Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2009 :  06:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have created a simple MOD that I have seen, but had to make it work with the standard Snitz as the code that it was in did not work.

It is an Alert Bar to help get non-members to sign up to the foums and is a simple MOD to implement. It is not everyones idea of a good thing, but it was something that I quickly put together to hopefully increase my users.

Demo here: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums

Download here: Alert Bar Mod v1.0

The demo only shows up for users that are not logged on. It shows the yellow bar across the top of the browser. Very simple to implement, a matter of uploading 2 .gif images and a .asp file and changing your inc_header.asp file.

Cheers,

David Greening

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2009 :  09:36:53  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job, David! I've seen that before also and thought it would be a great tool to have.

Thanks for sharing!

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2009 :  09:56:28  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've always leaned against that style because it looks like an alert that the website is trying to install something. To me, that yellow bar has a negative connotation. But that could be just me. I put a box right above the forum table.

Switch the order of your title tags
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2009 :  10:06:21  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A person could rig it to store a cookie and be hidden using a hide or hide this notice link. I haven't looked at the code yet, but it probably could also be rigged that when the mouse rolls over it, in x amount of seconds it gracefully fades away.

Edited by - Etymon on 30 September 2009 10:12:39
Go to Top of Page

NiteOwl

Canada
403 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  00:53:59  Show Profile  Visit NiteOwl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like it very much, thanks!

-=NiteOwl=-
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  06:56:33  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Classicmotorcycling

I have created a simple MOD that I have seen, but had to make it work with the standard Snitz as the code that it was in did not work.

It is an Alert Bar to help get non-members to sign up to the foums and is a simple MOD to implement. It is not everyones idea of a good thing, but it was something that I quickly put together to hopefully increase my users.

Demo here: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums

Download here: Alert Bar Mod v1.0

The demo only shows up for users that are not logged on. It shows the yellow bar across the top of the browser. Very simple to implement, a matter of uploading 2 .gif images and a .asp file and changing your inc_header.asp file.

I get this, CM, when clicking on the demo lionk:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e57'

The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data.

/forums/inc_func_common.asp, line 97
Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  07:07:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No idea why, but I would say it was when the host was having issues with the site earlier. Try again as I just tested and it was fine.

Cheers,

David Greening
Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4207 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  12:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simple and effective. Well done.
Go to Top of Page

leatherlips

USA
1838 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  16:10:14  Show Profile  Visit leatherlips's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a similar thing on my forum. Except I am using a "Page Ear". I decided to upload it to SnitzBitz if you are interested.

You can see a demo here. Look in the upper right corner.

Mangione Magic Forum - The Music of Chuck Mangione

My Mods: Googiespell MOD | Link To Reply MOD | Petition MOD | Contact Page MOD | Share This Topic MOD | MP3 MOD | PageEar MOD | Google Viewer MOD

Edited by - leatherlips on 01 October 2009 16:10:41
Go to Top of Page

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  17:07:42  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
You can see a demo here. Look in the upper right corner.

Is it flash?

Go to Top of Page

leatherlips

USA
1838 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  17:09:30  Show Profile  Visit leatherlips's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it uses Flash.

My Mods: Googiespell MOD | Link To Reply MOD | Petition MOD | Contact Page MOD | Share This Topic MOD | MP3 MOD | PageEar MOD | Google Viewer MOD
Go to Top of Page

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  17:10:18  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah it is, that's why I didn't see it. I keep flash turned off by default as do a good many users.

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  18:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see it either leatherlips and I am using flash. Although, if I right click my mouse in the upper right hand corner, it shows the flash menu, so the flash seems to be there, but transparent.

Using latest version of FF.

EDIT: oops, it showed up after reloading the page.

Support Snitz Forums

Edited by - Davio on 01 October 2009 18:16:40
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  19:23:41  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the contribution leatherlips!
Go to Top of Page

leatherlips

USA
1838 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  19:34:54  Show Profile  Visit leatherlips's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobby131313

I keep flash turned off by default as do a good many users.

I'm not so sure many users turn flash off by default. Flash is used so much on the internet such as YouTube and the like. Most media content is often in flash format.

Nevertheless, the PageEar is not a feature that is essential. If a user has flash they'll see it. If they don't, no big deal.

Go to Top of Page

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2009 :  21:56:42  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I changed two sections of one of my websites from javascript affiliate banners to flash affiliate banners for 2 months and impressions were 26% light from page views instead of the normal 1%. Cost me about $750. Pretty significant if you ask me. Trust me, when it hits you in the wallet, you watch the numbers.

Most flash blockers, FlashBlock for FF being the most common, can enable flash on a per site basis so sites like YouTube are 2 clicks on the first visit and you're good to go.

Flash is a resource hog and surfing is faster without it. Most flash is fluff and you don't even miss it. Plus it can be used as an invisible cookie stuffer as well.

Edited by - bobby131313 on 01 October 2009 22:01:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07