Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2005 :  04:21:51  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you like it! <

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter
Go to Top of Page

hans_

Czech Republic
161 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2005 :  04:42:52  Show Profile  Visit hans_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I like it marcelgoertz. One q. maybe. Must I set timezone in rss.asp code if I have, the same timezone like you?
Thanks
<

I am still learning.
Sorry for my stupid questions (sometimes) and bad English.
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2005 :  06:16:43  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, the timezone you should select, would need to reflect the timezone of your site.
So, for example, if you've set the time of your forum to reflect let's say the time in Florida, you should specify the timezone offset in your RSS file to reflect the Florida timezone (of which I have no clue which time zone that is...I guess EST).
This to ensure that the reader of the RSS feed knows that the post time of 12:20:12 is 12:20:12 Florida time, and not 12:20:12 local (e.g. the readers) time.<

Go to Top of Page

hans_

Czech Republic
161 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2005 :  06:24:13  Show Profile  Visit hans_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see, thank you.<

I am still learning.
Go to Top of Page

Gandiel
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2005 :  13:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does this also conform to security settings per forum?

Would someone be able to manually add cat_id=XX to their querystring and start viewing private topics?

Gandiel<
Go to Top of Page

hans_

Czech Republic
161 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2005 :  14:09:20  Show Profile  Visit hans_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have probem with the date of the feed. I tested it in Opera 8.01 - here I see the date correct. I tried to use this reader http://feedreadercz.semania.com/ and I see the date of the same feed at 19 hours minus as in Opera. Where could be the problem? I made no changes in the rss.asp with time.
Thanks<

I am still learning.
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2005 :  16:49:04  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hans, can you provide me a with a link to both the RSS feed using http://feedreadercz.semania.com/ and your direct rss.asp file ?
I'll have a look then.<

Go to Top of Page

hans_

Czech Republic
161 Posts

Posted - 24 June 2005 :  02:11:14  Show Profile  Visit hans_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Certainly cheerfully
Here is the rss.asp, which I use on my forum: http://flashmedia.cz/2004/v_01/forum/rss.txt
Here is the link to EN version (2.9) of RSS read, what I use: http://feedreader.com/
Please try to test it, because feeds from others sites display the time correctly.

<

I am still learning.
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 24 June 2005 :  04:10:27  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That feed is looking splendid ; http://flashmedia.cz/2004/v_01/forum/rss.asp
If I use SkyZyx to view the feed, it shows me the post times with the servertime of SkyZyx (US time, so about 9 hours earlier).
So, thát part is working great.

I've tried Feedreader, but it seems that feedreader simply doesn't interpret the RSS feed correctly...I've also tried RssReader, and that one too displays the incorrect times...
I'm a bit lost now.
Here are two screenshots from your RSS feed.
The first in RssReader:

The second in FeedReader:

Let's take that first topic as the key topic ;
The RSS feed gives this info about that topic:
- <item>
  <title>FLASH-oznacenie framov na filter</title> 
  <author>lamar</author> 
  <link>http://www.flashmedia.cz/2004/v_01/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=446</link> 
  <subject>Začal(a) jsem nedávno s Flashem a nevím, jak...</subject> 
  <ttl>10</ttl> 
  <pubDate>Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:09:49 +0200</pubDate> 
- <description>
- <![CDATA[  removed for layout purposes
  ]]> 
  </description>
  </item>

So, we've got the time info, which is today at 9:09 am, in the timezone GMT+2.
So, when that topic was posted/last replied to, the GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) would be 07:09am.
However, when I view it (timezone GMT+1), it shows as being posted at 11:04am in RssReader, and as posted at 14:09 yesterday in Feedreader....
It's not just your feed that's displayed incorrectly ; also my own feed (http://www.oxle.com/rss.asp) is displayed incorrectly...
A topic posted this morning at 09:04 +200 (so, 07:04 GMT) is displayed as being posted at 11:04 in RssReader, and as 14:04 yesterday in FeedReader...
I'm lost......<

Edited by - MarcelG on 24 June 2005 04:14:07
Go to Top of Page

hans_

Czech Republic
161 Posts

Posted - 24 June 2005 :  04:44:09  Show Profile  Visit hans_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hm, thank for exploration. I used the feed reader in Opera as I written, there was the time of my feeds OK. But if somebody don´t know the problem, use of course own reader and think, that then time of my feeds are correct.
<

I am still learning.
Go to Top of Page

NiteOwl

Canada
403 Posts

Posted - 25 June 2005 :  18:13:41  Show Profile  Visit NiteOwl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Marcel - When one follows this link:

View source of RSS.ASP (login required, use user: demo, password demo if you're a guest)

there is a small piece of code missing at the bottom, the missing code is:

%>

<

-=NiteOwl=-

Edited by - NiteOwl on 25 June 2005 18:15:04
Go to Top of Page

NiteOwl

Canada
403 Posts

Posted - 25 June 2005 :  19:05:03  Show Profile  Visit NiteOwl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What are your favorite RSS Readers,, so far I have seen and tried these:

SharpReader
Pluck for Internet Explorer
FeedReader
<

-=NiteOwl=-
Go to Top of Page

NiteOwl

Canada
403 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2005 :  00:01:30  Show Profile  Visit NiteOwl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At one of my sites I am receiving this error: does anyone have an idea what is wrong?

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whitespace is not allowed at this location. Error processing resource 'http://www.bcfmwu-forum.com/rss.asp'. Line 1, Posit...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?><!-- RSS generation done by Snitz Forums 2000 on 2005/06/25 21:04:52 -...

<

-=NiteOwl=-
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2005 :  04:52:33  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NiteOwl, I'm not experiencing the missing %> in rss.asp ; it works just fine when I check it out.
A bit strange.

I'm using SharpReader most of the time ; seems to do the job just ok for me.
I also tried your rss feed from BCFMWU-forum.com, and in SharpReader it works.

However, the time is also not displayed as it should be. Are you sure you've used my rss.asp file?
<

Go to Top of Page

NiteOwl

Canada
403 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2005 :  14:41:57  Show Profile  Visit NiteOwl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HI Marcel:

I am using the rss.asp from your site, and now SharpReader, however I have the following for the time, and maybe thats my problem;
rfc822timezone = "CST"
My Servers are in Newark, Delaware and my site is on the Pacific Coast in BC, Canada

I have now changed it too:
rfc822timezone = "-0700"

seems better?

<

-=NiteOwl=-

Edited by - NiteOwl on 26 June 2005 14:52:00
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07