Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

pianomagic
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02 February 2005 :  17:49:17  Show Profile  Visit pianomagic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

marcel, I especially thank you for the rss feed. Yesterday I was able to hook it up and bring the last TEN TOPICS to the front page of my web site! It works in conjunction with the javascript translator via RSSDIGEST.

I have two questions:
  • Do you know how to make the first 200 characters of the last post visible, instead of showing the number of replies?

• I'm really The Villiage Idiot regarding XSL and XML, but is it possible to bypass using RSS DIGEST for the translation services? Instead of having to wait for the cache to 'refresh' at RSS DIGEST, is there a way I can have everything work directly on my site and display changes immediately as they occur?

Hopefully my questions make sense. I'm doing the best i can here...and that's pretty good for TVI!

Hope the dentist was gentle!

Again, sincere thanks for your input; as well as everyone else here. I've learned enough to be dangerous, but having fun in the effort!

Mike

www.pianomagic.com<
Go to Top of Page

cl_dk
Starting Member

Bhutan
3 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2005 :  03:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

I think the RSS functionality is GREAT for many things, but in your case - piping forum content to your website, I am wondering if the "Content Display" mod could be of any help?

This MOD allows you to display content from your forum in many different manners and styles all from a single file. This zip also includes article.asp which allows you to have an article system by adding only 2 new ASP pages. You could even make it a column, news postings...whatever! This MOD is also designed to display forum content outside your forum!

Please note I have not installed it my self yet - so I am not 100% sure on how it works...
Get it here: http://www.snitzbitz.com/mods/details.asp?Version=3.4&mid=63

Kind regards,
CL<

quote:
why did you not post this at Snitz?

The main reasons why this was not posted at Snitz and why I might not post the bugs I find
directly at Snitz anymore are the ways "ruirib and HuwR" take pleasure to criticize just about
anything I post and seem to resent the fact that I want to improve and correct Snitz which, I agree,
serve as the original base for my own Forum.

These are some of the actions I find unacceptable:
ruirib and HuwR take fun to Delete some of my topics, of my replies, locked or move my topic.

A topic posted last week from me to Davio in "Help: MOD Implementation" Forum as been deleted.

Two replies in my topic as been deleted about a bug on snitz topic page:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=5.96&TOPIC_ID=44136#372029

A Fix to texanman as been deleted (first reply to texanman subject):
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66162

One of my Multi-Language Topic on Snitz has disappeared last night
Multi-Language and Multi-Language Skin3D
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40765

etc...

3 times I changed my password and the day after the same game start.

Since I send to HuwR a donation of $200 on December 22, 2006
this guy HuwR has never stop to pick on every thing I post on the Snitz Forum.

I have even received from HuwR and ruirib an e-mail threatening to ban me from Snitz Forum :

Hello

You received the following message from: ruirib (ruirib@ruirib.net)

At: http://forum.snitz.com/forum/

It was a pleasure to have you there, hope you enjoyed the ride ;).
And don't try to sneak in...

Goodbye ;).

Hey as_shole, I know it’s Davio who is a member at your forums, gonna lock him out too
Go to Top of Page

pianomagic
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2005 :  12:13:32  Show Profile  Visit pianomagic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestion cl_dk, but RSS is the route I think I need. The reason? I'm in the process of setting up an Affiliate Program for my members, and the RSS feed could easily be added to their promotional pages, as well as my own.

Still, I'll have a look at the mod you suggest. Might find another use for it, too!

I just LOVE these forums!

Mike

www.pianomagic.com<
Go to Top of Page

pianomagic
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2005 :  18:33:06  Show Profile  Visit pianomagic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found my answer for making the first 200 characters of an RSS feed HERE in Snitz.com.

Still would like to know about XML/XSL if anyone can assist. Thanks!

Mike

www.pianomagic.com<
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2005 :  19:21:47  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
XML/XSL is a rather big subject. Youcould start here;

http://www.w3.org/XML/
http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/

If you want to change XML (RSS, etc.) into html to show on your webpage you need to learn how to transfrom it using XSLT (eXtensible StyLesheet Transformation). Basically XSLT transforms one text document (XML) into another (HTML).

You should have a good grasp of XML before you attempt XSL/XSLT. I have always found XSLT to be rather difficult but extremely versatile.

If you want the easy way out, use the Syndication mod by Kurt - http://www.snitzbitz.com/mods/details.asp?Version=All&mid=195<

Podge.

The Hunger Site - Click to donate free food | My Blog | Snitz 3.4.05 AutoInstall (Beta!)

My Mods: CAPTCHA Mod | GateKeeper Mod
Tutorial: Enable subscriptions on your board

Warning: The post above or below may contain nuts.

Edited by - Podge on 03 February 2005 19:23:11
Go to Top of Page

pianomagic
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04 February 2005 :  20:39:29  Show Profile  Visit pianomagic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Podge,

The syndication mod installed EZ! But...I also want to display the last post (or about 200 characters of it).

I don't suppose anybody has modified this mod to also show the last post??...eh? THAT would make it P*E*R*F*E*C*T for me!

And about the XMl/XSl stuff...it seems very complicated for my brain. I don't know if I'll be able to figure it out or not. If I do, I'll post it here!

Mike

www.pianomagic.com<

Edited by - pianomagic on 04 February 2005 20:41:29
Go to Top of Page

Scottie
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2005 :  19:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marcel, this is an excellent mod. Thanks for posting it.

