Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 Pretecting Boards Page rank and positioning.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aspwiz

250 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2003 :  10:18:03  Show Profile  Visit aspwiz's Homepage
Hi...

This is an idea for a MOD that I have tried to implement (see this W/CODE thread:- topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46334)

If any board gets lots of posts and they allow links to be entered into those posts, then they are potentially risking their google page ranks and search engine positioning. Google is aware of many 'bad neighborhoods' and as they do not publish the details of which domains are and are not considered 'bad neighbours' then I feel we all have to be very careful and retain absolute control of 'direct' outbound links on our forums.

If a site links directly to a bad neighbor then it's page rank and search engine position is penalised. How do we know who is, and is not a bad neighbor?? We dont.

The Answer is to implement links in a way google will ignore.

Instead of reformating links as we currently do like this:-
<a href="http://www.badneighbor.com" target="_blank">Link text</a>
we can use:-
<a href="Javascript:openWindow('redirect.asp?url=http://www.badneighbor.com')>link text</a>

Google will never follow this link and we can never be penalised even if the resulting page is a bad neighbor.

I have given up trying to implement this due to the spagetti of code in the inc_func_common.asp file and as I am not yet that familiar with snitz, I cannot embark on a complete rewrite of how snitz handles links.

Snitz should detect relative url's (such as the one above in this post) because everyone should want google to follow these links.

Is anyone feeling sufficiently challenged enough to tackle this MOD??

I am more than willing to help out and know ASP very well... this mod however will require ASP and server side Javascript.

I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP!!

Cheers

Rob

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2003 :  10:23:16  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
I have never recognized this Google Bad Neighbor issue... is it your theory? My site is indexed just fine on Google and I have tons of other links.

Go to Top of Page

aspwiz

250 Posts

Posted - 27 July 2003 :  10:33:44  Show Profile  Visit aspwiz's Homepage
No, it is not my opinion... it is a well known part of google page ranking.
see this page:- http://www.vbmedia.co.uk/articles/page-rank.asp for more details of google page ranking which does touch a little on 'bad neighborhoods'

Rob
Go to Top of Page

aspwiz

250 Posts

Posted - 28 July 2003 :  06:13:42  Show Profile  Visit aspwiz's Homepage
You may also want to see this article:-
Are your Search Engine Rankings at Risk?

I think because of this, this MOD is very important.

So far, I can reformat url's as long as they are not built with the [ url][/ url] forum code.

Any ideas?

Rob
Go to Top of Page

AWD_ENVY

103 Posts

Posted - 28 July 2003 :  16:59:43  Show Profile
In my opinion, if you're worried about search engine rank, you should remove(Deny) the forum directory from "robots.txt". Most things that are valueble to surfers are not the forum, but the other things in the site. The forum is more of an "Add on" or Bonus in my book. I have really good ratings with Google, MSN, & Yahoo.... & I don't share my ANYTHING in my forum directory with the spiders.

Edited by - AWD_ENVY on 28 July 2003 17:00:18
Go to Top of Page

aspwiz

250 Posts

Posted - 28 July 2003 :  17:45:02  Show Profile  Visit aspwiz's Homepage
Google indexing forum posts is EXACTLY what you want if your forum IS the main part of your site.
I realise it may not be the main part of your site, but many users here have vast communities
built around snitz forums and banning google from their posts is one really wacky idea for a work around.

Anyway everyone... I have cracked this and I'm writing the MOD documentation as we speak so gimme about 20 minutes.

Cheers!!
Go to Top of Page

aspwiz

250 Posts

Posted - 28 July 2003 :  18:41:33  Show Profile  Visit aspwiz's Homepage
Ok....

This MOD is now in beta.

See this thread:-
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46426
Go to Top of Page

aspwiz

250 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2003 :  07:08:46  Show Profile  Visit aspwiz's Homepage
This mod has been withdrawn as it clearly doesnt work.... I don't think it can be implemented without a MAJOR rewrite of functionality.

If someone can get this going, I'll make it worth their while!

Rob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07