MOD Details
Title: "Email Subscription, version 3", 4 May 2001
Original Snitz version: "Snitz Forums 2000 v3.1 SR4 with Setup-Fix"
Tested on server: ChiliAsp/MySql/Linux
Tested on client: Windows98/InternetExplorer5.5
Download location: http://www.paddla.space2u.com/subscription_mod_3.zip
Author: Anders M

Brief Description
I have added an extra column on the pages default.asp and forum.asp. The column contains checkboxes. When you check a checkbox, you subscribe to the corresponding forum/topic. To unsubscribe, simply uncheck the checkbox. When someone replies to a topic or posts a new topic, the subscribers get an email which contains the text and an URL to the topic.

News Compared to Version 2

1. Topic subscription.

2. Possible to configure how many email adresses that shall be put on the "to" of each email. For example, for emailing 1000 members, we can send 10 email, each containing 100 email adresses in the "to" of the email.

New Files (compared to the original Snitz version)
admin_config_subscription.asp
pop_subscribe.asp
setup_subscription.asp

Modified Files (from to the original Snitz version)
admin_home.asp
config.asp
default.asp
forum.asp
pop_delete.asp
post_info.asp

I have marked the changes in the modified files in case you want to modify the files yourself.

Installation Instructions

1. Put the ASP files in your forum directory.

2. Log in as Admin.

3. Update the database by directing your web browser to "setup_subscription.asp" and follow the instructions.

4. That's it!

Regards,
-Anders M

Doc
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2001 :  08:14:13  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage
This is an excellent long awaited mod. Compliments to Anders M. I have installed Version 2 as I do not require subscription to Topics.

I have noticed a problem with the display of my forums. The Statistics section at the bottom of default page has changed. ie It no longer shows "New member". How can I get my original Statistics view showing "new member" and "Total Members" ?

Also, Is it possible for a NEW topic to be emailed rather than just the replies to a topic as it does at present.

Your help will be much appreciated.

http://orthotrauma.net/orthopaedics/sforums/

Max
http://orthopaedics.com
max@orthopaedics.com
Go to Top of Page

swatijain
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2001 :  16:31:50  Show Profile
Maybe its just me, but I get only errors.

I can't simply copy and paste the files, because I have other mods installed and some custom scripting. So, I have to look through the entire code for the scripts you have modified. (thanks to you, I can easily spot them-- you have marked them with the ###)

However, I can't get the page to work that way. Are you sure you have marked each and every addition/modification with the ###? I am just wondering....

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2001 :  16:12:22  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
Hi Max,

quote:
I have noticed a problem with the display of my forums. The Statistics section at the bottom of default page has changed. ie It no longer shows "New member". How can I get my original Statistics view showing "new member" and "Total Members" ?

My own page shows "please welcome our newest member". Strange that you don't have it. Have you used my default.asp, or have you modified an existing one?

I built the MOD upon "Snitz Forums 2000 v3.1 SR4 with Setup-Fix". I recently installed this Snitz version just to see how it looks. It doesn't show "total members", so it's no wonder my MOD doesn't show it either. Which Snitz version have you used earlier?

quote:
Also, Is it possible for a NEW topic to be emailed rather than just the replies to a topic as it does at present.

New topics are emailed in version 2. I missed it in version 1, but in version 2 it works.

Reagrds,

-Anders M

Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2001 :  16:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
quote:

I can't simply copy and paste the files, because I have other mods installed and some custom scripting. So, I have to look through the entire code for the scripts you have modified. (thanks to you, I can easily spot them-- you have marked them with the ###)

However, I can't get the page to work that way. Are you sure you have marked each and every addition/modification with the ###? I am just wondering....

I have marked all my additions/modifications with ###. However, I have noticed that there are some mods around that differ quite a lot from the version I used as a base (Snitz Forums 2000 v3.1 SR4 with Setup-Fix). Especially default.asp can differ quite a lot.

Do you have problems with default.asp? Any other files?

-Anders M

Go to Top of Page

swatijain
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2001 :  16:26:14  Show Profile
Default.asp and Forum.asp show errors. I didn't try postinfo.asp...figured if those two show errors, no use trying that one.

quote:

quote:

I have marked all my additions/modifications with ###. However, I have noticed that there are some mods around that differ quite a lot from the version I used as a base (Snitz Forums 2000 v3.1 SR4 with Setup-Fix). Especially default.asp can differ quite a lot.

Do you have problems with default.asp? Any other files?

-Anders M

Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2001 :  16:30:25  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
quote:
Default.asp and Forum.asp show errors.

Just as I suspected. Which Snitz version do you use? Which mods?

Go to Top of Page

Doc
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2001 :  09:21:17  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage
Hi Anders,
Thanks for your reply.

quote:
My own page shows "please welcome our newest member". Strange that you don't have it. Have you used my default.asp, or have you modified an existing one?

I am using Ver 3.1 SR4
It has a few other mods, ie file upload, private messages etc. I am not sure why the statistics section should have changed. I do not know the script well enough to make sense of it.
quote:

New topics are emailed in version 2. I missed it in version 1, but in version 2 it works.

I have added a new topic to the forum, but unfortunately only the replies to the topic were emailed, but not the original new topic.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks

Max
http://orthopaedics.com
max@orthopaedics.com
Go to Top of Page

korrupt

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2001 :  10:42:39  Show Profile  Visit korrupt's Homepage  Send korrupt an ICQ Message  Send korrupt a Yahoo! Message
I don't know if I did everything right but I got an error saying

quote:
Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e14'

Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'S_VERSION='.

/racism/admin_config_subscription.asp, line 38

Reach for What You Want
The Racism Discussion Forum
http://www.korrupted.net/racism

Edited by - korrupt on 07 May 2001 10:43:12
Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2001 :  18:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
Max: Maybe you would like to try version 4? It has many more functions than version 3. If not, send me your default.asp and I will have a look at it. Maybe I can figure something out.

-Anders M

Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2001 :  18:54:23  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
quote:
I don't know if I did everything right but I got an error saying .... <snip>

Looks like you didn't run setup_subscription.asp completely.

-Anders M

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2001 :  20:18:10  Show Profile
New version available here: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=9284
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07