DEV Bug Reports (Closed)
 (v3.4.02) BUG+FIX: default.asp
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 09 September 2002 :  15:50:35  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
My host alerted me that my site has memory leaks which is most likely caused by work I have done on my own but while going over the code I noticed that this sub sets rs twice. Is this correct?

sub WriteStatistics() 
	Dim Forum_Count
	Dim NewMember_Name, NewMember_Id, Member_Count
	Dim LastPostDate, LastPostLink

set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

Forum_Count = intForumCount
	'## Forum_SQL - Get newest membername and id from DB

strSql = "SELECT M_NAME, MEMBER_ID FROM " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS " &_
	" WHERE M_STATUS = 1 AND MEMBER_ID > 1 " &_
	" ORDER BY MEMBER_ID desc;"

Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
	rs.open TopSQL(strSql,1), my_Conn

@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 09 September 2002 :  15:53:49  Show Profile
on line #790 of default.asp, find the following line and delete it:

set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

@tomic, it is extra, but it would not cause any problems.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 09 September 2002 :  16:03:25  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
Heh, I didn't think it was the problem. The problem are the huge recordsets that are not closed in the Display Content MOD which I am closing now.

Thanks
@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com
Go to Top of Page

bax

141 Posts

Posted - 13 September 2002 :  00:21:51  Show Profile
Atomic:

If I may ask, how does your host alert you to these memory leaks? I'd love to be able to do leak-testing on our sites, but really have no idea how that works...
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 13 September 2002 :  19:04:19  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
quote:
If I may ask, how does your host alert you to these memory leaks? I'd love to be able to do leak-testing on our sites, but really have no idea how that works...

You get a later saying:

quote:

I’m writing to let you know that we are having problems keeping your site up and running. The forum you are using,
Snitz , has a memory leak and after running for a while consistently consumes more and more ram. I just noticed the isolated process for your site was using over 160mb of ram and increasing.
After monitoring file usage on your site I noticed that the files that were running while the memory size was increasing were the ones from the forum directory.
It is possible that it could be something else on your site, but after temporarily disabling that forum the memory usage didn’t move for about 10 minutes, the second I turned it back on the usage leaped 3x what it was previously holding at.

An alternative forum you can try if you wish:
http://www.webwizguide.com/

There is also a tool on there that can import the data from
snitz into the web wiz forum.
Its possible it’s a problem with the access DB its using on the back end as well which is another item that tends not to play nice when used heavily. You can set your forum up to run on SQL if you like too since you do have a plan III account.

Please check into the issue either way and see if you can get this problem under control and let us know what you come up with.
If theres any help we can provide troubleshooting the problem let us know.

Now, this is a Snitz 3.1R4 but that was better IMHO than 3.3. In fact, I never upgraded after I realized how slow it was.

@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com
Go to Top of Page

bax

141 Posts

Posted - 14 September 2002 :  02:52:57  Show Profile
Interesting. Richard, has anyone tested new versions to see if this type of problem continues? Is it documented anywhere?

I actually looked at the webwizguide forum a bit ago. There were some things I liked better about Snitz (can't remember what they are right now, tho, for some reason, and looking at their feature set, it appears pretty robust). I did like that webwiz uses stored procs, tho, for it's SQL version, and the style sheets stuff. Anyone done any serious comparisons of features between snitz and it?
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 14 September 2002 :  02:59:15  Show Profile
This is a bug report, not a topic to discuss the differences between this forum and some other forum.
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2002 :  00:14:00  Show Profile
fixed in v3.4.03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07