheus73@hotmail.com

Edited by - morpheus73 on 01 August 2001 11:38:30

davemaxwell
Access 2000 Support Moderator

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 01 August 2001 :  12:08:30  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
Gotta give you credit Morph...you're nothing if not persistent

Seriously, I am starting to look at this type of functionality because I need it for a site design I'm working on, so I thought I'd look at incorporating it into Snitz.

Since it is such a major undertaking (it'll affect EVERY page in the system), I'm looking at a goal of after Internationalization and CSS support. I'm going to be taking my time to try and do it right the first time, so any ideas you may have on the subject, please let me know.

Dave Maxwell
--------------
Proud to be a "World Class" Knucklehead
Go to Top of Page

Kal Corp
Average Member

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 01 August 2001 :  13:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Kal Corp's Homepage
dave lets talk maybe i can help?

Go to Top of Page

e3stone
Average Member

USA
885 Posts

Posted - 01 August 2001 :  15:44:02  Show Profile  Send e3stone an AOL message
Morpheus:

I realize that you've mentioned the features of usergroups before, but could you explain exactly what they would be for? I would search for your previous explinations, but I'm a little strapped for time today. I'd be willing to look into coding this, but I'd need a list of all the features that you'd want.

<-- Eric -->

InsideWaco.com
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 01 August 2001 :  16:19:38  Show Profile
Well, since nobody else seemed interrested in this, I´ve scaled down my expectations to the mod ... but if u guys want to undertake the BIG TASK (which I would consider terrific!), then here are some of the basic features it should implement:

- Admin/moderators can make/delete/edit different usergroups.
- usergroups should be grouped in toplevel/sublevel/sub-sublevel groups (talk to Kal Corp - he might be able to help you out here)
- Admin/moderators should be able to validate a user before he/she is accepted in the usergroup

- users should be able to belong to several usergroups.
- users should should apply for "closed" usergroups and then be validated by admin/moderator.

Possibilities:

Forum: admin/moderators can add/move whole groups of users at once to allowed memberlist.
when users search for other users, they can search in the independant usergroups e.g. if users wants only to list the members of DEV team.
Email notifications of replys/calendar etc can be posted to different usergroups instead of userlevel and etc.

finally you could also implement the usergroups as security in general. so that a forum can be open to usergroupmembers only.

basically it would mean a whole new depth in the useradministration of snitz.

mph73

Morpheus73 - morpheus73@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell
Access 2000 Support Moderator

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2001 :  07:20:11  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
Morph hit a good chunk of it, but there is even more to it. This type of functionality would replace the user level system we have in place now. All security would be handled through group operations. You could specify forum access (read, post, reply, edit, delete, moderate, subscribe), member access (update, promote, assign to groups, ban, etc), admin access (email, forum/category maintenance, colors, features, etc). Add some of the mods like calendars, PM, etc and you've increased the capabilities endlessly...

Every person could belong to one or more groups, so you would need to be able to select the highest level of security for a group. It would need to be flexible enough to allow you to add new features seamlessly without a major rewrite each time. That's the tricky part. I could write a group based security system now for the current Snitz, but allowing for flexibility is the trick....

Dave Maxwell
--------------
Proud to be a "World Class" Knucklehead
Go to Top of Page

simonduz

161 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2001 :  10:28:26  Show Profile  Visit simonduz's Homepage  Send simonduz an ICQ Message  Send simonduz a Yahoo! Message
Sounds alot like NT security. Correct..?
It's functionality would be the same as assigning users to groups, and groups to other groups with assigned permissions.
My only question would be how is this going to affect NT authorization since it would be a Snitz base user group? Would this be eliminated?

http://easyromantic.webbhost.net -[test site]-
yada, yada.
Go to Top of Page

Kal Corp
Average Member

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2001 :  14:07:10  Show Profile  Visit Kal Corp's Homepage
We would have to include the NT Group in this some how. Should not be hard

Go to Top of Page

Dan Martin
Average Member

USA
528 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2001 :  16:58:00  Show Profile  Visit Dan Martin's Homepage  Send Dan Martin an AOL message  Send Dan Martin an ICQ Message  Send Dan Martin a Yahoo! Message
I see it this way:
1) Create a simple table which lists all the groups, hypothetically "GROUPS", to control the list of groups.

2) Create a table, hypothetically "GROUPS_USERS" with 2 fields, UserID, and Group. One record per UserID & Group combination. If UserID "21" is part of the "Secretaries" and "Employees" groups, there are two records for UserID "21".

3) Create a table, hypothetically "RESOURCES" to control the list of resources. I'm defining a resource as anything that can require someone to be a member of a group in order to access/display. This would include each forum, specific pages(like the admin page), etc.

3) Create a table, hypothetically "GROUPS_RESOURCES". One record per Group & Resource combination. If Resource "Forum+14" allows "Secretaries" and "Manager" groups, there is two records with "Forum+14" as the Group.

4) Create a function, hypothetically resourceValidate() which expects arguments of UserID and Resource. If that UserID and Resource both have the same Group entry in their corresponding tables, it returns true, else false.

5) Create an admin page that allows you to create and delete groups, as well as assign which groups are allowed to access which resources.

6) Create an admin page that allows you to assign groups, as many as necessary, to a list of resources.

7) Modify the rest of Snitz, where group security is desired. For each place you assign a new name to a resource, you need to add that to the page created in step 6.

But again, that's the way I see it. Meaning it's probably the way I would attack it if I started today. I'm not claiming it's the right way.

You don't necessarily need to get rid of the current security set up. You could leave it the way it is, and change out things one by one that you desired to have "Group" authentication. Nothing says that someone can't be part of the "Manager" group and have an M_Level of 3.

-Dan

P.S. Why is this in the "MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)" forum?
Go to Top of Page

SPulley
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03 August 2001 :  01:47:32  Show Profile  Visit SPulley's Homepage  Send SPulley an AOL message
I want this mod, just don't have the time to do it.

I only see the need for 1 additional table not 3. Add a table called groups that hosts all the group ids, names and desriptions. Add a field to forum_users called f_groups that can have many values separated by a comma( 1,7,9) this user would be in groups 1, 7, and 9 in the the groups table. Then in the forum_forum table add a field called allowed groups or something like that. Then number off the groups that are allowed to see that forum, separated by commas(2,6,10). Our example user would not have access. Blank means all have access. Create your admin page to create groups and add users to groups. Modify the create/modify forum page to add groups to forums. Then create your function to check the groups and there you have it. This is similar to the way moderators are done.

Have fun and be good!!

Shad Pulley
shadstrains@mylargescale.com
www.mylargescale.com/forum

Edited by - spulley on 03 August 2001 01:51:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07