Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mfindlay

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 01 June 2001 :  20:40:13  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
This mod will allow your logged on members to register/unregister for email notification of calendar events. It has the following features:

Current version: 1.5
Updated to 1.5 on June 16, 2001

Screenshots: (see below)

Features:

*Admin controls turning event notification on and off from Admin panel.
*Auto emailing of events every 24 hours.
*Uses existing emailing system in use by the forum system.
*Users can register/unregister for events as often as they like.
*Users can register to receive notification 1 time or daily until the event expires.
*Links to event registration from any view of the event (daily, weekly, monthly).
*Auto-maintenance of expired events registration table. Each run of the email notifications checks for and removes expired events so members do not receive emails for expired events.
*Customizable messages (requires Admin to modify message source in code). See Customizing Defaults.
*Admin can customize the default and the max number of days in advance a member can request notification. (fixed variable in source code). See Customizing Defaults.
*Help Link provided to Admin from the Admin Functions page and the Events Notification page linking directly to this help system from within the forum code. No need to swap over and find the help system with a question etc.

Requires: Snitz Events Calendar Version: 2 service release 1 by Alan Le aka Aznknight

Download: http://www.sagecomputerservices.com/downloads/event_email_notify_mod.asp

See documentation at http://www.sagecomputerservices.com/forum/docs/events_notification_documentation.htm

1.0 Original implementation.
1.1 Fix for admin option to turn notification ON/OFF.
1.2 Fix for display of "start date" when user entered event registration page from "monthly" view.
1.3 Fixed BAD logic in the event notification inspection code in events_functions.asp! It just didn't work. To update to this version from 1.2, just replace your existing Email_notifications() function in events_functions.asp with the new one.
1.4 Added auto-emailing of events functionality.
1.5 Minor fix to MODEL_CONFIG.asp sample config file

Screenshots:

User will see this hyperlink allowing them to register to receive email notification of the event as it approaches:

User sets their notification parameters:

User receives this email notification:

Edited by - mfindlay on 23 June 2001 13:39:27

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 02 June 2001 :  00:31:05  Show Profile
This is a great little mod.. Works great. Thanks for the fix mfindlay.

Regards,

Webmaster @ Classic Motor Cycling
Classic Motor Cycling
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 02 June 2001 :  04:26:00  Show Profile
Cool features!...

I have an additional idea though. SMS update of your events...really quite simple in fact. All cellphones have an email address - usually looks like this:phonenumber@sms.telecompany.com or so. - if you made a small inc in users profile, where users gives their mobiletelephonenumber and chooses from a list of regional providers (defined in the admin panel), then this service would also make it possible to notify of events on mobiledevices.

what do you think?

mph73

Morpheus73 - morpheus73@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 02 June 2001 :  12:59:00  Show Profile
SMS is the textmessaging system that is used by cellularphones all over the world. Iīm not sure that you call it that in the US, you might have a different term for it. (asked by Mark - email)

well - would be simpler, but most users donīt know the provideraddress after the @, so the choice of regional providers set-up by admin would be easier for users to use. - also once a string has been generated that contains the users mobiledevice-phonenumber, this phonenumber could be used for all sorts of other stuff in the forums (send PM to mobile device, mobile update of post etc.)

mph73

Go to Top of Page

mfindlay

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 02 June 2001 :  13:06:43  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
quote:

SMS is the textmessaging system that is used by cellularphones all over the world. Iīm not sure that you call it that in the US, you might have a different term for it. (asked by Mark - email)

well - would be simpler, but most users donīt know the provideraddress after the @, so the choice of regional providers set-up by admin would be easier for users to use. - also once a string has been generated that contains the users mobiledevice-phonenumber, this phonenumber could be used for all sorts of other stuff in the forums (send PM to mobile device, mobile update of post etc.)

mph73

If someone can get me a listing of the common providers and their email suffixes I will incorporate it into the MOD. (i.e. for ATT wireless mine is @att.ws.net)

Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 02 June 2001 :  15:25:26  Show Profile
great here are the listings for danmark...

Orange: @sms.mobilix.dk
Sonofon: @note.sonofon.dk
Telia: @gsm1800.telia.dk
TDC Mobil: @sms.tdm.dk
Debitel: @sms.tdm.dk

Would be great if you could incoorporate these in the mod. One question though; if users from all countries send in providers, the list of providers generated would be hundred of items long. suggestion 1. let admin set the country/region or let users pick coutry from a dropdown list and then provider from another?

mph73

Go to Top of Page

StiH
Starting Member

Slovenia
15 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  07:05:50  Show Profile  Visit StiH's Homepage  Send StiH an ICQ Message
Hmmm.. I believe that anyone who knows that SMS can be sent over Internet knows the e-mail address needed for his/hers GSM provider and should just enter it in his profile. No use putting hundreds of providers into database and confusing users that don't know what it means in the first place...

