Snitz Forums 2000
Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Memory Lane

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!
Before posting, make sure you have read this topic!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jezmeister Posted - 01 December 2018 : 20:12:56
Well hello, strangers! I see Huw's still kicking around but are there any other of you old folks from the dialup days lurking? I'm both amazed and impressed that this is still going all things considered. The age of the forum, socially, has been crucified by twitter and facebook and companies are happy to pay so a free forum... it was the best back then though.

Anyway, I stumbled upon a game I started developing about 15 years ago and thought I'd try it out again, do a bit more work... it took me a while figure out that I couldn't launch it because I was calling the old config and inc_header from a now non-existant forum as I'd built the game out of the forum. I suppose developers these days will never start from the same point of having a community and building from it the way we used to, or if they do it'll be a team of slapped heads instead of just one!

As a slight aside I'm particularly interested if anyone's kept in touch with Marcel(G), in a leavers sort of way. I used to moderate on his site back in the day and he on mine, but I've not heard from him in a long time and this was before our new facebook overlords so I'm at a loss.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jezmeister Posted - 04 April 2019 : 17:36:48
[quote]I pop in occasionally, also. I still write code almost daily, but I'm isolated. I tend to avoid the dumbing down sites, also. I prefer having sufficient space/characters in which to express myself meaningfully, and I'm not fond of Facebook and the pervasive collection/dissemination of private data. Although President Trump seems to enjoy "Twitter", it isn't always the best idea to say whatever comes to mind when you have access to those levels of classified information. Similar to Hillary's "What difference does it make?" comment regarding the murder of the Benghazi embassy staff, sometimes it's better to just keep your mouth shut/"tweet" off.[/quote=Originally posted by Carefree]

I definitely remember you too! And certainly, in high stakes politics a filter required. Some high profile individuals seem to lack this filter. All over opposition to such individuals aside.
Jezmeister Posted - 04 April 2019 : 17:19:14
I get an inappropriately warm feeling from these responses. Most of you I remember for reasons I don't. I do remember that as a kid - as I was - learning how to code I cut my teeth on Snitz and certainly learnt a lot from Huw and Doug, if I remember correctly I also learnt a lot simply by following threads by AnonJr and everyones advice in those threads. I learnt a lot then ended up in a dead end job in customer service anyway.............. ah well. I'm glad you guys still appear from time to time :)
Doug G Posted - 28 March 2019 : 23:55:36
[quote]Who remembers the old days of CB Radio ? Wonder how many HAM radio users around now days. [/quote]
Years ago I was wa0dtf. I still have my old Hammerlund HX-140 sitting proudly on a file cabinet in my office. :)
Doughnut Posted - 28 March 2019 : 17:51:53

A real shame to that just about everyone's forum has taken a good facetwitter battering, don't understand it myself because forums are far better...maybe a central list of snitz forums is needed or something like that so that people can jump from one to another that they might have an interest in? don't know the answer if there is one but it's just a thought.

I had a cb too it was a lot of fun at the time, very social at times..
Doug G Posted - 28 March 2019 : 16:48:12
[quote][quote]Who remembers the old days of CB Radio ? Wonder how many HAM radio users around now days.[/quote] I still have my old CB radio in the shed [/quote=Originally posted by HuwR]Long ago I could say WA0DTF checking in :) I still have my Hammerlund HX-140 receiver sitting proudly on top of a file cabinet in my office.
Zuel Posted - 21 March 2019 : 16:09:01
I still pop in from time to time because this forum is where my roots as a developer took off. 15 years later, I still stop by to see how things have progressed.
Carefree Posted - 08 March 2019 : 23:55:25
I had a CB, a base station, etc.; once upon a time. Most of that stuff was melted when Mount Pinatubo erupted in 91 (our house was close to the volcano).
HuwR Posted - 06 March 2019 : 15:27:28
[quote]Who remembers the old days of CB Radio ? Wonder how many HAM radio users around now days.[/quote] I still have my old CB radio in the shed
philsbbs Posted - 06 March 2019 : 03:30:30
I like many dont use facebook in fact dont even have an account. But I do agree facebook and twitter has killed forums to much. It reminds me of when I have my own bulletin board along come the internet and that put a stop to bulletin board.

Who remembers the old days of CB Radio ? Wonder how many HAM radio users around now days.
Cliff Posted - 04 March 2019 : 15:36:51
I visit a bunch, but as a non-programmer, rarely post.
This was the first forum software I ever used, it makes me happy it's still here.
HuwR Posted - 18 February 2019 : 18:57:52
Hey there, welcome back
AnonJr Posted - 17 February 2019 : 16:09:28
I haven't been around in ages... just popped in on a whim today.

My role at the hospital had changed, and coupled with burnout I'd been doing less and less programming.

I quit the hospital about a year ago and went on sabbatical. Haven't done much programming until recently. Even then, I've been doing more with static site generators than anything else. Hopefully I'll be launching some podcasts in the next few months, and starting a few other things... once I can manage the energy. Burnout sucks. [:~]
Carefree Posted - 04 February 2019 : 00:05:43
I pop in occasionally, also. I still write code almost daily, but I'm isolated. I tend to avoid the dumbing down sites, also. I prefer having sufficient space/characters in which to express myself meaningfully, and I'm not fond of Facebook and the pervasive collection/dissemination of private data. Although President Trump seems to enjoy "Twitter", it isn't always the best idea to say whatever comes to mind when you have access to those levels of classified information. Similar to Hillary's "What difference does it make?" comment regarding the murder of the Benghazi embassy staff, sometimes it's better to just keep your mouth shut/"tweet" off.
Webbo Posted - 05 January 2019 : 21:46:37
I still look in occassionally from a nostalgic view

Doug G Posted - 04 December 2018 : 23:14:56
I still drop by occasionally, but it's usually pretty quiet. I fondly remember the early days with Mike/John/Gor and a couple three pages of new posts on every visit to the forum. I don't do facebook/twitter/etc either.

Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07