Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  10:02:28  Show Profile
pager: my plan
current version if you turn on the pager and auto refresh it, it will come to the front often, which is a little bit annoying.
my plan
add a field like pager_status 0/1 1=on
on every page e.g. inc_top.asp and other pages outside the forum add a check for pager_status,
if it's on, do the pm check and pop up like what already exists.
for the pager, it have 3 options
1. turn on check on every page (if you keep naviating around the site)
2. turn off option (and close the pager page)
3. show the pager as the current one, set refresh interval manually (need to add no refresh and include the buddy mod option to show all online members or buddy only (maybe with total online number))
4. set refresh interval and open a small (tiny) widow, without bars, out of the screen, any way possible to keep it refresh but don't bothering the user if there's no new PMs.

It's easy to do but I'm not a programmer and it will take me more time and get buggy code to work on it. Any one like the idea and make it?

Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  11:53:53  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
Those are good ideas. The pager coming to the top at refresh was annoying and i set my refresh at a minute or more to minimize that problem.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  13:28:38  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

Those are good ideas. The pager coming to the top at refresh was annoying and i set my refresh at a minute or more to minimize that problem.

@tomic

it doesn't have to try to stay on top. Here's a tip, don't use the inc_top_short.asp. It will try to set the foucs of the pager as it does any other pop up page. Create your own top and in the body statement, don't set the ONLOAD="setFocus()" in the body statement. This will leave the pager in the background when it refreshes.

Another thing to do is add a link for "Refresh Now". where they can just click it to refresh. Displaying when the pager was last refreshed would be another good thing to do. For other ideas and implementation, check out the pager system for iamviet. you have to logon to see and use it though.

Sorry for letting you guys re-invent the well, but i can't release my pager code. You'll doing pretty good mvaughn.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
www.calvsa.net
Snitz Resource
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  13:50:32  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
quote:
Another thing to do is add a link for "Refresh Now". where they can just click it to refresh. Displaying when the pager was last refreshed would be another good thing to do

Excellent ideas!

I also just thought of another thing: A link to "report to admin" in case of harrassment.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

mvaughn
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  16:59:38  Show Profile  Visit mvaughn's Homepage  Send mvaughn an ICQ Message
I fixed the annoying popup feature of the pager on the demo site. When it refreshes now it doesn't try to get the focus.

I haven't updated the zip file with the changes yet. If you want to make this alteration all you need to do it edit the inc_top_pm.asp file and remove onLoad="window.focus()" from the body tag.

Thanks Alan for the suggestion.

-Mark-

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  17:35:30  Show Profile
We integrated a dynamic flashbased messenger that works with buddies mod and PMs. It is Neil from BuffyNet who has done the flashfile+aspstrings...still in alpha version though...but it works...check it out over at Tschive´s portalversion

http://heilpaedagogik.121host.net/portal/

mph73

Morpheus73 - morpheus73@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  17:54:06  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
I love that Flash chat, but have you had any feedback from mac users? I had to pull it because they found it unusable.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

mvaughn
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  19:21:35  Show Profile  Visit mvaughn's Homepage  Send mvaughn an ICQ Message
looks promising... great work!

I didn't have a whole lot of time to check it out. At a glance I didn't see how the chat function ties in with buddies and the PM mod.

-Mark-

stuF
Average Member

United Kingdom
561 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  21:01:49  Show Profile  Visit stuF's Homepage
http://www.36-degrees.co.uk/cgi-bin/chatroom.asp
im hoping i can get this chat app used as a member chat on my forum..its free, and cool!

Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  21:35:01  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
I installed this too, but there is no way my webhost would allow me to keep it considering the drain on the server. Also, mac users have some problems with it. It's a shame, because overall it's the best I have seen.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

big9erfan
Average Member

540 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  22:45:55  Show Profile
is there ANY way I can get that WONDERFUL flash chat code?

http://www.ugfl.net/forums
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2001 :  00:55:57  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
http://www.pipey.ndirect.co.uk

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

digiprojex
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2001 :  01:04:38  Show Profile
Hi there

I would like to know if there is any way to integrate buddy_inc.asp with the pager pop-up, so as to see which of my buddies are online?

Thanx

Pieter

Go to Top of Page

big9erfan
Average Member

540 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2001 :  01:26:19  Show Profile
Thanks atomic!

http://www.ugfl.net/forums
Go to Top of Page

mvaughn
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2001 :  04:13:24  Show Profile  Visit mvaughn's Homepage  Send mvaughn an ICQ Message
quote:

pager: my plan
current version if you turn on the pager and auto refresh it, it will come to the front often, which is a little bit annoying.
my plan
add a field like pager_status 0/1 1=on
on every page e.g. inc_top.asp and other pages outside the forum add a check for pager_status,
if it's on, do the pm check and pop up like what already exists.
for the pager, it have 3 options
1. turn on check on every page (if you keep naviating around the site)
2. turn off option (and close the pager page)
3. show the pager as the current one, set refresh interval manually (need to add no refresh and include the buddy mod option to show all online members or buddy only (maybe with total online number))
4. set refresh interval and open a small (tiny) widow, without bars, out of the screen, any way possible to keep it refresh but don't bothering the user if there's no new PMs.

It's easy to do but I'm not a programmer and it will take me more time and get buggy code to work on it. Any one like the idea and make it?

I think options 3 and 4 seem pretty feasable.

I could add the buddy list to the current pager and then have an option for current Buddies, or All current users (should be a few simple if.... thens... end if's.

As far as option 4 goes i know of a way in IE to popup a window that has no borders or menu bars. I believe that this will only work in IE and will display in a normal window in Netscape.

-Mark-
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07