Just my 2 cents...

Have a nice day!
StiH
Go to Top of Page

didus
Starting Member

Austria
36 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  08:18:30  Show Profile  Visit didus's Homepage
hi, great thing, this mod.
but it doesnīt work correctly. Everytime when I do the "click here to run the events email notification now!" I get the following message: "success (0 emails sent)" ,even many events with email notifies are in the db.
Where is the problem.
Can you help me.
Great thanks.
Bye
Michael

Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  08:47:19  Show Profile
quote:

Hmmm.. I believe that anyone who knows that SMS can be sent over Internet knows the e-mail address needed for his/hers GSM provider and should just enter it in his profile.

Well, that is exactly my point for admin to set up providers; most users DONīT know their mobile devices phonenumber. - So for all boards not intended for tecnical knowledgeable people, letting choose provider and only type in mobilephonenumber would be a great service. I see your point of putting hundreds of providers in the DB...thats why I suggest a dropdownbox where users can choose between only the providers set by admin.

mph73

Go to Top of Page

mfindlay

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  11:14:35  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
quote:

Hmmm.. I believe that anyone who knows that SMS can be sent over Internet knows the e-mail address needed for his/hers GSM provider and should just enter it in his profile. No use putting hundreds of providers into database and confusing users that don't know what it means in the first place...

Just my 2 cents...

Have a nice day!
StiH

True, but this would mean that all emails sent by the system would go to the user's pager. I think the simplest (least maintenance :) approach would be to add a user's pager email to the member profile and to provide a checkbox on the event registration to allow them to also be notified by pager.

Go to Top of Page

mfindlay

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  11:20:00  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
quote:

but it doesnīt work correctly. Everytime when I do the "click here to run the events email notification now!" I get the following message: "success (0 emails sent)" ,even many events with email notifies are in the db.
Where is the problem.
Can you help me.
Great thanks.
Bye
Michael

Check the following:

1) Make sure event notification is turned on by going to the Admin panel provided and selecting the "ON" radio button.

2) After turning the mod on, you MUST then run the "Check Installation" option from the main Admin panel in order to load the new option setting into the system.

When the event notification is run, it checks to make sure that the option is turned on and returns immediately if not.

If all of these things are already set, then check the advance number of days the user has set to receive notification. It may be that the events are still far enough in the future that the first notification is not yet to be sent.

Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  14:15:17  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
nice mod to the events calendar mfindlay . I gotta remember to add it to the events calendar if i have time to work on version 3.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
www.calvsa.net
Snitz Resource
Go to Top of Page

GBurch

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  16:34:01  Show Profile
quote:

Orange: @sms.mobilix.dk
Sonofon: @note.sonofon.dk
Telia: @gsm1800.telia.dk
TDC Mobil: @sms.tdm.dk
Debitel: @sms.tdm.dk

Do you know where I can get these for UK Mobile Networks?

http://www.captgb.dabsol.co.uk
http://www.slipstreamservices.com

Edited by - GBurch on 04 June 2001 16:34:50
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2001 :  17:03:13  Show Profile
I am seeing the same issue. I have followed the steps and the thing I get back is Success (0 emails sent). Any ideas?

Could it be the mail component I am using? I have tried it with JMail, CDONTS and now with ASPEMail, all with the same result.

quote:

quote:

Where is the problem.
Can you help me.
Great thanks.
Bye
Michael

Check the following:

1) Make sure event notification is turned on by going to the Admin panel provided and selecting the "ON" radio button.

2) After turning the mod on, you MUST then run the "Check Installation" option from the main Admin panel in order to load the new option setting into the system.

When the event notification is run, it checks to make sure that the option is turned on and returns immediately if not.

If all of these things are already set, then check the advance number of days the user has set to receive notification. It may be that the events are still far enough in the future that the first notification is not yet to be sent.

Regards,

Webmaster @ Classic Motor Cycling
Classic Motor Cycling

Edited by - Classicmotorcycling on 04 June 2001 17:04:32
Go to Top of Page

mfindlay

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 05 June 2001 :  23:21:42  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
quote:

ps can u give us a clue what the new mod will do ?

You can check it out now. I have just posted the new mod. Look for "MOD: SuperSearch" in this forum.

Edited by - mfindlay on 08 June 2001 16:27:07
Go to Top of Page

mfindlay

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2001 :  20:37:29  Show Profile  Visit mfindlay's Homepage
New version of Events Email Notification released!

Version 1.4 is now available for download at: http://www.sagecomputerservices.com/downloads/event_email_notify_mod.asp

This new release has auto-emailing of events every 24 hours.

To upgrade from 1.3:

1) Add the 2 new files: event_autonotify.asp and run_email_notify.asp to your forum directory.
2) Replace your admin_evtnotifications.asp with the new one in the zipfile.

Edited by - mfindlay on 15 June 2001 20:46:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07