MOD: Reset Configuration on Demand
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 13 April 2001 :  13:15:48  Show Profile
Let me start by saying that most people running Snitz will probably never need/use this.

On the other hand if you're mod'ing and tweaking your forum, this could be useful. This file is independent of all other files, except for config.asp. Calling up this page will "force" the forum configuration to be reloaded by resetting the ConfigLoaded application variable to nothing.

Download Zip:
http://www.writermag.com/forum/download/admin_run_config.zip
[Last updated: Apr 17, 2001]

Let me explain what happened to me. First of all, I removed the setup.asp file from the production site and in the config.asp file I commented out the redirect and displayed an error message. (I don't want anyone else trying to run it or even messing around with it.) Okay no problem there.

Well I had recently added in a mod and I had to make a change in the config.asp file for the SQL to retrieve the config information. I had made a typo in the a column name, but of course, this wouldn't be found out until the config was reloaded.

So...of course this morning, someone else rebooted the server and when I went to visit the forum, I only saw my error message that I put in place of the redirect to the setup file. DOH!

To keep this short, I eventually found the problem, but it was a pain trying to force the config to reload w/o having to run the setup script. Now with this page, I can edit the config.asp file and force it to run through the process of reloading the configuration settings.

Edited by - work mule on 17 April 2001 13:15:10

Edited by - work mule on 17 April 2001 13:15:33

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 13 April 2001 :  13:18:44  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
you can do this by using the check Installation link in admin options

Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 13 April 2001 :  14:10:12  Show Profile
At one point, the forum code thought that the configuration settings were loaded, but it wasn't. That was interesting. So in this case, the ConfigLoaded variable had to be reset for it to reload the configuration settings.

I also had removed setup.asp from my production site so running Check Installation wouldn't have been an option (since it calls setup.asp).

Before you say that removing setup.asp was a bad thing, I have other users that are setup as admins and so would have access/rights to run setup.asp. These users have no knowledge of the forum code so the last thing I want them doing is running any setup scripts. (bad, bad thing...) I've also had to "hide" certain elements of the admin area from them, like email server configuration.

Also somewhat related is this topic:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=4836

In that topic, one of Mike's replies was:
quote:

brk.... forum security on those files is such that you shouldn't have to delete them... they are now safe in the latest alpha

So what's that mean? In prior releases they aren't? I don't know. I'm not that familiar with the setup files. So, for myself, I feel a whole lot comfortable by just removing the files. If by chance I need them, I'll copy them back. My thinking is that once the database is setup, I shouldn't have to make any changes anyways.

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 13 April 2001 :  14:20:48  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
That is very good thinking.

I was merely pointing out that it could be done with check installation, it did not prevent me downloading your Mod

Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 13 April 2001 :  15:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
Work Mule,

I have noticed that when using the config.asp file to load colors into pages outside of the forum directory they do not always get updated properly because of the way the application variables are set. For example, if you change some colors they will show up right away inside the forum but will not show up in pages outside of the forum (ie. the Portal Mod pages), so in essence I created basically the same things as you have here. Just a file to reload the config variables.

However, all I did was edit the setup.asp page so that it could run from outside the Forum dir. Basically, what HuwR suggested, just check the forum installation, but outside of the forum dir.

I don't know if there are plans to change the way that the application vars are set, because I don't know how many people will be using the Forum DB as the basis for their entire site, but, any thoughts on this?

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence
www.combatintelligence.com
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 16 April 2001 :  07:46:42  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
small tweak to this MOD.

add this line

Application.Contents.RemoveAll ()

above

Application.Lock

This will remove the currently loaded variables before updating them

Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2001 :  13:14:17  Show Profile
Thanks HuwR! Didn't know that.

The zip file has been updated.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07