The NEW Forum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 17 October 2017 :  19:24:09  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it looks very nice, Huw ... I like it. However, it is running awfully slow. Also, I noticed that I cannot change Themes. No matter which I choose, Default is applied.

Now, the BIG question: My forum is heavily modded. I probably could do without some of them, so it's not of huge concern. If I were to update my forum to this version, what issues might I encounter? Broad question, I know. I guess what I want to know is will it just ignore the mods, or will there be a big mess of missing parts?

Glad to see this is finally released. Congratulations and thank you!

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 17 October 2017 :  20:21:26  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
working on the theme change, not sure why it isn't working here as it works on all the other test versions. From what I can tell it is failing to write the cookie, just not sure why yet.
Will also look into the speed as it shouldn't be so slow, could be my server will have a dig (it will be slower than the classic asp version that unfortunately is a consequence of using .net over classic asp, but shouldn't be quite so slow as it seems at the moment)

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 17 October 2017 :  21:14:11  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
as for updating a modded forum, that's a difficult question I have update a couple of modded forums, one was fairly straight forward, the other was a bit of a nightmare (it was more to do with MySQL than anything)

It should ignore most of the mods, since it doesn't really care about them

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2017 :  07:31:01  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Theme change should be OK now.
You may need to clear your forum cookies, you can do that from My Stuff|Profile select the cookie tab and use the 'clear' link (you will need to log back in once you have cleared your cookies

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2017 :  17:45:57  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bit faster now too

Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2017 :  18:37:14  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Huw ...

Themes are working and it is a bit faster. I'll have to put my big boy boots on before attempting an upgrade to forum, though!

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2017 :  20:18:47  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
can you export your database as a create script, I don't need any data, but if I can recreate your db I can give you an idea of how an upgrade might go

Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2017 :  20:32:39  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't have a clue how to do that ... I'll probably just leave it be, as my forum is pretty inactive these days and I am getting old.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

Cliff
Average Member

United States
501 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2017 :  12:18:42  Show Profile  Visit Cliff's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I might not post here much, but I visit most days. This is the first forum software I used and I have a soft spot for you all still.
I was sad when I kept visiting my bookmark of forum.snitz.com/forum/active.asp and getting an error. Then I decided to try forum.snitz.com/ and was able to find this new forum.
I might suggest a redirect in case others have the same bookmark.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2017 :  15:42:59  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff

I might not post here much, but I visit most days. This is the first forum software I used and I have a soft spot for you all still.
I was sad when I kept visiting my bookmark of forum.snitz.com/forum/active.asp and getting an error. Then I decided to try forum.snitz.com/ and was able to find this new forum.

[)8] Thanks for the tip. Have sorted it with a quick redirect for now.
I will add some regex later so if people have topics linked it will redirect to the new topic page

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2017 :  08:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff

I got the error as well, but I was looking out for the change over for a few weeks now since Huw said he would. So wasn't surprised by it.

Site a little slow still. Takes at least 5 seconds after clicking a link before a page STARTS to load.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 23 October 2017 :  22:01:29  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
some performance improvements added, still a few more places I can tweak

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2017 :  12:04:08  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

I don't have a clue how to do that ... I'll probably just leave it be, as my forum is pretty inactive these days and I am getting old.

Do you have a control panel or anything that you can view your database?
If yes I don't mind taking a look for you if you can give me access.

Go to Top of Page

monachus
Starting Member

Greece
28 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2018 :  05:58:52  Show Profile  Visit monachus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My God! Why did it take so long!

Snitz forums was the very first script I ever installed on any of my websites, and after a decade I had to switch to another platform due to snitz's lack of improvement in many aspects.

Now I see a different platform, having solved many of the old asp version problems.

I have a website running in windows server (due to another script) and I am thinking of creating (yet) another forum in snitz.

Is there a way to use the same user/password combination from another script so my users will not have to re-signup for the forum?

The platform is nopcommerse running on windows server with mssql and my website is [url=https://www.safekat.gr]safekat[/url]

Nopcommerse has a built in forum system, but it is very vulnerable, slow and simple comparing to snitz.

Thank you in advance for any help.

[url=https://www.aenaos-sa.gr/]HVAC experts[/url]
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2018 :  10:56:01  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is there a way to use the same user/password combination from another script so my users will not have to re-signup for the forum?

It may be possible, but it depends on a lot of things. Are you able to give me remote access to the database, or perhaps send me the schema?
DO you know how your existing passwords are stored? what type of encryption?

Drop me an email and I'll see what I can do.

Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4207 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2018 :  23:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's another possibility (other than decryption of existing passwords, if that proves impossible). Simply write a program copying all the user data (other than passwords) into a Snitz database, then modifying the login script to your existing forum to encrypt the password using Sha256 and modifying their account in the Snitz database when the user next connects.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07