Help: Database: MS SQL Server
 Support for SQL Server 2005
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PWNBA
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  23:13:24  Show Profile  Visit PWNBA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Currently my Snitz forum (3.4.05) is hosted on IIS6 with a SQL Server 2000 backend.

I have a pending up to IIS7 that needs to be completed to support other website work. The web server upgrade requires an additonal upgrade to SQL Server 2005.

I have been able to successfully migrate the forum data to SQL Server 2005 fairly easily. However, attempting to connection string in config.asp doesn't seem to work.

Does Snitz support SQL Server 2005?

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  02:54:38  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
yes, it should work with any version, you just need to add a different connection string, try something like this

strConnString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Data Source=SERVERNAME;database=DATABASENAME;UID=USERNAME;PWD=PASSWORD;"

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  04:22:41  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Just so that the question is placed correctly, this is not a matter of Snitz supporting any specific version. What happens with Snitz will happen to any ASP application on the same server, so the connection issue is not specific to Snitz.
I won't be completely definitive about it, but the connection really depends on the drivers you have on your system. If you still have older drivers, even the good ole snitz connection will do. The connection posted by Huw has been around for quite a lot of years and it was my preferred connection string for all 3.4.x versions, even on SQL Server 2000.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2011 :  04:47:04  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
and it is the one used here which is a SQL 2005 database

Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  14:33:24  Show Profile
I just used the following standard string from the config.asp on a SQL 2008 DB:

strConnString = "driver={SQL Server};server=SERVERNAME;uid=USERNAME;pwd=PASSWORD;database=DATABASENAME" '## MS SQL Server 6.x/7.x/2000 (ODBC connection)

It created the setup and works fine for what it is worth, so that should also work on a SQL 2005 DB.

Cheers,

David Greening
Go to Top of Page

PWNBA
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2011 :  23:28:46  Show Profile  Visit PWNBA's Homepage
Hmm. Perhaps something is not setup correctly or unique to the GoDaddy installation.

This works on SQL Server 2000 but on on 2005:
strConnString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=<SERVER>;database=<DB>;uid=<UID>;pwd=<PWD>"

Also tried:
strConnString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=<SERVER>;Initial Catalog=<DB>;uid=<UID>;pwd=<PWD>;"

Also tried setting Provider=SQLNCLI with no joy.

I thought it could have something to do with running on II6 trying to connect to SS2005. But.....
This does work for a web application connecting to a SS2005 DB on the same site: Data Source=<SERVER>; Initial Catalog=<DB>; User ID=<UID>; Password=<PWD>;Pooling=False
Note: No driver or provider specified.

I can't take the forums down again until this weekend. So I'll try it again then.

Bryan
PNWBA Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2011 :  15:46:07  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Odd... I've been using both of the ones below with SQL Server 2005 Epress and no problems... no reason why they shouldn't work

Provider=SQLOLEDB;server=[servername]\[named instance of SQL Server];database=[dbname];uid=[user];pwd=[password];

Provider=SQLNCLI;server=[servername]\[named instance of SQL Server];database=[dbname];uid=[user];pwd=[password];

and IRRC we added the following to the latest release:

strConnString = "Provider=SQLNCLI;server=SERVER_NAME;database=DB_NAME;uid=UID;pwd=PWD;"                                 '## MS SQL Server 2005 w/ SQL Native Client

Edited by - AnonJr on 19 May 2011 15:48:33
Go to Top of Page

PWNBA
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  01:00:18  Show Profile  Visit PWNBA's Homepage
My current forum are Version 3.4.05.
This would not connect to SS2005 regardless of the connection strings I tried.

It looks like the problem is with the GoDaddy setup SS2005 databases. In ss2000, the user and database names are different. In SS2005 must be the same. After the db restore the tables are owned by the SS2000 dbo rather than the SS2005 dbo. This created 2 different schemas to further complicate things. GoDadddy blocks creating addtional users preventing me from working around it. So I deleted the SS2000 database, created a new SS2005 with the SS2000 dbo name, restored the db, and pointed the 3.4.05 forums to the new database. BINGO that worked.

Upgrading the forum software to 3.4.07 seems to be more problematic and a topic for a different thread in a differnt group. Thanks for the help.

Bryan
PNWBA webmaster
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  04:11:37  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
you should be able to get around the schema problem by changing the following lines in config.asp

strTablePrefix = "FORUM_"
strMemberTablePrefix = "FORUM_"
strFilterTablePrefix = "FORUM_"

change them to

strTablePrefix = "SCHEMANAME.FORUM_"
strMemberTablePrefix = "SCHEMANAME.FORUM_"
strFilterTablePrefix = "SCHEMANAME.FORUM_"

where SCHEMANAME is the schema for your forum tables

Go to Top of Page

PWNBA
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2011 :  23:29:25  Show Profile  Visit PWNBA's Homepage
Thank you for all of the help folks. The issue has been resolved. Once I dropped the SS2000 DB the connection started working fine. The remainig upgrades all went smoothly.

Again, thank you for all the help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07