Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Help Groups for Snitz Forums 2000 Users
 Help: General / Classic ASP versions(v3.4.XX)
 Change email address in Profile
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

l2k man

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 03 September 2016 :  16:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of our members tried to change his email address in his Profile, but couldn't as he got the message 'email address already in use'.
On investigation I found his new email address in the field M_NEWEMAIL
I haven't had this problem before, and could only sort it using SQL Server Management Studio. Any suggestions why this occurred?

Edited by - l2k man on 03 September 2016 16:52:43

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 03 September 2016 :  17:19:24  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage
They try to change it, and never click the confirmation link in the email. So it just sits there. Then they try again and it's in use because it's still in there from the first time. Happens to me all the time with AOL email addys because well... AOL email sucks. They never get the confirmation email.

Switch the order of your title tags
Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2016 :  17:26:45  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage
I'm sure there should be some form of competency test for people who wish to use the internet , and if there was many would fail on the email section

It's the same as the new registrations who don't know their address so confirmation emails bounce back, or they start their address with: www. mymane@whatever and then blame you for making registration complicated lol

Edited by - Webbo on 04 September 2016 17:27:20
Go to Top of Page

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2016 :  18:58:00  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage
I fight with AOL users at least twice a month. I even have it highlighted in yellow on my registration forum to NOT use AOL....

They still do it and complain. They SWEAR they get all their emails. No you don't. They have the most ridiculously stupid spam filter on the planet. They completely vaporize them, they don't go to a spam folder, and the sender gets no bounce notice.

Switch the order of your title tags
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 05 September 2016 :  09:45:24  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
You can't necessarily blame the user or indeed AOL, it may be your own domains mail server settings/DNS that is causing the issues. After the server crash here a few weeks ago, it took me nearly a week of tweaking various settings before gmail would accept emails from the forum.
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 05 September 2016 :  21:13:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

You can't necessarily blame the user or indeed AOL, it may be your own domains mail server settings/DNS that is causing the issues. After the server crash here a few weeks ago, it took me nearly a week of tweaking various settings before gmail would accept emails from the forum.

What kind of tweaks?

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2016 :  06:35:38  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
IIRC googles biggest issue was the revrse dns pointers for the mail servers IP address/MX records. One of the other issue is that mail systems like AOL may have blacklisted the mail server your forum is using and therefore reject the email, just because you think you sent an email does not mean that it arrived at its destination.

I regularly check the blacklist staus of my mail servers as they can end up on a blacklist without you knowing.
Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2016 :  17:11:14  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage
Yeap , as above, I use http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx which is pretty comprehensive and you can also subscribe to email reporting
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07