Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Check This List to See If You’re Still Vulnerable to Meltdown and Spectre
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2018 :  02:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you haven't heard about these vulnerabilities in the Intel chips that have been manufactured in the past 10 years, then you need to read up.

Following article will update you on how far reaching these recent vulnerabilities are and how to go about patching it.
This affects your Operating Systems (Windows, including servers, Linux and Mac OS), your browser (Microsoft Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari) your anti-virus (list too long to name, but all major AV's) and your devices (PC's, Mac's, cell phone, tablets).

Read following article for more details:
quote:
Security researchers revealed disastrous flaws in processors manufactured by Intel and other companies this week. The vulnerabilities, which were discovered by Google’s Project Zero and nicknamed Meltdown and Spectre, can cause data to leak from kernel memory—which is really not ideal since the kernel is central to operating systems and handles a bunch of sensitive processes.
Read more: https://gizmodo.com/check-this-list-to-see-if-you-re-still-vulnerable-to-me-1821780843

Support Snitz Forums

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2018 :  09:05:21  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You beat me to it Davio, was going to post about this myself

Microsoft have now released a patch for windows 10, however you need to be careful before installing it as some Antivirus products are not compatible with the fix

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2018 :  12:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR
[br]You beat me to it Davio, was going to post about this myself

Microsoft have now released a patch for windows 10, however you need to be careful before installing it as some Antivirus products are not compatible with the fix

Users don't even have to worry about being careful installing the Windows 10 patch, because Microsoft won't offer it to you if it detects you're running an incompatible AV.

See here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072699/important-information-regarding-the-windows-security-updates-released

A list of compatible AV's can be found in this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/184wcDt9I9TUNFFbsAVLpzAtckQxYiuirADzf3cL42FQ/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

golfmann

United States
450 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2018 :  18:01:21  Show Profile  Visit golfmann's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My webroot made the ok list...

I think all this could be a bit hyped but we shall see...
Go to Top of Page

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2018 :  04:00:25  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My server had been rebooted this morning when I logged on, I'm guessing this patch is why.

Switch the order of your title tags
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 06 January 2018 :  20:10:13  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, my PC rebooted yesterday - I think is was related to this issue.

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

MarkTi
Starting Member

United States
1 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2018 :  07:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, did anyone notice your computer running slower after this whole fiasco?
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2018 :  08:50:55  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not especially no.

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07