Help Groups for Snitz Forums 2000 Users
 Help: Database: MS SQL Server
 Can't archive after upgrade to SQL Server
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TastyNutz

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 16 March 2012 :  10:39:05  Show Profile  Visit TastyNutz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My recent migration from Access to MS SQL went well and performance has been great. But I started getting the error "Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.FORUM_REPLY' in database..." Because my host limits SQL Server databases to 200MB, I need to remove older topics.

But my archive function isn't working. It either says no topics could be found, or shows a string of dots. I can delete previously archived topics, but can't archive anything new.

I went back to my previous installation to test archive with the Access database and it works fine. So, I assume the migration has caused this issue.

Any ideas?

PowerQuad Disability Support Forum

Edited by - TastyNutz on 16 March 2012 10:39:33

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 16 March 2012 :  12:01:47  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Off the cuff I'd say it's related to the limit in database size. Snitz makes a copy in the Archive tables before it removes the original - so if there's any interruption there's always at least one complete copy. If you're up against the size limit, you probably don't have space to create the initial copy.

As an aside, this means that archiving isn't going to really change the amount of SQL Server space available since all you are doing is shuffling content from the main tables to the archive tables. There are benefits to this, just not reducing your overall database size.

I'd see if your host can allocate more space. I'm actually surprised at that particular size limit as that is awfully small, and most hosts these days have adjusted their size constraints to accommodate the relative glut of relatively cheap storage available now. I'd get into more on hosting, but that sort of thing is off-topic here.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 16 March 2012 :  12:24:35  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
To be honest, 200MB as storage space is simply ridiculous. At this day and age, having to delete posts because you have such low database storage limits... well I have said it.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

TastyNutz

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 16 March 2012 :  13:32:20  Show Profile  Visit TastyNutz's Homepage
I agree it's too small. Especially since I believe they limit MySQL at 1000MB. Don't know the reason for the difference?

And I know that archiving won't reduce space, but I need to archive old topics before I can delete them ... right?

Go to Top of Page

TastyNutz

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 16 March 2012 :  15:45:36  Show Profile  Visit TastyNutz's Homepage
I made room in the database and tried archiving again. But now it only archived the REPLIES in the selected forum. All the old topics are still in the forum, with zero replies visible.

What a mess...

Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 17 March 2012 :  07:26:42  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
You can't mass delete topics, unless you archive them.

I think the level of effort you are needing to go through is a waste of time and patience. There are too many decent hosts without those ridiculous space limitations for SQL Server databases.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07