New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

CarKnee

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 15 August 2005 :  14:33:32  Show Profile  Visit CarKnee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This mod was created to display the location of members on a Google Map.

It will only work if:
1. The Member has City, State (2 letter abbreviation), and Country filled in their profile.
2. Country MUST be USA. It will not work with any other country!
3. The City and State combination must exist in the GEOCODE database. Not every City is in the database!

Demo: http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/MemberMap.asp

It has been tested with with Snitz 3.4.05 & SQL Server 2000

Download Here:
http://www.snitzbitz.com/mods/details.asp?Version=All&mid=214<

Edited by - CarKnee on 15 August 2005 14:35:31

muzishun

United States
1079 Posts

Posted - 15 August 2005 :  18:28:43  Show Profile  Visit muzishun's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll try to get this up and running in the near future and let you know if I find anything weird with Access. I'm very excited about it. Well done!<

Bill Parrott
Senior Web Programmer, University of Kansas
Co-Owner and Code Monkey, Eternal Second Designs (www.eternalsecond.com)
Personal Website (www.chimericdream.com)
Go to Top of Page

jeffery

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 15 August 2005 :  19:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. I have it working fine on my site. I wish I had more users to show on it :)

Thanks Carknee.<

www.thomasforum.com
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 15 August 2005 :  22:33:38  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nicely done and I thank you! I didn't realize Google had an API out there for the maps or I would have been messing with this a long time ago!

I've got mine up and running here: http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/members/membermap.asp

Now I need to impliment a "locate member" feature so by clicking on a link in a profile or forum post it will bring up the map with themself already highlighted in the little box dealy..at a decent zoom level.<

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Edited by - sr_erick on 15 August 2005 23:28:41
Go to Top of Page

Bassman

Netherlands
256 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2005 :  03:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Bassman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a super mod, Shame you can't use it in europe.<
Go to Top of Page

CarKnee

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2005 :  07:49:44  Show Profile  Visit CarKnee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sr_erick

Nicely done and I thank you! I didn't realize Google had an API out there for the maps or I would have been messing with this a long time ago!

I've got mine up and running here: http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/members/membermap.asp

Now I need to impliment a "locate member" feature so by clicking on a link in a profile or forum post it will bring up the map with themself already highlighted in the little box dealy..at a decent zoom level.

You seem to be missing the
<div id="map" style="width:728px; height: 500px"></div>
on your page.

This mod is just a basic implementation of what can be done. My site has a bit more done with this including what you are asking about. for example, http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/MemberMap.asp?MID=2 will show where member #2 is located.

Have fun with it ;)

<

Go to Top of Page

CarKnee

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2005 :  07:54:32  Show Profile  Visit CarKnee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bassman

This is a super mod, Shame you can't use it in europe.

I know. I wish there were free Geocode services for Europe and the rest of the world.<

Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2005 :  08:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carknee, would this be any use?

<

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

CarKnee

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2005 :  08:18:13  Show Profile  Visit CarKnee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shaggy

Carknee, would this be any use?

I don't think so... even they don't have what I am looking for. This page has a link to find the lat and long of US addresses, not European addresses.

I am looking for something like this http://geocoder.us/

Thanks for trying though!<

Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2005 :  08:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, OK, I get you know, your code is looking up the address, I thought you had your members manually entering their coordinates in their profiles.

<

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

CarKnee

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2005 :  08:32:44  Show Profile  Visit CarKnee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Correct. For US Citites and States it is an automatic lookup.

quote:
I thought you had your members manually entering their coordinates in their profiles.

I am thinking of adding that in for non-US countries so they can use it too. I probably have a hundred or so members outside of the US and they want it. ;)

<

Edited by - CarKnee on 16 August 2005 08:33:43
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2005 :  10:00:02  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CarKnee

quote:

Now I need to impliment a "locate member" feature so by clicking on a link in a profile or forum post it will bring up the map with themself already highlighted in the little box dealy..at a decent zoom level.

You seem to be missing the
<div id="map" style="width:728px; height: 500px"></div>
on your page.

This mod is just a basic implementation of what can be done. My site has a bit more done with this including what you are asking about. for example, http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/MemberMap.asp?MID=2 will show where member #2 is located.

Have fun with it ;)

Missing the div?? No?? I have it in there, otherwise the map will not work. I changed the width value to a fluid percentage, that's it. I will get on the member locator today. I've looked through the code and it all seems simple enough.<

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

CarKnee

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2005 :  11:53:17  Show Profile  Visit CarKnee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Missing the div?? No?? I have it in there, otherwise the map will not work. I changed the width value to a fluid percentage, that's it. I will get on the member locator today. I've looked through the code and it all seems simple enough.

My bad... I think I was looking at the wrong URL.

Anyways... I see you updated your JS code to the version I am using on my site. I was successfully able to bump up the number of pins to 500 and it didn't crash the browser, so you may want to try that too (in the Data file).<

Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2005 :  12:11:44  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yea I wanted to use the green pins because they were smaller so I took those bits and pieces. I'll bump it up a bit and see what happens.<

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

scorpswolle
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - 16 August 2005 :  22:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This MOD is awesome

I've got mine up too and running here:

http://www.the-scorpions.com/forum/
<
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 17 August 2005 :  01:09:37  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, a small concern. I'm thinking of a way to work around something I found. If two people are in the same city (the exact same coordinates), the last one in the XML file is the one that is listed on the map. I wonder what should happen when this happens? How can we get multiple people per city?<

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07