Snitz Forums 2000
Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)
 RSS Feed (by forum & by cat)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!
Before posting, make sure you have read this topic!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MarcelG Posted - 21 December 2004 : 16:17:43
I've been tuning the rss-feed functionality, and have come up with a RSS feed that should run on virtually all Snitz fora.
Installation ; very very very easy.

21-12-2004 ; Initial version, tested at oxle.com.
22-12-2004 ; Version 1.1, working at oxle.com.
18-01-2005 ; Version 1.2, working at oxle.com.
Functionallity
  • Creates a general RSS feed for all public fora : rss.asp
  • Creates a rss feed per cat, by using rss.asp?cat_id=xx
  • Creates a rss feed per forum, by using rss.asp?forum_id=xx
  • RSS 0.92 compliant
  • Includes RFC-822-compliant dates
  • Shows last post-author per topic

How to install:
Copy the code below, and save it as RSS.ASP
View source of RSS.ASP (login required, use user: demo, password demo if you're a guest)

The image
Create an image of your own, and save it as RSS.GIF.
Be sure to adjust lines 122 and 123 to make it fit:
xml = xml & "<width>128</width>"
xml = xml & "<height>29</height>"

The Timezone
Be sure to adjust lines 154 and 155 to select the correct timezone of your forum:
' define your timezone offset below. Examples : "+0100" for GMT+1, "EST", "GMT"
rfc822timezone = " +0100"

That's all.

Examples:
http://oxle.com/rss.asp
http://oxle.com/rss.asp?cat_id=14
http://www.scoutingkeentmoesel.nl/rss.asp (with different LCID, showing that the RFC822 formatting does work)

Enjoy. Any improvements/suggestions are very welcome!

BTW ; food for thought ; should 'views' by RSS feed be counted as a topic-view ? (so, increase viewcount ???)

Support -> this topic: http://www.oxle.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1865
Update 18-1-2005 Updated version, fixed some bugs.<
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Etymon Posted - 13 July 2009 : 22:31:56
Thanks Ian. I got it! Thank you for your contribution!
iane87 Posted - 13 July 2009 : 22:19:51
The link on our forum has been updated to not require a login. Please follow the link from my above post and you can now download the mod without an account.
Etymon Posted - 13 July 2009 : 20:27:25
Do you have a way of not requiring an account to get your MOD?
iane87 Posted - 13 July 2009 : 20:23:59
I have added some additional code to make sure the rss feeds are W3C valid. Download the code from our forum at

http://freesupport.fixonefree.com/_message_board/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=377&CAT_ID=12

http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi?url=http%3A//freesupport.fixonefree.com/rss.asp
AnonJr Posted - 19 June 2009 : 08:54:46
There's no explicit link posted, but most modern browsers will have some sort of notification in the address bar (and/or elsewhere). Most readers will automatically pick it up.

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/rssfeed.asp
web guy Posted - 19 June 2009 : 08:28:56
Thanks AnonJr,

Strange the single quote problem only occurs randomly. It will break the feed in some posts and not others. The page breaks when I view in a browser and reader. It is ok I'll just deal with it.

I couldn't find the feed for active topics.
AnonJr Posted - 17 June 2009 : 15:32:27
There is an RSS feed for the active topics list...

Not sure why you're getting the error though. Can't remember if I'm using the same MOD or not but if you look at the Eastover FD feed [link] its formatted the same, but not giving an error. Having not checked your feed, it may also be that your feed reader is fussy about what it will take - have you tried using other readers just to be sure?
web guy Posted - 17 June 2009 : 09:29:52
BTW Snitz guys, since you don't allow subscription why not add an RSS feed to this site. The search times out and it makes it difficult to surface things.
web guy Posted - 16 June 2009 : 13:11:35
Hmmm I am getting error

Feed Code Error:

<description><![CDATA[ Dear 740 Fulton:<br /><br />Anthony Gates will be out on Monday, June 15th returning Tuesday, June 16th. Patrick will fill-in to cover his shift. This is to make you aware so you // it breaks here

I don't see anything in the post that looks offensive. Anyone know what I can do to filter this condition?

Update:

I have determined it breaks on the single quote in a post...
Anyone know where to put the replace function?
NiteOwl Posted - 02 May 2009 : 14:49:27
This RSS feed mod works pretty well, but as you say, new topics display great, however existing topics only show a link to the last message and a notice that there is another message in the topic. Its been that way for a few years now.

If I had a wish request it would be for the latest message (meaning a newly posted one, not every message in every toipic dateing back to the begining of the BBS) in any topic to be displayed, weather the topiic is new or has been in existence for awhile.
mkelley Posted - 17 April 2009 : 12:15:21
Okay, I think I've done this in all the places it needs to be done -- sorry, that wasn't clear in the instructions.

And looking at the query I see I'll need to compare this in some detail with the Active.asp query, because it's pretty obvious it doesn't work properly on subsequent posts (I just tested it and even posts made yesterday don't show up today in the reader as long as they are replies to topics -- new topics DO work).

I'm surprised no one noticed this before.
MarcelG Posted - 17 April 2009 : 07:25:00
As I asked before, please change the @oxle.com part of rss.asp to your own domain.
Thanks.
mkelley Posted - 16 April 2009 : 22:30:01
Well, unless I don't understand what "publicly" means I think they are all available -- I don't prohibit anyone from reading messages on the forum whether they are members or not (you have to be a member to post, though).

Also, unless I miss my guess, the things that are being missed are not new topics but new posts on older topics -- so there may be something there that isn't picked up.

I guess I need to look more closely at the rss.asp code to see what is actually going on (but that's a lot more work than I intended when I first set this up :>).
AnonJr Posted - 16 April 2009 : 20:54:10
Are any of these new posts publicly available? I ask only because unless I missed something the RSS feed is only going to pull topics that are publicly available. Just checking all the bases.
mkelley Posted - 16 April 2009 : 17:41:51
I guess that's what I'm trying to get at -- I don't think RSS.ASP "checks" for updates until it's run, right? So as soon as the Reader opens that page it ought to "check" for updates by running that query against the database.

But if I bring up the Google Reader tomorrow, even though there have definitely been updates on my forum, it won't usually show any. It still says "no new items", even though if I go to Active.ASP I can see new ones. It's as if the active.asp is using a different query -- well, it obviously is because it's doing it via my login, whereas the RSS.ASP is just doing a general sort of public query, right?

(As an aside, there doesn't appear in Google Reader to be any way to change looking for updates any -- but, as I said, I can't see how this would make a difference if when running the rss.asp it isn't finding anything even though new things are there).

Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07