Icons - Suggestions for Change
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MaGraham

USA
1297 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  10:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any suggestions on what icons could be used to replace the out-of-date Snitz folders? I prefer pngs vs gifs.

Please, share your thoughts on this!

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can." - John Wesley

MaGraham

USA
1297 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  10:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Suggestions for other icon changes would be greatly appreciated, too!

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can." - John Wesley
Go to Top of Page

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  13:32:33  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I prefer pngs vs gifs.

Why?

Switch the order of your title tags
Go to Top of Page

MaGraham

USA
1297 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  13:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The png graphics display much clearer. The gif (and jpg) graphics are compressed and not as clear.

All graphic designers prefer a png/vector type graphic.

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  15:09:43  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
png are also compressed and they are not vector graphics

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page

MaGraham

USA
1297 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  16:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

png are also compressed and they are not vector graphics

I should have written png and/or vector. Sorry!

And, I should have been more specific regarding compressed graphics. Yes, the png graphic is compressed. However; the compression technique (lossless) with a png reduces the size of an image without sacrificing any original data. So with a png, an expanded or restored image is an exact replica of the original image before it was compressed. Because of that, the png is considered the best of the lossless image formats for the Internet. At least that is my understanding.

So unless it's an animated graphic, I prefer a png format with a transparent background.

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  16:31:22  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, gif also uses a lossless compression, but the difference is that a gif can only be a maximum of 256 colours which is its biggest limiting factor for modern graphics, but does not make them 'out of date'

Go to Top of Page

MaGraham

USA
1297 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  17:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Huw, I beg your forgiveness if I offended you. I never meant anything derogatory about Snitz. I only meant to imply that the "folders" seemed out-of-date. And that, of course, is merely my opinion. I LOVE SNITZ!

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2015 :  01:38:42  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no offence taken MaGraham.

Have you tried http://www.axialis.com/free/icons/ they do some free icons, however I doubt you will find a replacement for all the icons in the forum.

Go to Top of Page

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2015 :  13:10:38  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see absolutely no difference between png and gif when the 256 color palette is used which as far as I've seen the Snitz icons do.

Switch the order of your title tags
Go to Top of Page

MaGraham

USA
1297 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2015 :  22:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you, Huw. I just needed some ideas. I'm creating my own.

And you're right, Bobbie. Snitz icons are very good quality!

Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2015 :  14:16:51  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might also want to look at: http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

I've used them for some other web projects.
Go to Top of Page

MaGraham

USA
1297 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  16:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you, too, AnonJr. You guys are the best!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07