Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

MazY
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2001 :  19:07:32  Show Profile
quote:

MazY and ahimanikya, if you want to change the mail format yourself, look for the following code in post_info.asp

Many thanks for the speedy response. I shall pop that in immediately. Can you tell me what the "No of addresses per mail" is for?

Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2001 :  19:08:22  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
quote:
Now a questions: Forgive my ignorance or my laziness if this has been answered elsewhere but the option "No of addresses per email" - what does that actually configure?

It configures how many email adresses that shall be put on the "to" of each email

readme.txt:
The admin interface also makes it possible to configure how many email adresses that shall be put on the "to" of each email. For example, for emailing 1000 members, we can send 10 email, each containing 100 email adresses in the "to" of the email.

Note that my MOD works without problems with ChiliMail, but with e.g. JMail and aspmail you must split the string strRecipients in inc_mail.asp if you want to use a number larger than 1. This is described earlier in this thread.

-Anders M

Go to Top of Page

MazY
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2001 :  19:27:03  Show Profile
Can I just check with you that this is correct:

strSubject = strSubject & topicName
strMessage = "A new post has been made in: " & strForumTitle & " " & "by " & postedByName & vbCrLf vbCrLf
strMessage = strMessage & "To read the reply, visit " & url & vbCrLf & vbCrLf
strMessage = strMessage & "Happy Posting..." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf
strMessage = strMessage & "This email is sent for information purposes only. Please do not try to reply to it." & vbCrLf & vbCrlf
strMessage = strMessage & "The VBMedia Forum Subscription Notifier."

By the information that you kindly provided, I figure that this should provide a result like:

A new post has been made in: Test Forum by Forum User

To read the reply, visit www.testurl

Happy Posting...

This email is sent for information purposes only. Please do not try to reply to it.

The VBMedia Forum Subscription Notifier.

Many thanks again.

Edited by - MazY on 17 May 2001 19:36:31
Go to Top of Page

MazY
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2001 :  19:29:51  Show Profile
quote:

It configures how many email adresses that shall be put on the "to" of each email

Many thanks. I can be incredibly thick at times. I'd already be lost without this mod though!

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2001 :  22:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Anders,

I haven't taken the plunge yet... I'm running a heavily modified sr2 site and I have to really look things over before I jump in...

I like your mod a lot -- good work!

I have a question about the possibility of hiding the subsrcription checkboxes in the default.asp page by simply preceeding the bits of code with either: if mLev = 3 (for moderators) or if mLev = 4 (for administrators).

You know your code better than I... you think this would work without too much trouble?

This would allow moderators or administrators the ability to set-up subscriptions but not the general public -- which is what I need... and perhaps other people too...

Thanks for your time...

Cheers!

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960
Go to Top of Page

dkerns
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2001 :  23:02:18  Show Profile
First - I love the subscription MOD. But...I have a concern about the fact that all the recipients (or the number of recipients defined in the configuration area) are all listed in the TO: field of the message. Fundamentally that's a big problem...revealing the recipient list to all recipients!

I also experienced problems with the format of the email message...particularly if the message was a "reply with quote"...I get HTML/FORUM code...not pretty.

So...I have worked on a modification of the original MOD that accomplishes the changes I need for my situation (CDONTS). Others may want to adapt to their email component or specific situation. And I haven't tested it thoroughly but prelim results are very positive!

I edited two files:

post_info.asp - changed the message to be ensure the URL displays as an HTML hyperlink in the email
inc_mail.asp - changed the message body type to HTML; placed the receipient list in the BCC property and created a single fake receipient (not sure if it has to be valid or not)

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'post_info.asp

'######################### BEGIN DK MODIFICATION ########################
' code to create hyperlink - original code is commented out below
' strMessage = strMessage & url & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & txtMessage & vbCrLf
strMessage = strMessage & "<a href='" & url & "'>" & url & "</a>" &
strMessage = strMessage & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & txtMessage & vbCrLf
'######################### END DK MODIFICATION ##########################

'inc_mail.asp

case "cdonts"
Set objNewMail = Server.CreateObject ("CDONTS.NewMail")
' change the email message body type to HTML
' objNewMail.BodyFormat = 1 'original code (text)
objNewMail.BodyFormat = 0 'HTML

objNewMail.MailFormat = 0

' add new line to place all subscribers in the mail object's BCC property
' so they don't all appear in the TO: list
objNewMail.bcc = strRecipients

on error resume next '## Ignore Errors

' Replace all vbCRLF with <BR> tags to display properly in HTML format message
strMessage = replace(strMessage, vbCRLF, "<BR>")

' instead of sending to all recipients in the TO: property, change to one
' generic (or non-existent) recipient; all real recipients receive the message
' as a BCC recipient (so they won't see the list of recipients)
' original code commented out below
' objNewMail.Send strSender, strRecipients, strSubject, strMessage

objNewMail.Send strSender, "forum_recipients@mydomain.com", strSubject, strMessage

If Err <> 0 Then
Err_Msg = Err_Msg & "<li>Your request was not sent due to the following error: "
Err_msg = Err_Msg & Err.Description & "</li>"
End if
on error resume next '## Ignore Errors

Edited by - dkerns on 17 May 2001 23:03:47
Go to Top of Page

MazY
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2001 :  23:47:58  Show Profile
quote:

And I haven't tested it thoroughly but prelim results are very positive!

