Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

chimaera
Starting Member

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 14 June 2001 :  04:02:11  Show Profile  Visit chimaera's Homepage
quote:

You are perfectly right. We should do something about it. I prefer sending the email as plain text, since I use ChiliMail which only supports text.

I need some help here from more experienced Snitz hackers (believe it or not, I'm new in this community). I suppose lots of developers have been working with forum code before? Maybe there are som ready-to-use functions for converting between forum code / html / plain text

You've been here a lot longer than me (!) but anyway I have made the necessary changes to strip the HTML tags from email, censor any bad words and a bit of other tidying up too.

A copy of my post_info.asp can be found at http://www.steve-p.com/post_info.zip. There are two new functions, StripHTMLTags and StripTag. StripHTMLTags is used within SendSubscribeEmail where it is building up the body of the message like this:

strMessage = strMessage & StripHTMLTags(txtMessage) & vbCrLf & vbCrLf

IMPORTANT: Don't just overwrite your existing post_info.asp with mine! Mine has my previous modifications to increase the topic's read count when sending out emails. I have also changed the layout of the message body. If you are happy with this, then by all means go ahead and use it. Otherwise, you will have to isolate the changes necessary, and insert them into your own copy.

Anders: Maybe you could build this in for version 5. Feel free to use my code. Your original MOD really rocks!

Regards

Steve

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 14 June 2001 :  22:16:41  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Anyone Get this Mod to work with HuwR's Version of Snitz?

Rick

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.
Go to Top of Page

Kal Corp
Average Member

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 22 June 2001 :  17:06:39  Show Profile  Visit Kal Corp's Homepage
So hows this working? I would like to check it out :-)

Go to Top of Page

gglosser
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 24 June 2001 :  18:58:41  Show Profile  Visit gglosser's Homepage
quote:

Version 4 now available:
http://www.paddla.space2u.com/subscription_mod_4.zip

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

The admin interface makes it possible to switch subscription on/off on different forums, categories etc. The admin interface also makes it possible to configure how many email adresses that shall be put on the "to" of each email. For example, for emailing 1000 members, we can send 10 email, each containing 100 email adresses in the "to" of the email.

When the e-mail is fired off, does each subscriber see the TO of all other subscribers? I am concerned about privacy issues... Are there 100 addresses listed in the TO, or are you simply describing the fact that the e-mails are divided up by the program so that they go out in chunks?

TIA,
Gisele

Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 25 June 2001 :  09:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
Unfortunately, each subscriber see the to of all other subscribers. As I wrote earlier in this thread:

quote:
My plan was to use bcc instead of to for this MOD, but I got some problems with ChiliMail. First of all, ChiliMail seems to need a to address, otherwise it won't work. So I made some tests where I put my own adress in the to, and the rest in the bcc. However, I could not get it working very well. According my ISP I can send an email to 100 recipients, but maybe only if I use to? I have not been very successful with bcc.

Personally I have set No of addresses per email to 1. Noone will see any other persons email address. This works okay, since I don't have so many subscriptions in my forum.

Other people have also experimented with using bcc, see earlier posts in this thread.

Anders M

Go to Top of Page

Greg Bowman
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 25 June 2001 :  17:19:37  Show Profile
Gisele

I had the same issue, here is what I did. I have confined the number of simultaneous emails to one (rather than default 10), and I use ASPemail which utilizes a queue. When a post is made the ASP page does not need to wait for the email to be sent, ASPemail just queues and sends them as fast it can. It cost me $99 for this extra feature -- rest of the prod. was freeware.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 25 June 2001 :  23:03:13  Show Profile
I use ASPEmail to and here is what I did in inc_mail.asp so it can send the mail to more than 1 user at a time and it uses bcc.

case "aspemail"
Set objNewMail = Server.CreateObject("Persits.MailSender")
objNewMail.FromName = strFromName
objNewMail.From = strSender
objNewMail.AddReplyTo strSender
objNewMail.Host = strMailServer
arrayStr = Split(strRecipients, ";", -1, vbTextCompare)
For Each emailStr in arrayStr
objNewMail.AddBCC emailStr
Next
'objNewMail.AddAddress strRecipients, strRecipientsName
objNewMail.Subject = strSubject
objNewMail.Body = strMessage
on error resume next '## Ignore Errors
objNewMail.Send
If Err <> 0 Then
Err_Msg = Err_Msg & "<li>Your request was not sent due to the following error: " & Err.Description & "</li>"
End if

Anders M, excellent MOD and maybe a little suggestion. If anyone does reply to this Post with an email setting that works for them in inc_mail.asp (like mine), document it and add it to your readme file for ver5 :)

Intrepidone
Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2001 :  10:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
I will be away for a couple of months and I will not have access to the web. Therefore I cannot answer any questions about this MOD. I will be back in the beginning of September.

Wish you all a good summer!

Anders M

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07