Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Help Groups for Snitz Forums 2000 Users
 Help: General / Classic ASP versions(v3.4.XX)
 Where has everyone gone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kerryww
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2018 :  06:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first setup A Snitz forum back around 2003. I still have the same forum running, only real change is I upgraded to a MySQL database.

The forum gets hacked from time to time. I have tried numerous times to change the site over to SMF or phpBB or WP but after a couple of days attempt at each script I soon give up. The closest I've come is getting the members table up and running was in SMF - but the rest? I gave up after about 3 days. Waste of time!

Has anyone here had any success in moving Snitz to a Linux/PHP forum?

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 02 April 2018 :  21:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately after being with Snitz for 17 years we're in the process of moving away, rather sad about the whole thing really but at the end of the day forums aren't forums without the members and visitors and people nowadays want a lot more out of a forum especially with the likes of Facebook, and php offers functionality that (imho) asp and .Net can not.
Add to that the growing use of mobiles and tablets, presenting the desktop environment on a mobile or tablet is no longer acceptable to many.

I had a look at various conversion tools out there and did not find any that worked, most being old tools that no longer work with the latest versions of the php boards. When you think about it asp reached it's end of life 6-8 years ago when php came to the fore and it became a one horse race as developers moved on to it.

We decided that if we were going to change then we'd have to put some investment in and to that end we've hired someone who's connected with the new software to do the conversion for us - after all they know their end better than I/we would ever do, so on time saving alone the cost although not cheap is justifiable.

So in answer to your question, there is no easy way round it, no working conversion scripts, and the options are either slog it out manually migrating data across, start a fresh board and hope to keep your members, or bite the bullet and source a pro

Edited by - Webbo on 02 April 2018 21:56:04
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 03 April 2018 :  08:24:04  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
and php offers functionality that (imho) asp and .Net can not.

What functionality would that be? There isn't really anything php can do that you can't do in .Net

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 03 April 2018 :  13:44:48  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the main things we needed Huw was to be able to integrate advertising software within the site, like wise Site Support or paid upgrade functions as we are heavily dependant on income to cover the running costs, neither of which I could see on the MVC version.

Also, php gives the means to drag and drop, copy and paste images, links, blog entries, etc directly into posts with the software we're moving on to, plus a host of user friendly functions which I haven't been able to find elsewhere.

I'd have quite willingly stayed with Snitz, and the MVC version but having had a good look around at all, it was a case of having to cross over to the dark side

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 03 April 2018 :  15:11:09  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Also, php gives the means to drag and drop, copy and paste images, links, blog entries, etc directly into posts with the software we're moving on to, plus a host of user friendly functions which I haven't been able to find elsewhere.
That is mostly javascript client side functionality, nothing to do with php.

you can drag and drop files/images with the .net version. access to your clipboard by way of copying and pasting stuff to/from your browser is actually a very large security issue

Go to Top of Page

kerryww
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2018 :  00:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Webbo
[br]
I'd have quite willingly stayed with Snitz, and the MVC version but having had a good look around at all, it was a case of having to cross over to the dark side

I've tried a few times to move to either PHPBB, SMF or WP Forum but failed miserably at each and every attempt. I'm going to give MVC a go now.

Deep down in my heart, I want to say a complete good-bye to anything MS. I agree, MS has it's place in this world but it's never worked well for me.

I first started with Frontpage 98 and battled with FP Extensions for many years until I finally saw the light and moved to Linux and WP and Mysql. But one forum was still stuck in Snitz and Access. I changed it to MySQL but that's as much as I could achieve.

Does anyone remember that horrible forum software run on FP extensions that came with FP98 - what a nightmare! The trouble was - I trusted Microsoft that everything would work back then. If it didn't work I thought it was my inability.

I've never had great luck in finding a perfect Windows shared host for my sites. It's like Windows hosting is just a second thought or addon to the main Linux hosting. I tried a WIN VPS - what a nightmare that was. It'd probably be OK if you forked out $100/month for something like a fancy VPS with about 10GB of Memory.

Now Classic ASP has gone the same way as FP Extensions, Frontpage, Hotmail, etc, etc and now Skype. FaceBook Messenger actually works! BTW, is .Net the next to go?

My desktops are Linux Mint, phone and tablet Android.

I offer my Kingdom (if I had one) for a way to be completely free of Microsoft. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2018 :  10:11:47  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our very first forum was a MS Frontpage creation - it lasted 3 months then Snitz came along
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 07 April 2018 :  19:50:04  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used the old wwwboard for several years. I switched hosts, and the new guy recommended Snitz. That was probably in 2000, give or take a year or two. Been using that ever since.

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4207 Posts

Posted - 16 April 2018 :  07:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br]Our very first forum was a MS Frontpage creation - it lasted 3 months then Snitz came along

Youngsters showing your age.... I wrote forum software in basic language for dial-up bulletin boards about 40 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 16 April 2018 :  09:32:43  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carefree
[br]
quote:
[br]Our very first forum was a MS Frontpage creation - it lasted 3 months then Snitz came along

Youngsters showing your age.... I wrote forum software in basic language for dial-up bulletin boards about 40 years ago.
[)8]

Go to Top of Page

Torborg

Norway
109 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2018 :  22:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Opprinnelig postet av Webbo

Same with us. We also used MS Frontpage for some months. But if you had to delete a post, you had problems. Because of MS Frontpage we used a windows server, or NT server. I looked for something better and found Snitz in january 2001.

Snitz was the best. And the new version is getting better and better and even better than before [<3] [<3]

Go to Top of Page

monachus
Starting Member

Greece
28 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2018 :  05:24:10  Show Profile  Visit monachus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have also been running a snitz forum for over a decade. Lack of support, along with lack of anti spammer mod led me to change the platform to vbulletin.

It wasn't an easy task and I had to pay a programmer to convert the database from snitz to vbulletin, but in the end it was a success.

The only thing we were not able to transfer was the signature field for each user, and the forum passwords. So I had to make an anouncement in all forums to inform all active members that they had to change their password through the "forgot my password" link in vbulletin.

This was an initial issue, but after some time I got through it and the forum works fine today.

[url=https://www.aenaos-sa.gr/]HVAC experts[/url]
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2018 :  10:57:44  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lack of support?

Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2018 :  19:57:57  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been using Snitz since I switched over after my WWWBoard days. Never, ever had a lack of support, and trust me, I sure needed it often.

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4207 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2018 :  23:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I read a web article (again, from a PHP user's perspective) some years ago that claimed Snitz had no features and no support. I'd be willing to bet that the modular forum has more features and better controls than 99%+ of any PHP forum on the web. Try it and see if you can prove me wrong. It was a lot of work, but I loved doing it. I'm always happy to improve it, but I will NOT add features with security holes to satisfy anyone's laziness,
Go to Top of Page

monachus
Starting Member

Greece
28 Posts

Posted - 12 August 2018 :  21:20:19  Show Profile  Visit monachus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, maybe "lack of support" was not the best term to use.

What I wanted to say is lack of mods, addons and features found in almost every other php forum platform.

As I wrote, I used snitz for over a decade and was satisfied with the speed and the reliability of the platform.

But i never got able to stop spammers from spamming around (there was no good plugin at that time) while on the other hand I completely stopped spammers when i turned to vbulletin platform using the stopforumspam pluggin.

Same thing with hackers. I used to get hacked a lot and I lost content in some cases due to insufficient backup policy. (my fault). I never got hacked in vbulletin.

So the term support has to do with an active community building plugins and new better versions, and not with help from HuwR

[url=https://www.aenaos-sa.gr/]HVAC experts[/url]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07