Suggestion: Quick Reply Smilies
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

germkilla
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2003 :  09:24:09  Show Profile  Visit germkilla's Homepage  Send germkilla an AOL message  Send germkilla an ICQ Message
I have implimented quick reply smilies on our forum. I think this would be a great addition to the next version. Our members really love it.
An example can be found here: http://www.rvusa.com/forum/main/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2087
You'll need to login to see the quick reply; you can use 'tester' as a username and password.

Thanks,
Lee

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2003 :  10:17:05  Show Profile
This was debated when v3.4 was first released. See here.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

germkilla
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2003 :  10:51:33  Show Profile  Visit germkilla's Homepage  Send germkilla an AOL message  Send germkilla an ICQ Message
Ah ic -- well on my forum, I placed the smilies horizontally under the quick reply box - doesn't even use any extra real estate.

Oh well -- just throwing out my idea.
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2003 :  11:14:51  Show Profile
Wasn't knocking your idea or implementation (nicely done), Germkilla, just drawing your attention to the fact that this has been suggested before.

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2003 :  11:50:19  Show Profile
Personally I would've put them above the QuickReply text field, but the idea is the same :)
Go to Top of Page

ajhvdb

Netherlands
392 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2003 :  14:51:25  Show Profile
I like it. Could you share your topic.asp as a mod so I can implement it?
Go to Top of Page

germkilla
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2003 :  15:16:07  Show Profile  Visit germkilla's Homepage  Send germkilla an AOL message  Send germkilla an ICQ Message
Sure thing. The lines of interest in topic.asp are lines 1141-1144. Basically replace line 1141 in the original topic.asp with lines 1141-1144 in this topic.asp file. Also you will need to place this inc_smilies2.asp file in your forum directory. All it does is place the clickable smilies all in one line. Let me know if that makes sense.

Here are the files:
http://www.rvusa.com/forum/main/files.zip

Lee
Go to Top of Page

ajhvdb

Netherlands
392 Posts

Posted - 11 September 2003 :  16:13:36  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

blizkrieg bop
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 03 January 2004 :  13:43:22  Show Profile  Visit blizkrieg bop's Homepage  Send blizkrieg bop an ICQ Message
There is a problem if you try and insert a smilie in the middle of the text of your quick reply. It always inserts it at the end of the text. I had to make one small change to topic.asp to make it work:

Changed:
<textarea name=""Message"" cols=""50"" rows=""6"" wrap=""VIRTUAL"" style=""width:100%""></textarea>

To:
<textarea onkeyup=storeCaret(this); onclick=storeCaret(this); name=""Message"" cols=""50"" rows=""6"" wrap=""VIRTUAL"" style=""width:100%"" onchange=storeCaret(this); onselect=storeCaret(this);></textarea>
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 03 January 2004 :  14:06:48  Show Profile
Nicely done germkilla
Go to Top of Page

jensen

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  12:21:34  Show Profile
This looks like a great little mod, have downloaded and will apply it asap - cheers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07