Question. I noticed that the mod only lists RSS for the posts from today. Should it not compile posts for the entire database, or is this not required? Does the search engine read the RSS everyday and gather the past data ?

Also, I would like to submit the content of each post to the search engine, too.

Thanks!<
Go to Top of Page

Scottie
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2005 :  20:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, it is my understanding that when a browser requests an asp file, IIS should send back an htm file. Why does rss.asp open as rss.asp on my browser.

--Scottie
bmwturbos.scottiesharpe.com<
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 23 February 2005 :  03:48:20  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scottie, the RSS page is not intended for search engines.
It's intended for RSS readers/aggregators.

It doesn't parse ALL topics (that would be somewhat ridiculous, to parse all 10000 topics at once). It now parses the last 10 sorted on t_last_post_date (edit/reply).
You can change this, by chaning the var intResults.

The content of the (original) post is added as the <description></description>.

About parsing HTML ; it doesn't parse HTML, it parses XML ; the format for RSS.
The fact that your browser-address-bar shows rss.asp doesn't mean the content isn't HTML or XML. This topic is also shown in the browser as topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56247 but it _is_ HTML.<

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter
Go to Top of Page

morbidpalooza
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 23 February 2005 :  08:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heres mine it works great!

http://www.morbidpalooza.com/forum/rss.asp<

www.morbidpalooza.com
Go to Top of Page

Scottie
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 23 February 2005 :  21:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I understand. I understand that RSS readers can be used to get a "quick view" of the dynamic contents of a snitz forum. I am still confused as to the method of aggregating the entire contents of a Snitz database (yes, all the thousands of posts and ALL of their contents) into an RSS that a search engine can read and absorb.

The reason for my quest is that my web site is not being spidered properly by search engines. I would like the engines to crawl each individual topic post-by-post.

I think the best way to do this wouuld be to create an RSS feed of every topic, the contents of the post, and the link to the original post topic.asp?topic_id=xxxx

It seems quite odd that no one has done this before. I don't mind being the "first one" to hack through it (it should not be too difficult because I can build it on top of your excellent script of course! )

And point well taken on the html changing to asp blah blah blah. I must have "lost my mind .... just for a moment"

Scottie
http://bmwturbos.scottiesharpe.com
<

Edited by - Scottie on 23 February 2005 21:07:52
Go to Top of Page

modifichicci
Average Member

Italy
787 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2005 :  08:42:58  Show Profile  Visit modifichicci's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For who has a Mysql db:
Change the lines from 48 to 69 with these:
strSql = "SELECT "
strSql = strSql & " T.T_REPLIES,"
strSql = strSql & " T.T_SUBJECT,"
strSql = strSql & " T.TOPIC_ID,"
strSql = strSql & " T.T_LAST_POST,"
strSql = strSql & " T.T_LAST_POST_AUTHOR,"
strSql = strSql & " T.T_LAST_POST_REPLY_ID,"
strSql = strSql & " T.T_MESSAGE"
strSql = strSql & " FROM " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS T," & strTablePrefix & "FORUM F"
strSql = strSql & " WHERE T.FORUM_ID = F.FORUM_ID"
strSql = strSql & " AND F.F_PRIVATEFORUMS = 0"
if Request.QueryString("FORUM_ID") <> "" then
strSql = strSql & " AND T.FORUM_ID = " & cLng(Request.QueryString("FORUM_ID"))
end if
if Request.QueryString("CAT_ID") <> "" then
strSql = strSql & " AND T.CAT_ID = " & cLng(Request.QueryString("CAT_ID"))
end if
strSql = strSql & " AND T.T_STATUS = 1"
'strSql = strSql & " LIMIT " & intResults
strSql = strSql & " ORDER BY T.T_LAST_POST DESC"
strSql = strSql & " LIMIT " & intResults 
set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

Look to the corresponding lines, if tyhere are some little variations in numeration.
So it's working in MySql
The variation is the elimination of TOP in the select statement, and the adding of the LIMIT value to select the last post.<

Ernia e Laparocele
Forum di Ernia e Laparocele
Acces - MySql Migration Tutorial
Adamantine forum
Go to Top of Page

sbc
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2005 :  08:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get invalid HTML generated when forum titles contain the & sign. This can be fixed by using Server.HtmlEncode:

xml = xml & "<title>" & Response.HtmlEncode(strNewTitle) & "</title>"
xml = xml & "<link>" & strForumURL & "</link>"
xml = xml & "<description>" & Response.HtmlEncode(strForumTitle) & "</description>"
xml = xml & "<author>" & Topic_Last_Post_Author & "</author>"
xml = xml & "<image2>" & strForumURL & "rss.gif</image2>"
xml = xml & "<image>"
xml = xml & "<link>" & strHomeURL & "</link>"
xml = xml & "<url>" & strForumURL & "oxle.jpg</url>"
xml = xml & "<title>" & Response.HtmlEncode(strForumTitle) & " RSS Feed</title>"<
Go to Top of Page

hawkdrean

73 Posts

Posted - 12 March 2005 :  00:04:54  Show Profile  Visit hawkdrean's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm new to rss but how do I get the rss.asp running and put the rss.gif in my forum<
Go to Top of Page

kensalter
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2005 :  16:58:03  Show Profile  Visit kensalter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made a MOD to this to add a <subject> tag to each item and also to add pinned topics to the feed.

If you would like it, you can get it at:

http://www.kensalter.com/downloads/rss.zip<
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07