Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Hi, it's been a long time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

AnonJr

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2024 :  14:42:50  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I randomly started wondering how things were going here, it's been so long...

I stopped doing any serious programming when I quit working at the hospital due to serious depression and burnout in December 2017. These days, the only programming related stuff I do is make some occasional Minecraft resource packs, and manage a couple Jekyll websites. Sadly forums just aren't the draw they used to be.

I've since moved and now my day job is now repairing and refurbishing stringed instruments. I love working on guitars, but since I'm the new guy again I mostly work on keeping the company's rental fleet in order... lots of violins, violas, and cellos. And occasionally upright basses.

I'm almost recovered from a very ... interesting ... couple years. End of September 2022 I went to the local emergency room for what I thought was a bad med withdrawal since I was changing depression meds... and woke up in the Duke ICU being told I had Acute Leukemia. Short version is I very nearly died. I was so far along my left lung was starting to collapse, I had 52 brain bleeds (2 major, 50 minor), and blood factors that the ER physician didn't think could look that bad.

It's a miracle I'm here. As a man of faith, I truly believe it's a miracle. Despite the brain bleeds, none impinged on my grey matter - they had to do multiple rounds of CT just to confirm because they couldn't believe it. It was a rough road of chemo, radiation, and marrow transplant.

I've been back to work since this past October, and I feel mostly back these days. Since the transplant means my immune system is a clean slate, so I've had to go through the full immunization series again. The second series I had this past Wednesday really knocked me down, but I've only got one more to go in August. Hopefully this coming February (2 years post-transplant) things will be good enough I can get off the last anti-rejection med (which is also a low-grade oral chemo, and not fun).

Happy to be here, and just randomly though of you guys and wanted to know how things are going with you.

Edit: I was doing some live streaming on Twitch that I hope to get back to soon, and I usually post the vids later on YouTube.

Edited by - AnonJr on 19 May 2024 14:45:37

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2024 :  17:15:49  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there AnonJr,
I think we are all getting old I've had a rogh few years myself, was diagnosed with Empysema and lung cancer in 2019, had a right upper lobectomy to remove the nodules in my right lung and am now on a regular regime of CT scans. Fingers crossed there has been no recurrence in right lung and the nodules in left lung have been stable so far so no plans on more surgery at the moment. Emphysema just gets slowly worse and nothing they can really do about that as it is a progressive degenerative condition.

Coding is the only thing that keeps me going TBH, I'm currently working on updating the forum to use the latest .NET core code, it's almost done. I've also been working with an open source CMS product called Umbraco for which I have been the grateful recipient of an MVP award for the last two years.

Currently planning on retiring to the south coast of Spain as the warmth and sea air is better for my health.

Hope all goes well for you.

Cheers
Huw

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2024 :  21:07:36  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ouch, that has been rough. Very familiar with emphysema, my step-father is dealing with it now.

Glad to see things moving to .NET Core, I like that it's more properly cross-platform even if I'm not really doing any dev work these days.

South coast of Spain sounds good. How's the food?
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2024 :  07:50:56  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The food is great too

Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2024 :  12:49:22  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mmmm, sounds good. Though I'm supposed to limit sun exposure now (can trigger Graft v Host Disease in marrow transplant patients)... maybe a small place in the English countryside.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2024 :  13:25:02  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Mmmm, sounds good. Though I'm supposed to limit sun exposure now (can trigger Graft v Host Disease in marrow transplant patients)... maybe a small place in the English countryside.[/quote=Originally posted by AnonJr]

That would be fine as long as you don't mind lots of rain

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07