I'd be really interested in hearing the final results of testing. I hadn't even thought about the possibility of the "to" list being displayed, despite telling clients all the time to send their newsletter to them self and just adding everyone else to the BCC list! Whoops.

I trust you'll post the results of testing as soon as you have them?

Go to Top of Page

MazY
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2001 :  23:52:20  Show Profile
Another thing that would be a nice touch - is to have the word "Subscribe" in the column header to act as a hyperlink to a "help on subscriptions" popup page or standard page.

All little bits for V5.0

Go to Top of Page

ahimanikya
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  00:40:28  Show Profile
quote:

First - I love the subscription MOD. But...I have a concern about the fact that all the recipients (or the number of recipients defined in the configuration area) are all listed in the TO: field of the message. Fundamentally that's a big problem...revealing the recipient list to all recipients!

I also experienced problems with the format of the email message...particularly if the message was a "reply with quote"...I get HTML/FORUM code...not pretty.

Love this addon , this is exactly what I was looking for .

Thanks
Ahimanikya
Go to Top of Page

MazY
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  00:57:31  Show Profile
quote:
inc_mail.asp - changed the message body type to HTML; placed the receipient list in the BCC property and created a single fake receipient (not sure if it has to be valid or not)

But won't this completely ruin the received mail for those without HTML mail? In that, a text mail read by an HTML mail client is fine but the other way around....

Go to Top of Page

dkerns
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  09:27:10  Show Profile
Agree that's a potential problem...I haven't had a chance to track down why the formatting of the messages using the original MOD 4 code is so screwed up (at least when it arrives).

I use Outlook 2000. Using the original code, I would receive a message from the subscription, and the URL would be clickable but the quoted message was all codes (HTML/FORUM). When I changed the body type to just HTML, then I got a message where the quoted message looked great but the url was no longer clickable and the lines of other information (author, topic) all appear on the same line (vbCRLF having no effect).

So that's how I ended up with the replacing the vbCRLF's with <BR>...

Perhaps it's just a Outlook 2000 thing...

quote:

quote:

But won't this completely ruin the received mail for those without HTML mail? In that, a text mail read by an HTML mail client is fine but the other way around....

Go to Top of Page

dkerns
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  09:33:05  Show Profile
I was looking back thru the posts on this topic and I see someone else mentioned the problem with codes appearing in the message that gets sent to subscribers.

Perhaps if we simply left out the content of the message and send the subscriber a note with:

1) notice that someone has submitted a response
2) the topic
3) the URL

???
Has the advantage/disadvantage of driving the reader back to the web site to see the reply...

Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  09:57:13  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
quote:
Perhaps if we simply left out the content of the message and send the subscriber a note with:

1) notice that someone has submitted a response
2) the topic
3) the URL

I agree. This will be the most simple solution. Earlier in this thread I described how you can accomplish this (the post with the blue and green code).

Anyway, for my own forum, I want to send the complete message with the mail. I asked this question earlier:

"Maybe there are some ready-to-use functions for converting between forum code / html / plain text ?"

Are there?

Go to Top of Page

Anders M

Sweden
117 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  10:09:46  Show Profile  Visit Anders M's Homepage
quote:

My plan was to use bcc instead of to for this MOD, but I got some problems with ChiliMail. First of all, ChiliMail seems to need a to address, otherwise it won't work. So I made some tests where I put my own adress in the to, and the rest in the bcc. However, I could not get it working very well. According my ISP I can send an email to 100 recipients, but maybe only if I use to? I have not been very successful with bcc.

Personally I have set No of addresses per email to 1. Noone will see any other persons email address. This works okay, since I don't have so many subscriptions in my forum.

Please report how your experiment works out.

-Anders M

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  11:32:51  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Anders,

With the barrage of posts concerning mail components, my last email my have been skipped over... I'd would probably take you a moment to consider. I've quoted it below...

Cheers...

quote:

Hi Anders,

I haven't taken the plunge yet... I'm running a heavily modified sr2 site and I have to really look things over before I jump in...

I like your mod a lot -- good work!

I have a question about the possibility of hiding the subsrcription checkboxes in the default.asp page by simply preceeding the bits of code with either: if mLev = 3 (for moderators) or if mLev = 4 (for administrators).

You know your code better than I... you think this would work without too much trouble?

This would allow moderators or administrators the ability to set-up subscriptions but not the general public -- which is what I need... and perhaps other people too...

Thanks for your time...

Cheers!

Rob Poretti

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07