Disable R mouse click
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ribkick

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  20:45:33  Show Profile
I have a simple JS to disable right mouse clicks to discourage code pirates but don't know which file and where in the file to place it. Have tried various locations in default.asp but it either does nothing or I get a DB error.

On the flip side, is there another script someone is using that may work better?

Any help would be appreciated.

big9erfan
Average Member

540 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  21:50:22  Show Profile
put it in inc_top with the other scripts.

http://www.ugfl.net/forums
Go to Top of Page

Ribkick

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  09:07:20  Show Profile
Thanks big9 but that didn't work either. I must be missing something here. This is script I'm trying to impliment:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="javascript">

function click() {
if (event.button==2) {
alert('Sorry, this function is disabled.')
}
}
document.onMouseDown=click
</SCRIPT>

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  10:24:25  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
When you apply this let me know... and send me to your web site and I'll grab a image off it... Then I'll tell you how to get around that script.

Rick

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.
Go to Top of Page

big9erfan
Average Member

540 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  11:20:44  Show Profile
It's QUITE easy to get around the R click block script, it's just a view source and looking for text near the image you want to jack.

You'll never prevent anyone from taking one of your pictures if they REALLY want it b/c they can just go looking through their cache as well.

http://www.ugfl.net/forums
Go to Top of Page

Ribkick

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  15:23:38  Show Profile
I already know how to get around it, I'm trying to discourage the neophite from stealing code we worked hard at implementing. As far as pics go, they can have all they want, the important ones are already trade marked by us.

Anyway, back to the original question. Is there no way to make this work?

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  15:49:19  Show Profile
If someone wants to look at your code all they will need to do is to use "Save As" from their file menu in their browser and then view the saved file.
Go to Top of Page

SniperDude
Starting Member

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  16:06:40  Show Profile  Visit SniperDude's Homepage  Send SniperDude an ICQ Message
here is something I did for someone else...

I used the same code (but this fix will only work in IE I think.. I dont use netscrap here...

but I opened a new Window using javascript, and placed the right click script into that code... once the window was open (with no tool bar to access or rightclick, it made it more difficult to copy the code... however.. it also is more difficult to go back and forth thru the site... I would have to look for the site info if you want a link.. I did this ages ago as far as technology is concerened

*Graphics Withheld for Adminstrative reasons*
-Tim
System Admin
Go to Top of Page

BuffyNET

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  18:29:57  Show Profile  Visit BuffyNET's Homepage  Send BuffyNET an ICQ Message
Still won't work, all you would have to do is click in the window somewhere and press your menu key on the keyboard (mine is next to the right hand Ctrl key) that has all the menu options including view source

Neil
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  18:39:18  Show Profile
In inc_top.asp there is already some Javascript there. Just put your javascript function along with the others. It should look like this:
<script language="JavaScript">
<!-- hide from JavaScript-challenged browsers
function openWindow(url) {
popupWin = window.open(url,'new_page','width=400,height=400')
}
function openWindow2(url) {
popupWin = window.open(url,'new_page','width=400,height=450')
}
function openWindow3(url) {
popupWin = window.open(url,'new_page','width=400,height=450,scrollbars=yes')
}
function openWindow4(url) {
popupWin = window.open(url,'new_page','width=400,height=525')
}
function click() {
if (event.button==2) {
}
}

// done hiding -->
</script>

Go to Top of Page

z-man
Starting Member

Netherlands
41 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  18:58:02  Show Profile
You always can turn off scripting in the security tab of IE. Very simple but effective.

But why should you 'protect' your pages? Content that counts. When people know where it is from they will go there. Why don't share it. That is what is happening here in this Snitz forum. Maybe I am living in a fantasy world with open source and freedom of information. Pictures designed by people are the intellectual property of the designers. It is fair to thank those people when you use those pictures. But I personally think reuse is a huge advantage and it is done not enough.

Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  21:32:23  Show Profile
Ribkick,

Try adding this to you inc_top.asp just under the body tag;

<script language="JavaScript">
function click() {
if ((event.button==2) || (event.button==3)) {
alert('Permission not Granted');}}
document.onmousedown=click
// -->
</script>

This work for me and no one can right click, but it still will not stop others from going to View/Source from the top of your browser. This I would say could be done by Casscading Style Sheet files if you want to basically rebuild the entire forum to run of CSS's. I have put my forums into a frame, which makes it a bit more annoying to get the code.

