New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

mvaughn
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  20:54:33  Show Profile  Visit mvaughn's Homepage  Send mvaughn an ICQ Message
This mod creates a popup pager that allows users to view active users in the forum, easily send private messages, and retreive private messages.

Demo:
http://zeppo.ctc.edu

Download:

Current working demo version w/out popup tooltips.
http://www21.brinkster.com/pionzone/forummods/pager_v2.1.zip

Current working demo version w/ popup tooltips
http://www21.brinkster.com/pionzone/forummods/pager_v2.1_overlib.zip
If any of the resident experts have any tips I'd like to hear them.

Edited by - mvaughn on 29 May 2001 18:25:35

Edited by - mvaughn on 29 May 2001 23:05:21

Edited by - mvaughn on 29 May 2001 23:06:08

Edited by - mvaughn on 31 May 2001 17:36:19

Edited by - mvaughn on 11 June 2001 16:29:09

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  23:07:29  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
Wow pretty cool. Would really rock if the incoming messages popped up too so people could easily message back and forth.
But this functionality very nice.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

mvaughn
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  23:12:02  Show Profile  Visit mvaughn's Homepage  Send mvaughn an ICQ Message
Alan's iamviet.com site does a great job of popping up new messages...

Alan will you give us a head start by letting us know how you popup new PM's?

Go to Top of Page

big9erfan
Average Member

540 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  23:14:28  Show Profile
it's similar to the code that checks to see if you have NEW message for default.asp, but if there is a new PM it opens a pop up with unread PM(s). Though this can get QUITE annoying if you have 5 unread PMs and must go through 5 pop ups...

Just something to consider.

http://www.ugfl.net/forums
Go to Top of Page

mvaughn
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  23:21:19  Show Profile  Visit mvaughn's Homepage  Send mvaughn an ICQ Message
One idea would be to put a checkbox or an option button on the pager to enable/disable the PM popups

Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  23:42:19  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
Yes I saw his popup. As soon as I saw that, I started thinking about this sort of MOD(paging) using that popup. And the very next day what does someone post! I also can't figure out why the event sound is so quiet. I can hear it but just barely.

As for multiple messages...what if it just popped up the most recent?

@tomic

Edited by - @tomic on 28 May 2001 23:43:36
Go to Top of Page

pure-rock
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  23:50:32  Show Profile
This is really cool! and very easy to setup if you already have PM and Active Users installed!!

you won't need to open up 5 popups cause you can just go back to your inbox from the origional popup the pager is just really there to tell you how many you have.

Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  00:18:49  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

Alan's iamviet.com site does a great job of popping up new messages...

Alan will you give us a head start by letting us know how you popup new PM's?

He's how I did the pop up pm's. Hope this helps.

if strDBType = "access" then
strSqL = "SELECT count(M_TO) as [pmcount] "
else
strSqL = "SELECT count(M_TO) as pmcount "
end if
strSql = strSql & " FROM " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS , " & strTablePrefix & "PM "
strSql = strSql & " WHERE " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_NAME = '" & strDBNTUserName & "'"
strSql = strSql & " AND " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID = " & strTablePrefix & "PM.M_TO "
strSql = strSql & " AND " & strTablePrefix & "PM.M_READ = 0 "

Set rsPM = my_Conn.Execute(strSql)

pmcount = rsPM("pmcount")
if pmcount > 0 and pmcount < 3 then %>
<script language=javascript>window.open('pop_pm.asp','_blank','width=400,height=450,scrollbars=yes')</script>
<%
end if

rsPM.close
set rsPM = nothing

Notice that it only pops up when the use have 1-3 pm's.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
www.calvsa.net
Snitz Resource

Edited by - aznknight on 29 May 2001 00:21:58
Go to Top of Page

tomasalsbro
Average Member

Sweden
818 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  02:39:28  Show Profile  Visit tomasalsbro's Homepage
Alan,
where do I put the code? -In what file and in which position?
Tomas Alsbro

!-Keep distance in traffic-!
www.whiplash.pp.se
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  12:13:35  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
Looks like it would go in privatemess.asp

However, if you just use this code you will get a 404 unless you have a pop_pm.asp to display the PM

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  12:29:46  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

However, if you just use this code you will get a 404 unless you have a pop_pm.asp to display the PM.

That is true, I posted the code for mvaughn to implement on his mod. It seems like he has a pop_pm as well so could just it.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
www.calvsa.net
Snitz Resource
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  14:32:28  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
It would be cool if, when the incoming message popped up, a box to enter a reply was right there in the incoming message to save a step. Then after it was sent the message stayed there and refreshed at set intervals if someone wanted to wait for a reply to their reply and so on. Then a person could save the entire chat session or delete all messages in the session with one click.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

mvaughn
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  16:13:54  Show Profile  Visit mvaughn's Homepage  Send mvaughn an ICQ Message
I've been working on the popup new messages and I think I have it working... It's hard to test when brinkster goes up and down every 30 seconds.

If you can reach the demo page in my first post and send a pm to yourself the Pager should popop the message.

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  16:29:14  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
Shoot, trying to test it, but something very bad is happening over there. I kept getting Internal Server Error 500 and

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

Cannot open database ''. It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

/pionzone/forum/inc_top_pm.asp, line 47

Go to Top of Page

mvaughn
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  16:29:15  Show Profile  Visit mvaughn's Homepage  Send mvaughn an ICQ Message
I have updated the pager.zip file to include on new file...

all you need to do is replace the old pager files with the new ones.

It will only popup 3 private messages at a time. (until the pager window refreshes, then it will popup 3 more)

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  16:41:27  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
I finally got it to load but this error appeared in the pager window:
error '80020009'
Exception occurred.

/pionzone/forum/pm_pop_pager.asp, line 165

This happened after I successfully sent myself. When the pager refreshed, the PM popped up but where the number of new messages should be was where the above error message was.

How hard would it be to make the reply to work the same as the pm_pop_send.asp instead of bringing up the entire web page?

Things are looking really good though!

@tomic

Edited by - @tomic on 29 May 2001 16:49:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07