New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Flex
Starting Member

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  17:08:43  Show Profile
I did a quick scan to see if anyone else has modified the Seach Forum drop down bax to display both the Forum Category and the Forum Name, I didn't see anything, so I made the following MOD to the SEARCH.ASP

'## Forum_SQL
strSql = "SELECT " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.FORUM_ID, " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.F_SUBJECT, " & strTablePrefix & "CATEGORY.CAT_NAME "
strSql = strSql & " FROM (" & strTablePrefix & "FORUM LEFT JOIN " & strTablePrefix & "CATEGORY "
strSql = strSql & " ON " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.CAT_ID = " & strTablePrefix & "CATEGORY.CAT_ID) "
set rs = my_Conn.execute (strSql)

The only problem I have is with the <META> tag, the page seems to want to REFRESH and go back to the previous page (as per the META Tag), I deleted the META tage, and the drop down box workds like a charm.

Any ideas on why the META tag now wants to do a page refresh? any harm in removing it?

Thanks

Chris Lang

camusflage
Starting Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  18:40:34  Show Profile
quote:

I did a quick scan to see if anyone else has modified the Seach Forum drop down

You mean like the mod I posted on 5/28? :)

Here's my MODded code. I didn't run into any probs with the meta tag. The only meta tag I have on my search page is a copyright notice. Of course, all I did was return a concatenated field, separated by a hyphen, as CATANDFOR, sort by category then forum name, and use CATANDFOR for the select data. Of course, I didn't check it on Access, so YMMV.

Mike

<% 'SORTED SEARCH MOD BEGIN
'## Modified to display Category and Forum in select box

strSql = "SELECT " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.FORUM_ID, " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.F_SUBJECT, "
strsql = strsql & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.F_SUBJECT, (" & strTablePrefix & "Category.CAT_NAME + ' - ' + "
strsql = strsql & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.F_SUBJECT) as CATANDFOR FROM " & strTablePrefix
strsql = strsql & "FORUM INNER JOIN " & strTablePrefix & "Category on " & strTablePrefix
strsql = strsql & "Category.CAT_ID = " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.CAT_ID order by CAT_NAME, F_SUBJECT"

set rs = my_Conn.execute (strSql)

On Error Resume Next

do until rs.EOF
if ChkForumAccess(rs("FORUM_ID")) then
Response.Write " <option value=""" & rs("FORUM_ID") & """>" & ChkString(left(rs("CATANDFOR"), 50),"display") & "</option>" & vbCrLf
'SORTED SEARCH MOD END

Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  19:04:10  Show Profile
quote:

LOL!! Oh yeah?! Like I posted on....

You can do a similiar thing for the drop down list of forums when editing a topic.

I had posted this back in March and now it's sitting in the archives.

--The Writer Community

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Flex
Starting Member

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  19:33:09  Show Profile
quote:

Mike,
I never saw your MOD, anyways... The META tag I was refering to was the original META tag from the SEARCH.ASP
<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="2; URL=JavaScript:history.go(-1)">

I take it from what you mentioned, that you have also removed the REFRESH portion of the META tag.

Chris

Go to Top of Page

camusflage
Starting Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  19:57:17  Show Profile
quote:

I take it from what you mentioned, that you have also removed the REFRESH portion of the META tag.

Interesting. I never had that meta tag in mine. Were you getting it from search.asp, or an included page? I started from Snitz_Forums_2000_V3_1_SR4.zip, and checked my sourcesafe history. It shows the only change to the file being my modification, and no mention of meta tags.

I think though, I found what's up with yours. Are you modifying the display in the Request.QueryString("mode") = "DoIt" section (the search results), or the else section (the search page). I left the results page alone. instead only modifying the select box on the search page. I'll try modifying the results page, and see if I get the same behavior as you are.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

camusflage
Starting Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  20:31:16  Show Profile
quote:

LOL!! Oh yeah?! Like I posted on....

Heh. Dang. Only now do I go and look at the rest of the thread, after updating what I did.

http://www11.ewebcity.com/webdvlpr/catandforsearch.asp

BTW, I handle it differently in each case.. search gets it in a new sql concatenated field, search results gets the CAT_NAME, and ASP prepends it.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

Flex
Starting Member

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  20:40:49  Show Profile
quote:

Heh. Dang. Only now do I go and look at the rest of the thread, after updating what I did.

http://www11.ewebcity.com/webdvlpr/catandforsearch.asp

BTW, I handle it differently in each case.. search gets it in a new sql concatenated field, search results gets the CAT_NAME, and ASP prepends it.

Mike

Mike,

I only modified the forum dropdown box in the SEARCH.ASP page (both the SQL call and the dropdown box display). The META tag I am refering to was also from the SEARCH.ASP page. I did a few tests after removing the META tag, and nothing seems effected.

Chris

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07