I hope that helps..

quote:

Thanks big9 but that didn't work either. I must be missing something here. This is script I'm trying to impliment:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="javascript">

function click() {
if (event.button==2) {
}
}
</SCRIPT>

Regards,

Webmaster @ Classic Motor Cycling
Classic Motor Cycling
Go to Top of Page

Ribkick

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  22:19:44  Show Profile
Clasicmotorcycle, That worked perfectly! Just what I was trying to do. Thank you very much for your response here. BTW, I ride HD's and have all my life from 15. I've got my eye on a '40 knucklehead right now to restore. Would love to get my hands on a 441 Victor. Thanks again, Ribkick.

quote:
You always can turn off scripting in the security tab of IE. Very simple but effective.

How is this done? I use CompuServe as my browser but in searches IE defaults. I'd like to know how you turn this feature on that would effect all visitors. Thanks!

quote:
But why should you 'protect' your pages? Content that counts. When people know where it is from they will go there. Why don't share it. That is what is happening here in this Snitz forum. Maybe I am living in a fantasy world with open source and freedom of information. Pictures designed by people are the intellectual property of the designers. It is fair to thank those people when you use those pictures. But I personally think reuse is a huge advantage and it is done not enough.

I agree that sharing is a wonderful thing and will if anybody, anybody, asks but I would like to be asked first. As far as pics go, many artists (and I don't use the term loosly) spend many hours learning a graphic program, apply their ideas and artictic talents to create a beautiful picture. I would no more borrow one of their works without their permission than I would borrow your car. They created it, they deserve more than a thank you. I pay for it's use or at least ask permission before I use any artists works. That applies, at least with me, to code. Someone worked hard learning to write it and then writing it. They deserve more than a simple thank you if I use it. I'm not one to ride on someone elses hard work.

I may have misunderstood your point, and if so I appologise. I just feel credit should go to those that do the work.

Go to Top of Page

z-man
Starting Member

Netherlands
41 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  01:04:00  Show Profile
quote:

I agree that sharing is a wonderful thing and will if anybody, anybody, asks but I would like to be asked first. As far as pics go, many artists (and I don't use the term loosly) spend many hours learning a graphic program, apply their ideas and artictic talents to create a beautiful picture. I would no more borrow one of their works without their permission than I would borrow your car. They created it, they deserve more than a thank you. I pay for it's use or at least ask permission before I use any artists works. That applies, at least with me, to code. Someone worked hard learning to write it and then writing it. They deserve more than a simple thank you if I use it. I'm not one to ride on someone elses hard work.

I may have misunderstood your point, and if so I appologise. I just feel credit should go to those that do the work.

I agree, I spent hours and hours to learn how Photoshop works and to program in C, ASP or what ever language or tool. But the result is sometimes so beautiful that it would be so cool to share it with others. They may use the the result after permission of the intellectual owner. But I think we are on one line mostly, but the we see the little details a bit different. Thank you for your reaction.

Go to Top of Page

Ribkick

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  20:54:10  Show Profile
Z, thanks man. I think we're on the same page too. Good luck in your future ventures and do share with us as we will with you.

Go to Top of Page

e3stone
Average Member

USA
885 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  22:21:51  Show Profile  Send e3stone an AOL message
I don't know if this will work or not, but couldn't you just put your site in frames (ok, don't scream about frames just yet ) with the top frame being 1 pixel, and the bottom frame being the rest of the page. then use your disable right-click script. they wouldn't be able to view source, then. They could still just save the page, but this would definitely deter some beginners and of course people who don't realize they can save the whole page.

when they viewsource, they just see something like

<frameset cols="137,855*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0" rows="*">
<frame name="leftFrame" noresize scrolling="NO" src="menu.htm">
<frame name="mainFrame" src="Homepage.htm">
</frameset>

---- Nevermind, they can just view that source, then go to homepage.htm and view source. oh well, I don't really care if people look at my code.
<-- Eric -->

http://insidewaco.com/forum/home.asp

Edited by - e3stone on 30 May 2001 22:24:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07