MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 "jump to first unread message" button
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Flaimo

Austria
72 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2001 :  22:35:21  Show Profile  Visit Flaimo's Homepage  Send Flaimo an AOL message  Send Flaimo an ICQ Message  Send Flaimo a Yahoo! Message
i don't see this feature very often on message boards, but i think it's quite useful. if someone has already visited a thread, the next time he sees the thread, he only has to click that little arrow to get to the first unread message.

flaimo,

http://flaimo.com/famousfonts

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  03:06:58  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
individual messages are not marked as read, so how would it help.
also, you can not jump to an individual reply. only a page.

Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  10:08:41  Show Profile
Actually, I've been thinking about this one.

There are times when it would have been nice to point someone directly to a specific reply on a page. So I was thinking that hey, it would be great if we had the html bookmarks on the page so that we could send someone a url like:

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=9756#REPLY549

Hmm...the last read thing tho...this wouldn't work for that...

Hmm...(I'm thinking aloud)

It would have to be done dynamically. So the link on the arrow would probably have the last visit date as a querystring parameter and and also the bookmark thing "#unread" would be appended. On the target page, you would insert the html bookmark at the first topic that had a posting date that was newer/greater than the last visit date from either the querystring or thinking now, that's also available in a cookie too!

What do you guys think?

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  10:10:53  Show Profile
quote:

individual messages are not marked as read, so how would it help.

Oh, forgot to reply to this...I think they're looking to do it the same way that active topics are determined. Just use the last visit date and assume that anything before has been read and that anything after that date has not been?

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Flaimo

Austria
72 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  12:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Flaimo's Homepage  Send Flaimo an AOL message  Send Flaimo an ICQ Message  Send Flaimo a Yahoo! Message
quote:

it would be great if we had the html bookmarks on the page so that we could send someone a url like:

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=9756#REPLY549

What

that's what i was thinking off too. use the ID number of each post an create an anchor for every post in the topic.asp. something like

<a href="jump<% = rs("ID") %>"</a>

and store this rs("ID") in a cookie...

Edited by - flaimo on 18 May 2001 12:40:29
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  12:52:40  Show Profile
I wouldn't mind working on this one as a mod.

I have a fairly good idea how to do it. I've already been somewhat dissecting that particular type of board anyways.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

CHEETAH

Sweden
60 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2001 :  04:09:46  Show Profile  Visit CHEETAH's Homepage  Send CHEETAH an ICQ Message
Here is a forum in which the #number works to jump to a specific post.

http://cgi.webforum.nu/wf/Forum9/HTML/000552.html#4

cheers
/CHEETAH - [former "Stockholmstudent]- www.diskuterapolitik.com
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2001 :  05:40:25  Show Profile
I think I've got this one working!
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=10231

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

CHEETAH

Sweden
60 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  09:43:47  Show Profile  Visit CHEETAH's Homepage  Send CHEETAH an ICQ Message
it doesn't work. You gotta give each post a special number, not the same name! So that if the topic has 33 replies, the blue arrow leads the user to a page ending with "#33"! right?

cheers
/CHEETAH - cheetah@plus.idg.se - www.diskuterapolitik.com
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  11:42:28  Show Profile
quote:

it doesn't work. You gotta give each post a special number, not the same name! So that if the topic has 33 replies, the blue arrow leads the user to a page ending with "#33"! right?

No, not the way I see it. Here's my reasoning:

Yes, every new post has this added:
<a name="newpost">

The goal of the mod was to get to the first unread message, which this will do. I compare the post time to the last visit date and if the post time is newer than I write out the anchor tag. So 20 out of 30 posts may have the same anchor tag & name. But all that's needed is for the browser to hit the first anchor. This was the easiest solution without requiring additional code and db utilization which would ultimately end up doing the same thing.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

CHEETAH

Sweden
60 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  13:16:59  Show Profile  Visit CHEETAH's Homepage  Send CHEETAH an ICQ Message
ah! okay! missunderstood you! sorry! :)

cheers
/CHEETAH - cheetah@plus.idg.se - www.diskuterapolitik.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07